Mothering Forum banner

questions about physical effects after a miscarriage

412 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  shoelace 
#1 ·
I miscarried on Saturday at 7 weeks. I have a few questions about the physical recovery that I haven't been able to find answers to by searching online (or the answers are from such mainstream sites that I'm not sure if they're really accurate).

1. Do I need to see a HCP for any reason? As far as I can tell everything is "normal", I passed a large clot initially and haven't been bleeding a whole lot.

2. Do I need to rest? I've been carrying on my normal activities, which usually includes a brisk 30-40 minute walk daily.

3. Can I wear a Diva cup now? I hate pads with a passion...I'm even using cloth and I still hate them.

4. Do I really need to wait to have sex until the bleeding has stopped?

5. I read a couple of places that the bleeding should stop completely within a week. Is this accurate?

6. Is it best to wait for one cycle before TTC again?

7. Do I need to avoid baths until the bleeding has stopped?

I think that's all...sorry for all the questions. I was kind of surprised that there wasn't a "what to expect during/after a miscarriage" thread stickied.

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Do I need to see a HCP for any reason? As far as I can tell everything is "normal", I passed a large clot initially and haven't been bleeding a whole lot.
probably not. If you don't get a BFN on a HPT within a month or so, I would recommend going in for an u/s to make sure everything has passed. Plus, if you have any signs of infection - fever, foul smells, pain I would go in ASAP

2. Do I need to rest? I've been carrying on my normal activities, which usually includes a brisk 30-40 minute walk daily.
I didn't feel a need to rest. I actually did a major camping trip 2w after my m/c. I did bleed for over a month so maybe too much excercise will prolong bleeding, possible limit exercise if you find you bleed a lot afterwards

3. Can I wear a Diva cup now? I hate pads with a passion...I'm even using cloth and I still hate them.
I'm not a Diva user, but would think it might hinder the passing of clots

due to increase infection I think it might be wise. For me, I knew my Dh would die if he found a clot on his

5. I read a couple of places that the bleeding should stop completely within a week. Is this accurate?
? Don't know. Ideally, maybe. I had moderate bleeding for 2w (more clots than blood), heavy spotting for 2w (while camping) then 1w moderate bleeding

?

My OB never mentioned it. Maybe only bathe in very clean water(home bathtub good, public hot tub bad). I did have the chance to take a dip in a natural hot spring while camping and didn't due to the chance of infection, but the water had a warning to not get it in one's mouth or nose due to some special lethal bacteria

#3 ·
My answers may not all apply to you, since I had a d&c, but I'll answer as best as I can. And I'm so so sorry for your loss.

I would think that as long as your period returns within eight weeks, you are okay to not see a HCP.

My HCP said just to listen to my body and do what I felt I was capable of doing. For the first few days, it was nothing but lying on the couch. Then I found it healing to go for long walks with my dogs. So I think as long as you listen to your body, you are okay.

I would not insert anything into the vagina until the bleeding has stopped. You just don't want to run the risk of infection.

Again, I would say yes, just to avoid infection

I think it varies from person to person. For me, after my d&c, I bled lightly/spotted for about twenty days afterwards.

Some HCPs will tell you to wait for both emotional reasons and to better date a future pregnancy. If you chart, that eliminates the dating. And only you will know when you are emotionally ready to try again.

I think so, again to avoid infection.

#4 ·
I'm so sorry about your lost little one.
I think I read absolutely everything under the sun after mine and I found MDC to be the most informative. There's a sticky for what to expect during but I am not sure how much it has in there about what to expect AFTER. Here it is:
Link
The thread I linked to is really long and pretty sad to read through, but at least it is there.

I did not. I had my m/c by myself and had no problems.

Rest is good if you need it. I didn't rest at all.

I'll third the wait until the bleeding has stopped because of risk of infection. Also it's good to know the signs of an infection. And sometimes when you think your m/c is over, suddenly you will be passing clots again. I only had one evening of intense bleeding and clots, but a lot of other women bleed for quite a while.

Yeah, because of the infection risks.

No, everyone's body is different.

Only if you need the date of your last monthly period for due dating purposes. Wait as long as YOU physically and emotionally need to. It is individual for every woman, some try immediately while others wait a year.

T be perfectly honest, I never even thought of this. I have always taken baths and I'm sure I didn't stop because of a m/c. I might have taken one shower during the worst of my bleeding. I probably wouldn't worry about it (obviously I didn't).

#5 ·
I just had a m/c and got out of the hosp. sunday night.
this is what they told me:

nothing in the vagina for 2 weeks. 2 reasons, 1 to avoid pain & 2 to avoid infection.

no baths. (2 weeks) bacteria can be in bath water and travel up into the vagina.

wait til I have one period until I try again.

no heavy lifting so I don't start the heavy bleeding again.

watch for infection. foul odor & discharge or fever of 101 or higher.

call midwife if pain/bleeding becomes worse.

I'm sorry for your loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.