recovery from a D&C - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my story is that we went in for our first appointment to hear baby's heartbeat when i was 10.5 weeks. the baby had died around 8 weeks. i was still having strong symptoms up until maybe a couple days before the appointment. so i was in total shock and so sad. i had problems with my son at birth (pre-eclampsia and hellp syndrome), so i was preparing myself for that, but not for this. i waited another three weeks hoping to miscarry on my own, but it just wasn't happening. so when i should have been 14 weeks and maybe starting to feel the baby kick, i was in the hospital put under general anesthesia and had a d&c.

i was terrified of the whole idea of the procedure, but i managed to get through. this was on friday and i am still pretty sore. i just wondered what other people's experience were with this. i lost a lot of blood during the procedure, so that is definitely contributing to my feeling run down and tired. also before the procedure my hcg was 125,000 and then 91,000. did anyone else have such high hormone counts? i go in this week for another hcg check. i have no idea what to expect in terms of how quickly the hormone levels will drop.

thanks
#2 of 4 Old 08-01-2006, 12:31 AM

HUGS mama.

I had a D&C about 2 months ago. Physically, it was quite easy for me- I never felt sore, although I did feel run down and just BLAH for a week or two. I'd encourage you to just take it easy and allow yourself time to heal and grieve.

I didn't have hcg levels drawn, so I can't help you with that. But I wanted to offer you support.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 4 Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 AM

I had a d & c in march. My worst days were days 3-5 after my procedure. I had major cramping during that time. It took about 2 weeks for me to heal & not be so swollen. I think I bleed, very slightly, for about 4 weeks or so. I got my period back around 6 or 7 weeks after.
I did not have hcg levels drawn afterwards, so I can not help you there.
Let yourself heal. I am sorry your baby died. s

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 4 Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 AM

I have had two now. I had one two weeks ago and one a little over three months ago. The first one was much more painfull physically and emotionally because I was 12 weeks. I had lot's of cramping and bleed much more heavily because of how far along I was. My second one I was only six weeks and I didn't bleed near as much and didn't have much cramping directly after but am still feeling mild cramps on and off. I think a lot of it depends on how far the preg progressed because my two experiances were very diffrent. I have no idea what my hcg levels were the first time but the second they were over 21000, but I don't think my dr has any plans of testing me at my check up. Just rest and take care of yourself, if you push too hard you will feel it, so just don't even bother. Now more than ever it is important that you take care of you.

Feel better soon
Tiffany
:Tiffany flipped mom to Jessika and 2 (Sammy 04-25-06 /Alex 07-18-06)

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page