Mothering Forum banner

Is this a joke? Bush nominated for Nobel Peace Prize!!!

4K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Forest Sage 
#1 ·
TAKE ACTION! Protest the Nomination of George W. Bush and Tony Blair for Nobel Peace Prize
>http://www.eskimo.com/~cwj2/actions/bushblairnobel.html
They say that satire died when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, but if a Right-wing Norwegian MP has his way, the Nobel committee will be spitting on its grave.
Harald Tom Nesvik, a member of the Norwegian Parliament from the Right-wing Party of Progress, has nominated U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair and U.S. President George W. Bush for the Nobel Peace Prize for "decisive action against terrorism, something I believe in the future will be the greatest threat to peace." According to the provisions of Nobel, the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."
Tony Blair has ordered more military actions than any U.K. leader since World War II, with at least one military action every year since 1998.
George W. Bush has urged budgets massively increasing the size and funding of the U.S. standing military, continued and deepened U.S. military aid for the on-going civil war in Colombia and Israeli military occupation of Palestine, and initiated a war not only against Afghanistan, but an undefined, open-ended "War on Terrorism" which administration officials daily threaten to expand to other nations such Iran, North Korea, and Iraq.
Vice President Dick Cheney told the Washington Post that the campaign of warfare the President has launched "may never end. At least, not in our lifetimes." Both Bush and Blair have refused to work with multilateral consultation and diplomacy through peace congresses, with Bush's refusal to secure UN Security Council approval before initiating the war in Afghanistan, and Blair's refusal to place the British troops occupying Sierra Leone under the command of United Nations Peacekeeping forces.
Urge the Nobel Institute to reject the nomination of Tony Blair and George W. Bush. Reckless and ever-expanding pursuit of war is not peace,and awarding the Peace Prize for massive world-wide military campaign would be a slap in the face of peace and justice activists world wide.
For more Bush and Blair's nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize, see:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...645075,00.html

To take action, go to:
>http://www.eskimo.com/~cwj2/actions/bushblairnobel.html

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw this posted over at hipMama a while back and it almost made me puke...

Someone who started a WAR nominated for a PEACE prize
???

There's NO WAY he can win this! If he does, I'm packin' my bags and takin' the fam to Mexico! It's bad enough that so many people are actually starting to have respect for this moron! Grrrrrr...... I'll stop now before I explode!

Thanks for posting

#3 ·
Quote:
Vice President Dick Cheney told the Washington Post that the campaign of warfare the President has launched "may never end. At least, not in our lifetimes."
okay, i am not even going to comment on the absurdity of the nomination, but i can't resist pointing out the deliciousness of the above quote. cheney has had what, FOUR heart attacks? his lifetime could very well end tomorrow. of course he expects the war to outlast him.

okay, i am a bad person for laughing at that, like y'all didn't know!

#8 ·
Not to stir up trouble but... don't you think all those people (especially women) who were under control of the taliban and probably facing murder and beatings are at all worth Bush's efforts to stop the taliban and get rid of terrorism? I just wonder sometimes if a liberal democrat was in office and dropping bombs, would more people support him?

#9 ·
I ranted about this to my brother and he took it very calmly. According to him, this is a "non-event." Someone is always being nominated for something, or holding a press conference in order to say nothing, etc. Events like this are merely smoke screens to disguise what's really going on. (Like the fact that Bush has a nuclear hit-list--see the other thread.)

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by boobybooby
Not to stir up trouble but... don't you think all those people (especially women) who were under control of the taliban and probably facing murder and beatings are at all worth Bush's efforts to stop the taliban and get rid of terrorism? I just wonder sometimes if a liberal democrat was in office and dropping bombs, would more people support him?

Whether its a liberal democrat, a right-wing republican, the pope, Oprah, Pee Wee Herman, *WHOEVER* makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE! The fact is, INNOCENT people, including children, are being killed in this war and anyone who thinks Bush is a hero is fooling themselves... Do people really beleive that this war is just about terrorism? That Bush has no other interests there?

Also, hundreds of women are beaten and murdered by their partners in this country all of the time, and what does Bush do to protect them? Our government is so laid back about what they refer to "domestic violence" that someone who kills their spouse gets less time in jail than if it were a stranger they murdered... How is that OK?

Bush Sucks...

#11 ·
boobybooby - Is there such a thing as a true liberal democrat? I think many of us feel there is one party, the Republicrats. If Ralph Nader were in office, I highly doubt we would have bombed at all. We probably would have shown some iota of patience and seen political pressure bring OBL to justice. Now we have bombed a country, killed thousands, and guess what? no OBL!!!

