catholic baptism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-22-2005, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had the hospital staff do a little baptism when my baby was born still at 21 weeks. They mentioned that it might be possible to take the certificate to our church (Roman Catholic) and have a Catholic baptismal certificate issued. Has anyone done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-22-2005, 11:15 AM

First, I'm so very sorry for your loss

Our priest came to the hospital and said some beautiful prayers over the baby. However, I was told that the Catholic Church cannot baptize a baby who is not alive. Even if it had lived a few weeks - once the baby has passed the church cannot baptize, nor can they issue a certificate of baptism.

Please check into this to be sure. However, if you have a priest you work with, they can say blessings for the baby.
#3 of 5 Old 05-22-2005, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have known of people who have had a Catholic baptism for their miscarried child.

I have even known of one person who had a funeral (Greek Orthodox) for their miscarried child.

I am sorry for your loss and hope you are better soon.

never forget

s

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#4 of 5 Old 09-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Mom
First, I'm so very sorry for your loss

Our priest came to the hospital and said some beautiful prayers over the baby. However, I was told that the Catholic Church cannot baptize a baby who is not alive. Even if it had lived a few weeks - once the baby has passed the church cannot baptize, nor can they issue a certificate of baptism.

Please check into this to be sure. However, if you have a priest you work with, they can say blessings for the baby.
I just wanted to bring this back up because in my experience was a little difference. My son was baptized 45 minutes after he was born, although it was determined he died shortly before birth (at the time of his baptism, he had passed, but we didn't have an official time of death). The priest said that he was first baptized by desire because we wanted him baptized and would have had him baptized if he had lived. He did perform a baptism with water as well (it wasn't holy water, but in an emergency, that doesn't matter). He didn't have the white cloth, the candle, or the oil though--he just got the water dripped on his head in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We just received his official baptism certificate in the mail yesterday. The priest that baptized our baby said that it wasn't too late for him to receive his official baptism.

I'm not sure why it's different from parish to parish though...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 5 Old 09-21-2005, 12:20 AM

We weren't able to get a hold of our priest the night that we had Finn so he was baptized by the hospital minister(about 1 1/2 hours after his stillbirth at 38 weeks). I had no discussions with our priest about getting a Catholic certificate, but I had always thought that the Catholic church recognized all Christian baptisms and when we had our Catholic grave site service the service for a baptized baby was done.
I hope that you will find receptive priests to work with you. My faith has been helpful during this difficult time and I hope that you are able to find help from your local parish. I'm sorry that you are going through this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page