help! dirty diapers stinking up whole house - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep my dd's dirty diapers in an extra large bummis pail liner. I hang it on the railing at the top of the basement steps and I keep the basement door closed. I wash diapers every other day. This bag is stinking up the house, it's really gross. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, I mean, I know it's giong to stink a little, but this is HORRIBLE. It smells like horrible poopy, dead fish. It's embarassing when people come to my house, you can smell it right away. I actually put my dd in sposies today because my dh can't stand it anymore and said we need to come up with another solution before using cds again. My mom used cloth with me and my brother and she suggested a wet pail. She kept bleach water in hers and washed diapers every day. I don't want to use bleach, and I also don't want a drowning hazard in my house.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could I sprinkle baking soda in the bag with the diapers? Or maybe my bag is getting old and isn't keeping odors inside anymore? It goes thruough the entire wash with the diapers, so it gets a hot wash every other day. It usually feels wet on the outside when I dump it in the washer. Is that normal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Can you keep the pail outside? I had much better luck with diaper smell with a open bin just outside the door. And really you could use another bag because they do breakdown if you are washing and drying them. No fun by all diapers stink when dirty.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Hmmm... I don't use that type of wetbag for laundry, but wet on the outside doesn't sound normal to me. Nor does the smell.

Do your diapers smell funny on your dd? I mean, I use a pail with a lid, and I can smell dipe when I open it, but not even in the same room. I do wonder if your bag is not waterproof anymore and is letting yuckies seep to the outside. I also wonder if you dipes need stripping if they smell quite bad.

What do you do with a poopy dipe? Use a liner? Sprayer? Swish?

I have heard people putting baking soda in their pail, so that might be a solution, but I don't think the strong smell is normal...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Isn't the Bummis wet bag not an actual wetbag? That could be why.

You can sprinkle baking soda, or put the bag into a pail that has a lid. But I agree that the strong smell is totally not normal. How often do you wash it?

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

When the diapers are clean, they smell like nothing at all. And when dd wets in them, they don't stink, so I don't think they need to be stripped. They don't stink on dd. Well, when she poops it stinks, but like it should, not like incredibly horrible stinking. When we get a poopy dipe I shake the solids into the toilet and dunk if necessary (usually not needed), then throw it in the bag. The stinking gets really bad at the end of the day, when diapers from all day are in there. My bummis bag is a wet bag, meant to be a pail liner or hanging bag. I think the bag is the problem. I think it's getting too old and is no longer waterproof. It's been washed with the diapers every other day in hot water for about a year. I hang it to dry, but still, all that hot water has probably killed its ability to hold stinkies inside. I've been cding for a year and half and this problem just started. I guess its time for a new bag. Thanks for your input, mamas!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 AM

I definitely think a new bag is in order... I was also thinking, is your basement very humid or hot? I know our diapers smell more when they are in a wamer room...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM

I've had my wetbags (not Bummis) for over three years, and they've been washed every other day and I've never had stinkies. Bummis tote bags are made of nylon, not PUL like most other pail liners/wetbags.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
I've had my wetbags (not Bummis) for over three years, and they've been washed every other day and I've never had stinkies. Bummis tote bags are made of nylon, not PUL like most other pail liners/wetbags.
So, since they're nylon, does that mean that they're not as good at holding in stinky odors? Or that they don't hold up as well after many hot washes as polyester?

Now I'm looking for a new bag, I was going to get a new bummis tote bag, since it was fine utnil recently, but maybe that's not a good idea.

User Tag List