Regarding the women of Afghanistan, of course they are worthy of living in dignity. I guess I'll have to ask you: why was it perfectly acceptable for the Taliban to treat their women this way a year ago when we gave the Taliban $40 million as a "thank you" for banning opium production? They didn't just start treating them badly a month before 9/11...

Hundreds of activists in this country had been crying out about the abuses for years and guess what? Mr. Bush and Mr. Clinton didn't give a sh** about it then. Yes, the Taliban have been brought down, but let's not kid ourselves that our purpose for doing it was to save the women of the Afghanistan...and BTW, they are still living in poverty and being governed by warlords...

Bush is the LAST person who should be given a Nobel Prize...

#13 ·
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just am happy that the Taliban is being dismantled, and trying to look at the bright side, so to speak, if there is one. I'm merely suggesting that I am happy we don't have a wimp in office right now, otherwise who knows how many 9-11's we would have had already since the first one? For me, the war started officially when 3000 innocent people died in NYC. I don't necessarily think Bush should get a "prize" for retaliating, I'm just glad that he did. It sends a powerful message to terrorists who have no morality within them, that we will respond to such horrible acts with force if needed. How do we respond to such savage acts,? defensively, so that we can be able to protect ourselves and others from future terrorist atrocities. We can't do anything about what has happened in the past, like the 40 mil someone mentioned we gave to the taliban, but we can do something now and stop putting up with them. It's hard to move ahead when we hang the past mistakes of a person, country, etc over their head and call "foul". That's only my opinion. Like I said, I wasn't trying to sir up trouble just give my input.

#14 ·
The Northern Alliance that the Us has teamed up with doesn't have such a hot record in terms of Women's rights. What about Saudi Arabia with whom the US has such a cozy relationship..Hardly the beacon of women's rights.

Hmm sorry as a survivor of (-11 and a person who lost many peeps I know..I can't think of amyone less worthy to recieve the noble peace prize...ok may Giuliani..or Ashcroft.they don't deserve it either...mass detentions of people with no legal groud, snactions on people of Iraq and Cuba, bombing innocents in Afghanistan...sorry vegence does not equal a peacemaker.

Paz,
Mami Mala

#16 ·
If anyone thinks we were in Afghanistan just to dismantle the Taliban and find OBL, you should read the following links. I think Dubya's main issue has to do with OIL and the big corporate companies like ENRON. OBL was a great excuse. The ONLY good that has come of this mess is the freedoms that the Afghans now have. We have yet to find OBL...I find that very interesting. Where to next?

http://www.alternet.org/letters_ed.html?BulletinID=13

and

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12525

#17 ·
WHAT??? We went to war over OIL, not lofty humanitarian ideals? I am STUNNED!! This has never happened before!!

*sigh* I'd like to be stunned, actually. I wish that my first reaction to such ideas could be disbelief, but in reality my first thought was "well, of course! again!" That's sad.

Mamaste,

Pallas
Mum to Cub, Chum to Hub

#18 ·
Quote:
We can't do anything about what has happened in the past, like the 40 mil someone mentioned we gave to the taliban, but we can do something now and stop putting up with them. It's hard to move ahead when we hang the past mistakes of a person, country, etc over their head and call "foul". That's only my opinion. Like I said, I wasn't trying to sir up trouble just give my input.
Excuse me? Maybe you should try and tell that to the people who lost families in the Holocaust...really, they should forgive Hitler and move on, get rid of those Holocaust musuems, forget about bringing anyone else to trial...and as a matter of fact let's get rid of prisons because most people are in there for mistakes they've made....getting caught doped up and with drugs...accidentally shooting someone in a fit of rage..frankly, I think the "mistakes" that people make that cost the lives of many many innocent civilians should be pondered, debated and dealt with for years. I don't think there is a statute of limitations on murder, is there? It is so interesting that the mistakes of OUR LEADER or OUR COUNTRY or OUR SERVICEPEOPLE somehow don't have to stand up to scrutiny...have you ever heard about the International War Crimes Tribunal and The International Court of Law? Did you know that we wholeheartedly support it for criminals, government officials and servicepeople of OTHER countries but there is no way an American will ever have to face these courts, nope, we have flat out refused to stand up to international scrutiny.....you may say that the US can police themselves, well tell that to all the folks killed in all the massacres in Vietnam that were so well covered up by our government that we have only begun to find out about them....

