Homemade laudry soap that's safe for dipes. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this has been talked about, but couldn't find it on search.

What are some safe laundry soap recipes for diapers, particularly PUL. I've heard that the ones using grated soap and borax (what I just started making) are too harsh.

Thanks!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#2 of 3 Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 AM

Any recipe using grated soap is going to leave residue on your dipes, especially if you are using dipes made of synthetic materials. Some people on here stated that cotton dipes would work ok with a homemade detergent, but I didn't have a great experience with it. Homemade recipes aren't harsh, they just don't rinse that well due to the soap. In fact, after I stopped using it, I could always tell when I washed something that had previously been washed in the homemade stuff as the wash water would have lots of floating soap residue in it.

I read on here that a recipe using equal parts washing soda, Borax and an oxygen cleaner was ok for dipes, and I used it a couple of times but didn't find it to clean as well as I would have liked.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#3 of 3 Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 AM

We used country save very successfully with our dipes - and it is basically washing soda and borax - I'd have to check the box, but those were the main ingredients.

I also used the simple green recipe I got off a diaper/detergent website (which I can't find anymore), and it worked well too, but I think simple green is an enzyme cleaner, so I didn't use it all the time. We have hard water and a front loader, so I never tried any real soap recipes. Hope that helps!

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page