Can i wash and dry microfleece covers on hot--parasite related and potentially triggery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, and please close this window without reading further if you have a weak stomach.

My family, including 12mods, all have scabies and will shortly be packing up every stitch of clothing ande bedding we can't wash and dry on jhot. I'm at a loss about ds's hygeine, since he can't wear sposies and is on the mother of all EC potty strikes.

Can his "almost but not quite outgrown" homemade microfleece covers go in the hot cycle?

If not, can my stash of microfleece fabric go in the hot cycle with my wool yardage so i can frantically sew up new covers?

Does anyone have a better idea for the interim than Gerber Plastic Pants and pins for outings/work and watching where i step at home?

tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would totally try washing them on hot. I mean, if you don't, what are you going to do with them? Toss them? You obviously can't sell them...

Seems like it's worth a try, at least, right? Am I missing something? At worst, you wash them on hot, they break down or something, and you're back to square 1. At best, they're fine and you save some cash, right?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

They would still be useable after disinfecting by other means (sealing in plastic and waiting until the bugs die from lack of a human host) and they're a pain to sew, but they are kind of pilly and almost outgrown so you're probably right.

oh, i should probably have mentioned that i mostly use prefolds and flats and don't mind waiting on my fuzzibuns.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Dh regularly washes & dries my wool and fleece on hot but I have yet to see any ill effects. I think it would be ok.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
They would still be useable after disinfecting by other means (sealing in plastic and waiting until the bugs die from lack of a human host) and they're a pain to sew, but they are kind of pilly and almost outgrown so you're probably right.

oh, i should probably have mentioned that i mostly use prefolds and flats and don't mind waiting on my fuzzibuns.
AH, gotcha. Didn't realize the other means were available. Hmmm. Are you going to be making the next size up soon, anyway? If so, I'd still go for it.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

yea, i got smart and got`bathing suit fabric for the binding on the new extra large ones so i won't put holes in my thumb putting pins through five layers of fleece again. Maybe it'll go much easier and faster than I think this time.

i was planning (and gradually purchasing fabric for) two woolies, a microfleece in rasta colours to match ds's hat, and maybe a patchwork with scraps from all of his newborn fleece goodies.

if there isn't going to be time for that, i have a fleece wrap (like a Moby Wrap) that i can cut up.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM

I wash on hot all the time , but I have had fleece get rough melted patches from being dried on hot

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM

I've never had any issues with drying on hot with my fleece covers. Good luck!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

i teach preschool, and we have had scabies go through this year. if i remember right, borax and detergents with color safe bleach in them will kill the scabies. not sure if theyd be ok for diapers though. i would think maybe if it was just for a short time. id def go ahead and wash the fleece on hot. id do the color safe bleach thing on the clothes/ bedding if you can for sure, and then dry on hot. good luck, sounds like a pain to deal with .

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!

User Tag List