Dirty diaper storage: wetbags, pails, what do I need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our laundry is on the main level, baby's room/our bedroom on the 2nd level. What would you get if you were me to store dirty diapers? If you answer diaper pail, what kind? If you answer wet bag, what size and where do you store yours?

Also, what size wetbag for the diaper bag?

And finally, if you'd like to recommend your fave wetbags, please do!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Same here! Looking forward to the responses ...

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 PM

What works for us is to have the pail on the main floor. It's a kitchen sized trash can with pop-up lid and a pail liner. Then I have a wet bag, not sure what size but I'd guess 12x16 or so (it's a Wahmies). I keep it in a basket of other diapering supplies like the diapers, wipes, bottle of wipe solution, extra cover, etc..and I take the basket with me to whatever room I will be in. So it goes upstairs with us for the night or hangs out in the living room when we do. Dirties go into the wetbag until it gets full and then I take a trip to the pail to unload. The same wetbag goes into the diaper bag for outings, but I am thinking of getting a new one for the diaper bag. It's a bummer to be out and about and realize you've forgotten the wetbag.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM

We don't have a diaper pail, we use a regular trash can with a lid. We have a Simple Human trash can which I like because it is hard for little fingers to get open. In it we have a large Bummis wetbag which works well. We store it in our laundry room on the main floor because 99% of DS's diapers are changed on the main floor. We don't have anything in his room on the 2nd floor.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM

We actually have two changing "stations" -- one upstairs and one downstairs. I use a regular diaper pail (because the step-pedal garbage cans all seem to break easily, but this pail by Safety 1st has lasted us nearly three years, no probs, and it's cheap). We have four pails now: two for CDs and two for garbage, because they work better than garbage cans.

No matter which type of pails you go with, or if you choose a regular plastic garbage can, make sure it is NOT airtight.

We use nylon laundry bags as liners. I wash them with the CDs but hang to dry. They are not waterproof -- they are breathable and have holes. You ideally don't want to store wet or dirty diapers for any length of time in a waterproof, airtight container. That breeds mildew, which will ruin CDs.

Wetbags for me, are fine for occasional use, or if you don't close them up all the way, as long as you launder regularly. But most people I know hang their wetbags, which means they're closed up and no air gets in. I wouldn't use one regularly because I only wash CDs every 3-4 days. So for me, using something that is stored in a breathable container works better. But for someone who washes daily or every other day, a wetbag can work just fine.

I use a gallon Ziploc for my wetbag in my diaper bag. I've used the same one for over a year now. I just rinse it out and reuse it. But I'm cheap.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM

I have a standing laundry hamper with a lid, it has holes on all four sides and in the lid, and a Rainforest Babies pail liner with an elasticized top. I put it in the hamper like a trash bag in a kitchen can. Works beautifully for me, and the elastic is really heavy duty.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:03 PM

I use a kitchen garbage can and use a wetbag as a liner. I thinkt he pail is 13 gal. I can't remember for the life of me where I got my wetbag, but I think you would need an extra large one. I have use plastic shopping bags or garbage bags in a pinch.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM

I use a 5 gal bucket w/ a lid from the hardware store (put the lid on loosly so there is air flow). I wash at the laundromat & it is super easy for me to carry w/ the handle & just dump into the washer. It is also super easy to clean. I just spray it w/ vinegar & water and wipe out.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM

we got a wicker hamper with a flip-top lid from target, and 2 nylon laundry bags to use as liners -- the bag gets washed with the diapers, so we have an extra one that is clean and ready to use while the wash is going. the wicker is breathable, so we get less stink that way.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

User Tag List