Censored Textbooks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Textbooks in Texas changed to define marriage as between man and woman

Hope kids using these books never travel to Massachusets or Canada, they'll go into a state of shock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 06:19 PM

boy are they paranoid, as if that is going to change anything
#3 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

The thing that gets me is that the publishers (HOlt, Rinehart, Winston and Glencoe/McGraw-Hill) are changing their books completely. The books with the original neutral language will not be available, even for other states.
#4 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Banned

This is par for the course for Texas and textbooks. Every year the debate arises over textbooks and what should be in them. Should we teach just evolution? Or should we teach creationism along with evolution? What, if anything, should we teach in sex-"ed" classes, and how? Yada yada yada. Every year, the fundies get thrown some bone or other, if not more. It's yet another reason that, if we remain in this state long enough, I do not want my daughter attending the public schools here.
#5 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

I want to know how to find which titles are included and which school districts will be using them, since it won't be consfined to TX. And why does TX school board get to dictate textbook content for the rest of us anyway? Because they've done such a *splendid* job with education?
#6 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 08:57 PM

:Puke

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#7 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 PM

This is one of my all time hot button issues. Not just in this respect, but how PC textbooks are (and have been for a long time) It is such propaganda.

How many kids will go home and say, "the teacher said marriage is just for a man and a woman. it's even in the book"

I was horrified to see my daughters' 4th grade history book. Everything was so happy and shiny. HELLO! That's what really turned me over to homeschooling. There's no way I'm raising my kids to think our government only does good and never hurts people. (like I was taught)

whoa nelly, I'm getting off track now.
#8 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 10:31 PM

What do you want to bet that before long, we evolution will be replaced by creationism in textbooks?
#9 of 19 Old 11-05-2004, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

That's actually being worked on very seriously. When I searched for the link above (I orig heard it on the radio) I found all sorts of websites about how TX school are trying to get all kinds of scientific and "PC" things out of school textbooks.
#10 of 19 Old 11-06-2004, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy
How many kids will go home and say, "the teacher said marriage is just for a man and a woman. it's even in the book"

I was horrified to see my daughters' 4th grade history book. Everything was so happy and shiny. HELLO! That's what really turned me over to homeschooling.

Textbooks are basically useless. I would not want my child to believe love and LT relationaships/marriage is only for people of opposite sexes. Crap really.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#11 of 19 Old 11-06-2004, 01:41 AM

I think that marriage should be defined as the union between a hamster and a prairie chicken. That'll show 'em!

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#12 of 19 Old 11-06-2004, 02:57 AM

maybe Lies My Teacher Told Me should be a required textbook too?
#13 of 19 Old 11-06-2004, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy
I was horrified to see my daughters' 4th grade history book. Everything was so happy and shiny. HELLO! That's what really turned me over to homeschooling. There's no way I'm raising my kids to think our government only does good and never hurts people. (like I was taught)
Well I'll join you. Off track that is.
My extended family and many of their friends are the sort of liberal, public school advocates that cringe when I mention charter schools and think homeschooling is for parents that don't want their kids to learn about Darwin. Funny thing is that most of the homeschoolers I know, myself included, are homeschooling for the very reasons you've brought up here, and the OP brought up with that textbook. Scary, isn't it?
#14 of 19 Old 11-06-2004, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
maybe Lies My Teacher Told Me should be a required textbook too?
Yep. I mentioned this earlier, but imagine the shock and disgust I felt when reading about how Hawaii was really won, how the Phillipino people were really treated, and how America really dealt with Japanese American citizens during WWII. :Puke
#15 of 19 Old 11-06-2004, 08:07 AM

Problem solved!

Hey, that was easy.
#16 of 19 Old 11-07-2004, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liawbh
And why does TX school board get to dictate textbook content for the rest of us anyway?
Money, of course. Texas is a big state with lots of schoolchildren. Publishers want their textbooks to sell in Texas, so they rewrite them to make them "acceptable" to the religious fundamentalists. *All the major publishers do this, so the rest of the U.S. ends up with health texts that don't mention contaception, science books that include creationism, and now texts that define marriage as being between a man and a woman.
#17 of 19 Old 11-07-2004, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom
Problem solved!

Hey, that was easy.

#18 of 19 Old 11-07-2004, 09:03 AM

No, gay marriage does not legitimize being gay. The marriage contract (license) issued by the government in no way confers any sort of moral approval on the people entering into the contract. You go in, sign a paper - they don't care who you are or why you're doing it.

And having a civil marriage contract in hand doesn't mean the local synagogue or church would agree to solemnize the marriage.

We live in a pluralistic society - in some religious faiths gays are welcome, they are married, and are 'legitimate' couples. Gay marriage isn't about getting one's particular church or moral system to bend to 'legitimate' gay married couples. Gay civil marriage is about contractual rights and benefits in a pluralistic society. Anything less is discrimination. As to the moral 'legitimation' of gay marriage, that is a matter for the churches.
#19 of 19 Old 11-09-2004, 08:03 AM

I can't pull up your article now, so I can't remember if it covered this, but I just ran across this story, also about textbooks in Texas. This time, they're going for sex ed books that teach abstinence only, and make little to no mention of contraceptives:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/08...extbooks.reut/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page