I brought up the point about the Taliban and the $ because you seem to think that liberating the Afghan women was actually on the radar screen when we went after that country....it was a very nice propaganda piece that actually seems to be working on people but like I said, our gov't didn't give a s*** a year ago and we didn't give a s*** on 9/10. You also seem to think that those of us opposed to Bush and his actions somehow means we don't believe in the rights or dignity of these women. Of course I do, because I was actually well informed and WORKING on this cause well before 9/11. And BTW, for the activists involved in this cause, it was difficult to even get lip service from the politicans on this one before 9/11, then guess what? 9/11 happened and EVERYONE seemed to care be about those poor women...

Sorry boobybooby but you "stirred up a bit of trouble" with me....

#19 ·
You bring up some very good points, Deirdre. My 17 yo dd did a persuasive essay for her honor's English class last school year on the Taliban and the treatment of Afghan women. The students had to present their papers to the class. The class was allowed to ask questions and challenge the positions presented in the students' papers. My dd told me that only one other person besides the teacher had even heard of the Afghan women's plight

The experience of researching this topic led her to find out about other atrocities, like genital mutilation, that women are forced to endure in other parts of the world. I'm happy to say that she has tried to involve her school's Amnesty International group in taking some actions to help women's right around the world.

#20 ·
I am only saying that I think it's time to end terrorism, if you don't feel the same, then so be it. I cannot right the wrongs of others, every country has bad history. I did not say we should forget THE VICTIMS of any atrocity, just to be clear. I am all for remembering and honoring the suffered and dead, especially those who perished from the Nazi's, and the slaves. Ironically, that's why I think that doing nothing in light of what happened to NYC is wrong. I don't feel like it is a good idea for the US to sit here and do nothing when we are attacked like we were on 9-11. If someone broke into your home on 9-11 and tried to kill your family you would defend yourselves, I assume. So America is rightfully defending their home in light of the attack. Of course there is a history of political mess with the middle east, when hasn't there been? But I hardly think that constantly pointing the finger at the US accurately tells the entire story. Should we be better off to let terrorism flourish, and our people and other countries suffer more attacks? Do we somehow DESERVE 9-11 because of the things you mentioned, Deidre? Just because no one cared as much about Afghan women until after 9-11 doesn't mean their prayers would never be answered. The point is we care more NOW. It's never too late IMO to start caring. It has been brought to our attention and I am glad attention is being given. I just think that as we enjoy our freedom we should give more thanks. We have a country who not only defends itself well, but comes to the defense of other countries, at the cost of American lives. Remeber that if you were elsewhere, no one at all might seem to care about you, and you might be praying for a miracle.

#23 ·
And in the meantime, while it takes thousands of people to sit down and decide what alternatives to use, we should have left those terrorist camps continue on with their business of plotting and carrying out more attacks? That to me would be doing nothing, while the enemy furthers their plans to destroy others. We will never know how many attacks may have been diverted by our attemts thus far to get those terrorists captured, on the run and some of them gone forever. At least I have the comfort that our country finally took action (we have been allowing and putting up with terrorism a long time!) to protect our children and our grandchildren from these camps sprouting evil people that have one cause, executing Americans.

#24 ·
And who is the enemy? What do most people know about the "enemy" besides what they see/hear in mainstream media? What do people know about how the US will ofen make an "enemy" out of who was once and "ally"? May I remind people thgat the US trained Mujahadden in and around Afghanistan against another "enemy" , Communist USSR?

Not in my name nor in the name of my child am I supporting or going to support illegal detentions ( why is no one talking about thius because you feel it doesn't directly efect you) , bombing a nation that needs schools and food not Go USA propoganda. \

Maybe the Nobel should go to the Women of Afghanistan or the families of victims both in the US and abroad? How can one give a Peace Prize to someone who is promoting war? It makes no logical sense.

Paz
MM

#26 ·
So NM engage me if you will ( lol I must be a glutton for punishment) Ok so lets say the US with G.W.B as its leader manages to contain the Islamic fundementalists who you say are the enemy . What about other people who are labled "Terrorists"
( mostly people who disagree with Us. world policy) . When and at who do we draw the line? WHo else do you want to get before they get us? BY the way who is us? All Us citizens. What about Islamic fundementalist here> How should they be dealt with ( including what is currently happening)

I stand by my point that todays ally seems to end up as tommorow's enemy

Ah the Us certainly has killed way more then 3,000 people....couldn't another country say the same thing about the US?

Paz,
Mami Mala

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.