Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

whats up girls?
#2 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

i thought it was time for another anarchist chat, especially b/c of the election drama, but then i realized i REALLY REALLY REALLY have to get my ass to work. so please pull up a chair, have a beer, talk amongst yourselves, smash the state, and pm me when it's time for the revolution.
#3 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 08:38 PM

Checking in. I'll have to take my beer & go--gotta go have dinner with the family tonight. But I look forward to meeting other anarchist mamas. I don't know any IRL. I've been pretty disengaged from the movement for a while, but that's a long, boring story. But I'm glad to be here.
#4 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 08:42 PM

mmmm....anarchy.

:
#5 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 10:51 PM

I don't know if I qualify, I know I'd like it if everyone would just let people live their lives and stop deciding that some don't deserve the same rights as others.

But bottom line, I feel a big ol high finger fly to the masses
#6 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 10:58 PM

Checking in!

I've never felt at home in the liberal chat. I don't follow any particular anarchist theoretical stance, but this is definitely the closest political designation to my own views.

Wouldn't it be nice if this thread could be both support, vent and chock-full of beautiful sarcasm?

And why is it that folks are so darned interested in following the rules these days? Or is it just my impresssion?

chaka, you almost made me laugh loud enough to wake the dd.

Beer? If I wasn't pregnant and broke... But have one with me in spirit.

Moving on...
Kim

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#7 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi hi hi hi i am here. i just noticed and was going on and on about various stuff the i saw this and linked. yeah
o.k. i got ****a little**** overly excited there.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#8 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 11:11 PM

Is this thread for people who support Anarchy for the US as viable, or for people who view Anarchy as a utopian ideal?

#9 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 11:52 PM

Ahhhhh Hey ladies! Now I feel more at home...thanks for making this thread.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#10 of 171 Old 11-10-2004, 11:57 PM

:

half-assed checking in...

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#11 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 12:05 AM

May I share your popcorn?

#12 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 12:16 AM

*hands willowsmom the bowl*

: :

#13 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 12:18 AM

#14 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 AM

i popcorn....

also taking this opportunity to do the happy dance...

bought a new cd today....eMOTIVe.....anyone else lovin' the heck outta this one?

#15 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 01:29 AM

Quote: And why is it that folks are so darned interested in following the rules these days?

A: The threat of eternal banishment keeps many in line.
#16 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 01:37 AM

tired, were anarchist no rules baby!!!!
btw i supprot it as a utopian idea, esp. after so many of my um commrads turned out to be rich kids playing.
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#17 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
Quote: And why is it that folks are so darned interested in following the rules these days?

A: The threat of eternal banishment keeps many in line.

:LOL

wait, are you talking about IRL or MDC????

hi y'all, I'm trying to fight back carpal tunnel and tendonitis, so I'm trying to stay away from mdc, but I can't resist anarchist mommas (and papas, if any check in) shooting the breeze.

My toddler puked on me three times :Puke :Puke :Puke tonight! that has nothing to do with anarchy, I'm pretty sure! But I think it frightened the anarchist friends (childless of course ) who were visiting.
#18 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 01:42 AM

sadie, I'm sure you can figure out the answer

sorry about the carpal tunnel ect, I'm fighting the same thing and so limiting my time online last few days.
#19 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 01:46 AM

How about some non-conformist Tatas? I don't ID as any one particular outlook on politics, but this is as close as I can get in mixed company.

Rules? Hmm. I think they have the appeal of allowing the people who zealously follow them to feel like they're actually important people. And, you the rule breaker are lower than dirt. Ever read The Wave by Ron Jones?

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#20 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 01:48 AM

is that were you two have been? i just thought arduinna was celebrating bitrthdays or something, and you sadie i thought you left us for canada but forgot to let me caravan.
when i see the rules my immediate reaction i to do the opposite, i.e. there is a lock on that cabinet, i say hmmm why is the cabinet locked? i must see what is inside. it must be the oppositional defiance disorder i passed down to ian 'cos he got it too. lol.
maya

#21 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 01:55 AM

I'm still figuring out my own political views. But here's a shirt ya'll will appreciate:

http://www.proletarianthreads.com/tshirts/t121.html

hang.gif  

#22 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 02:02 AM

I like those.

#23 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya
sadie i thought you left us for canada
no way!!!

Not only am I determined to stay and fight, i live in San Francisco, fer cryin' out loud...I can't think of a better place to fight from.

It's gotta get a lot worse beofore I give up...not that I'm ruling out that possibility
#24 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 02:16 AM

i know that's why i was surprised.
love s.f. i lived there or around there for years.
if i knew you then i wouldnt have moved....
maya

#25 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 02:42 AM

San Francisco and the whole Bay Area is an interesting place. We lived there in Oakland for two years, (love the Black Muslim Bakery! Hope it's still there. ) We used to spend afternoons walking the beach of the Pacific, avoiding stepping on needles.

