Worried about a D&C - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm scheduled for a D&C next week and I'm really worried. I've been reading up about it and it seems I don't need to be but I can't help it. 

I've been bleeding quite heavily for 8 days and have had very bad cramping so I thought my body was doing the job but found out today that that's not the case. The doctor thinks that it might be a molar pregnancy and recommended the D&C. 

I'm hoping that something will happen over the weekend but otherwise I don't think I have a choice and will have to go through with the D&C. 

Having to make any kind of decision while losing my baby is a bit unbearable. I'm so brokenhearted and can't stop crying and thinking about what could have been although I try not to. 

If anyone would share their story I would really appreciate it. 

Boy 05/01. Boy 06/11. brokenheart.gif 05/14 (8 weeks)
#2 of 6 Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

:Hug my heart goes out to you. I hope that something will happen this weekend.

#3 of 6 Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I chose to have a D and C bc once I knew the baby wasn't ok, I wanted things over. It was an OK experience and the nurses, drs and all were super nice and supportive. What are your concerns?

so far a mommy to 2 standard poodles, enjoying my 1st year of marriage to DH and expecting my 1st child (after 1 loss)
#4 of 6 Old 05-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

So sorry for your loss Snowjeanie. It is heartbreaking. I really sympathize with you about being scared of a d and c and I hope that you miscarry naturally before that happens. This is my D and C story, I hope it helps.

I miscarried beginning April 8 at 12 weeks 6 days. Based on what came out then I think the baby was about 8-9 weeks, but I didn't have any ultrasound prior to the miscarriage. After a couple of days of light cramping and spotting, I had three nights of very painful cramping and contractions and I passed blood, membranes, and what looked like the fetus.  I used herbs, homeopathics, and EPO to help move things, and after a couple days I went to the ER to get an ultrasound, which showed my uterus was filled with fluid but no sign of a baby or sac. After that I started getting acupuncture every week and taking Chinese herbs to help move things. I was really committed to having the miscarriage naturally and not having a D and C. I had been spotting and passing some membranes for the last five weeks, but about ten days ago the spotting lightened up and I started feeling like I was done. Then, on Wednesday I was standing on the street corner and bright red blood flooded through my pad and pants and down my legs. By the time I drove home the bleeding stopped and I thought it was my period coming back. I bled like this for the next few days, heavy bright red bleeding that always stopped before I got scared. Then yesterday afternoon I started bleeding very heavily and couldn't get it to stop despite taking several homeopathics and a ton of the Chinese herb Yunan Baiyo. I bled and passed about three cups of clots at home and on the hour drive to the ER, but still felt okay. I have been eating a ton of blood builders so I think I had a lot of blood. Once I got out of the car to walk in my ears started ringing and I had to sit down on the ground and blood and clots continued to pour out of me over the next two hours in the ER. When the OB on call finally got the ultrasound results he decided to come in and said that I had retained placenta and that based on the bleeding he was adamant I receive a D and C that night. I have a huge aversion to hospitals and a lot of distrust for western medicine in general but at that point I felt like I had no other choice so I agreed to get twilight sleep sedation and a D and C. I was terrified already, but when I got up to the OR the anesthesiologist on duty said I would have the have a general anesthetic and be put under and I was more scared than I've ever been in my life. I was crying and almost walked out of the hospital. Anyway, I did get the procedure, it went perfectly and I didn't feel traumatized. I woke up crying with gratitude to be alive and feeling very little pain. I had to spend last night in the hospital, another huge fear, but it wasn't bad at all. I have had no pain since then, very little bleeding, and I feel in my body it was the right thing. So, this is a long winded way of telling you that I am terrified of surgery and did everything in my power to avoid a D and C but in the end it wasn't bad at all. I will be thinking of you and sending prayers of healing.

#5 of 6 Old 05-13-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies and I'm sorry for your losses and that you had to go through this too. It did help hearing that it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

I was just so scared and worried that something would go wrong and I felt so vulnerable but your experiences did help calm me down a bit. 

I kept bleeding but nothing more happened over the weekend so I had the D&C this morning. It was fairly painless but the whole thing was just so sad and I was so upset that I cried while they were putting me under but everyone was so nice to me and understanding. 

There was a girl in the room with me before I went into the operating room that was explaining to the nurse why she was having an abortion. While I would never judge another woman's decision it was awful having to hear that while I had lost the baby I wanted so much. 

Boy 05/01. Boy 06/11. brokenheart.gif 05/14 (8 weeks)
#6 of 6 Old 05-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is horrible to have to hear. I lucked out and had mine on a Saturday am, no one else was there at all. I'm happy it wasn't as bad as you thought. Give yourself time, it took me a LOT longer than I thought it would to get over it emotionally.

so far a mommy to 2 standard poodles, enjoying my 1st year of marriage to DH and expecting my 1st child (after 1 loss)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page