D&C -- what do they do with the remains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this isn't too weird and disturbing a question. I'm scheduled for a D&C next week. I'm at 12 weeks but U/S showed DC stopped growing at 8 weeks. My DH wants to keep the fetal remains and bury them. I honestly don't know what to think, hadn't considered it. Has anyone done anything like this?

Julia Rose

SAHM to DS 2006 1990 2007 2008
#2 of 4 Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 PM

Julia Rose, I'm sorry you have lost your baby.

I don't think the hospital can release the remains directly to you---state laws and all.

In my case, the hospital gave us the option of the remains going to an anonymous local funeral home that had space in their cemetery devoted to babies. It was sort of a mass burial kind of concept.

We could have opted to have the remains transported to a funeral home of our choice for burial or cremation.

We didn't know about this choice until the day of the D & C, so didn't come prepared to answer. So we went with the anonymous funeral home.

I would rather have the remains somewhere I could visit. But I don't spend time beating myself up over it.

It is wise that you are considering this now, so you can make a choice that works for you. If I were you, I would call the hospital and see what your options are.

I don't think anyone has posted a question that was too weird or disturbing for this board. We understand, it's okay to ask anything.

Take care. I'll be thinking of you.
#3 of 4 Old 07-20-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Keri, that is so helpful. The D&C is being done in a private doctor's office (referred by my OB), so I will call -- though I guess honestly I'm a little afraid of what they will think. And I am not too keen to see the remains. And if DH sees them he will surely faint, as he can't stand the sight of blood. So all in all I don't know what he has planned, but when he brought it up, it kind of made sense. After all, when a pet dies you have the option of having the remains returned to you; but this is different. I think the important thing is the baby's soul, not its tiny indeterminate body . . . but I will look into it.

Julia Rose

SAHM to DS 2006 1990 2007 2008
#4 of 4 Old 07-20-2007, 12:39 AM

I'm sorry about the loss of your baby.

I was almost 32 weeks, so they pretty much gave us no choice except to do a burial or creamation with the funeral home of our choice.

I wasn't really interested in any other options though. I doubt they could release it directly to you though.

Hugs and prayers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page