I always got the feeling that the North part of California would love to split from the South part.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#26 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 02:55 AM

So what does anarchism mean to all of you who identify yourselves as anarchists? I'd really like to know. For me, what it boils down to (to put it really simply), is mutual aid and cooperation (in the spirit of Kropotkin, Proudhoun, Berkman, Goldman, Chomsky, Zinn, etc.)

And for me, it's not a utopian ideal because "utopia" literally means "no place". Anarchism, in some form, is attainable in my view. It's just really difficult to make happen and probably even more difficult to maintain. So to answer the question to the person who asked if you're an anarchist in a utopian or real sense (sorry, can't remember the exact wording) then I'd have to say in the ideal sense. I don't look like an anarchist. I live in the suburbs. I drive a Volkswagen and have two kids. But I also live as closely to my political beliefs as I can. I've disengaged myself from the "anarchist movement" because I found a lot of mysogyny in it and big old egos that I just couldn't deal with. But I still believe in anarchism and will always identify myself as an anarchist.

I'd like to hear from others what your thoughts are.
#27 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 03:11 AM

hey mommas,
i am really interested in learning more about anarchy, does anybody have any good websites?

definetly a non conformist and bah, bah black sheep.
#28 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 03:21 AM

lunamomma,

There are lots of good sources out there, but here's a good site: http://www.infoshop.org/faq/. It's really comprehensive. I'll post more as I come up with more. I've got lots of good bookmarks on another computer.

Another good site for basic info. is at Wikipedia. Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism.

The basic definition they give for anarchy is:
Quote:
One common use of the English word anarchy is "a state of lawlessness or political disorder", otherwise known as anomie. This use of the word implies a broad definition: usually, any situation where there is no internationally recognized government is considered anarchy. The current political situation in Somalia, for example, is referred to as a state of anarchy using this definition, since it is in a state of chaos [1] (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...s/so.html#Govt).

However, in anarchist philosophies, anarchy means an "anarchist society", that is, a society where individuals are free from coercion. Few anarchists would point to Somalia as an example of "anarchy". They would argue that Somalia's warlord system is merely another face of despotism, characterized by brutal use of force by self-appointed rulers. Anarchists do not believe, as Jean-Francois Revel wrote in Democracy against Itself, that "... anarchy leads to despotism ... despotism leads to anarchy ..." [2] (http://www.modulaware.com/a/?m=select&id=0029263875).
#29 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 03:30 AM

Thanks! I think I'm gonna like it here.....
#30 of 171 Old 11-11-2004, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

hey, you guys drank all the beer while i was gone : that's anarchists for ya

mamadawg, i like what you said... i'm pretty much in the same boat as you... or the same VW as you were.

Yeah to me anarchism is both a goal (not in the sense of a utopian ideal, but more in the sense of the kind of society i am striving to create - not in my lifetime or my kid's lifetime, but someday for real) and a way of life. In the sense that, if I am being mindful and on top of my s*(&, then I try to live my life and make decisions according to anarchist ideals. Including an unabiding and completely irrational faith in the capacity of humans to do good, a passion for justice and willingness to fight injustice, a distrust of authority and hatred of authoritarianism, a commitment to mutual aid (truly taking care of one another in every way available to us), a commitment to seeing that everyone's vocie is heard and valued, a sense of the big picture and the good of the collective, accountability to the collective, commitment to each person's autonomy and trust of each person to make their own decisions about their own situation... um, there's more but that'll due for now. These are a few of my anarchist things.

mamadawg, ugh i hear you on the hypocrisy of the so-called anarchist "movement." I really do not want to get started on that conversation b/c it would be ugly ugly ugly. Let me just say I had the same experience only my issues w/ them were more about race than gender. BUT then I moved to NY! And there is this incredible community of anarchists of color here who know what's up and get s&^* done! And thusly my faith was renewed.

On the topic of "manarchists" and other hypocrites, I feel like I have to make a disclaimer - infoshop.org is a great resource for anarchist stuff and alt news, and i love their FAQ, BUT BUT BUT I personally really hate their discussion boards and I would just like to say that IME the people on the boards over there are NOT representative of the many anarchists I know who are intelligent, caring, respectful, humble, dedicated activists and organizers, fighting the man in their communities. Presumably they are so busy actually changing the system that they don't have time to sit around and talk smack on infoshop.org. (Um, what does that say about us on MDC : nevermind)

be11ydancer, love the shirt! they should make queer versions.
my friends make these: http://babybloc.org/zines&comics.html
i want them to make "CHILDREN ARE BORN ANARCHISTS" shirts too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page