Anyone have experience w/ Ectopic pregnancy, methotrexate and nursing - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted here recently when I thought I was miscarrying. It turns out I had an ectopic pregnancy and was treated with the drug Methotrexate. I am currently nursing my 9 mos old son. The drug is a nasty chemotherapy agent, and I was very reluctant to take it because I thought I'd have to wean. I was told by 3 different people (my OB, my Pedi and a Lactation Consultant) that it would be ok to pump and dump for 3-4 days and then resume nursing. I am so hesitant to resume nursing because this drug supposedly stays in your system for months. For this reason, you are not supposed to get pregnant for 3 mos after you get it. How could it be safe to nurse my son under these circumstances? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 03:23 PM

Let me see if I can point you to a website, if I can find it again.

Melissa S.
#3 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 03:36 PM

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/41/817.html

Here is the best information out there for you.

Dr. Hale is the most recommended person for anything to do with lactation, including drugs and their interaction with. This link will answer your question, just read through all the replies.

From my reading, it looks like 4 days of pumping and dumping.

#4 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Methotrexate is a nasty drug. I have taken it in the past for my lupus, but not for an ectopic. I would not bf and take this drug. If it were me (maybe it's too late), I would ask for a different drug that is not being used off-label. There are other drugs that do not stay in your system as long and are meant to treat ectopics. HOwever, they are significantly more expensive.
#5 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 PM

Forgot to mention that Dr. Hale is the author of the book that physicians, lactation consultants and others use when referencing drugs and their safeness during breastfeeding.

He also has a website where you can look up the information, including new drugs that have come out since his book was last published.
#6 of 8 Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
Forgot to mention that Dr. Hale is the author of the book that physicians, lactation consultants and others use when referencing drugs and their safeness during breastfeeding.

He also has a website where you can look up the information, including new drugs that have come out since his book was last published.
Dr. Hale is an awesome resource. He deserves a Lactation Gold Star Award
#7 of 8 Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of any other drugs being used for ectopic. Do you know the names? Just curious, I already had the MTX and have resumed nsg. I took Dr. Hale's advice and did 4 days of pump and dump.
#8 of 8 Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. Yes, he was the only reference that I could find that said it is ok to pump and dump and then resume nursing. A lot of other sources say you should not take MTX if you are nursing. There are limited data about it tho. Hopefully it will be ok.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page