Best hemp doublers? (& how to wash?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-29-2008, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 18 month DD is a very heavy wetter. We need a new cover after every big pee which is a pain. We use a diaper service which uses cotton diapers. I really wish we had the option of hemp dipes but oh well. We are just about to begin PL so I'm not changing much at this point. However, I'd like to be able to use hemp doublers with her regular dipes so I'm not going through covers so fast. So....good brands? And, how do I wash them? Since I don't wash my own dipes I don't know how to do it - can they go in with regular laundry if I rinse them first? I will be putting the doubler under the main diaper so they won't get poop on them (hopefully!). TIA!!!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#2 of 3 Old 12-29-2008, 02:57 AM

Any Hemp diapers are good. Hemp is very absorbent. It may take at least couple of wash/dry for it to be fully absorbent. I, being too lazy, just started to use after one wash/dry. It can be washed in the machine wash and dried in the dryer. Because it is more absorbent than cotton, it takes longer to dry. I ususally dry it once, then, dry again for 10-30 more minutes... depending on how many other things I need to dry together.

Also, if you ever get poop, it comes off easily.
#3 of 3 Old 12-29-2008, 03:11 AM

Love hemp.
Very absorbent. Doublers are great and easy to care for. Wash hot and dry.
Need to prepare them a little for best absorbency. Most of us who use hemp for our diapers in the wahm world will prepare hemp prior to construction. Larger diaper companies may incorporate a margin of extra size to allow for some shrinkage and preparation of the fabric on your end.
Hemp will get a little stiff after many uses -- but so does bamboo velour after a while too.

Hoping your new hemp works well for your needs.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page