BumGenius still smell - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a few weeks ago that my BumGenius diapers stink. I tried the recommendations and stripped them with Dawn and bleached them with Clorox (as recommended by manufacturer). However, they still stink. And, it's not an ammonia smell - it's a dirty diaper smell (as in poopy diaper). Any other suggestions??!?! It's gotten bad enough that I've started putting the diapers in a DRAWER rather than on the open shelf of the changing table. Please help!

Cassie, mom to beautiful 11-month-old Jasia

As an OT - if any one has any suggestions or feedback for why my child may now be throwing fits during diaper and clothes changes, I'd appreciate it. I'm able to successfully distract her half the time with no tears, but the other half it's all tears and screams and a BIG drama! Is this normal??? She acts like she's been traumatized by having her diaper changed (and lately, when trying to get her dressed). Why does she do this???
#2 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM

My son is about the same age and HATES having his diaper changed or being dressed, I think its just a phase. He is perfectly happy to like there while I take his clothes/diaper OFF but as soon as he is nakie he gets up and runs away giggling like a loon!! Then the fit ensues when I go to catch him...

On the stinkies, if your dipes smell like a dirty diaper it seems that maybe you are not using enough soap? What is your current wash routine like? Do you rinse the poop from the diapers before putting them in the pail?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#3 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

My routine is cold rinse, hot wash with Ecos detergent (1/2 of recommended amount for full load - i.e. about a 1/4 cap, not cup). Hot rinse. I spray the solids off before putting them in the pail. I also spray an odor remover on them before putting them in the pail.

I used to do cold rinse, hot rinse, cold wash, hot wash (with a second rinse on the washes), but I still had the problem then, too. This problem has only arisen with the introduction of solids.

I'm glad spring/summer is right around the corner so I can start putting them in the sun again, but, still.... I need a solution for the winter months. Plus, I noticed the sun doesn't even seem to do 100% job.
#4 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 PM

I always notice a change in the smell of DS's diapers when he starts eating a new food... but I have never noticed a lingering smell... hopefully someone else will have another idea!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#5 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 PM

Is it the actual diapers or the inserts? If its the microfiber inserts i would just toss em and get new ones. (maybe hemp, or something like loopy doos)

I stopped using synthetic fiber for that exact reason, i found that they just clung onto the bacteria and oders.

Have you tried sunning them outside for a few days? Are you line drying or using a dryer?

As for the diaper change fits, its normal at that age.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#6 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

It's both the diapers and inserts.
#7 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 PM

Yours is the second post recently about stinky diapers while using Ecos detergent. Maybe that's the problem?

(I don't really know... just taking a guess???)

Wife to Daniel and blessed SAHM to Gabriel (6), Bronwyn (5), Jackson (3), Aubrey (2 ), and Claire (11/1/09 )
#8 of 14 Old 03-29-2009, 07:49 AM

I'd suggest washing your BumGenius seperate with TIDE almost up to the one line on the scoop( I suggest seperate, just in case you aren't happy with the Tide). With all the talk about detergent, people often get nervous about using too much, or the wrong kind, but I find that often times stink issues are because the diapers aren't getting clean enough. Many moms have success with using an almost normal amount of Tide

I have a Frontloader and use Tide on all our diapers, some BGOS organic and have no stink at all. Also are you rinsing the poop all the way off before putting in the pail? I got a sprayer, and there is no poop left on mine at all when they go in the pail.

I do a cold prerinse with a little baking soda, a regular hot wash cycle with Tide HE up 3/4 of the way up to the 1 and a cold rinse followed by a regular warm wash with a little vinegar in it to help get out the detergent from the first wash and a cold rinse.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaski View Post
I posted a few weeks ago that my BumGenius diapers stink. I tried the recommendations and stripped them with Dawn and bleached them with Clorox (as recommended by manufacturer). However, they still stink. And, it's not an ammonia smell - it's a dirty diaper smell (as in poopy diaper). Any other suggestions??!?! It's gotten bad enough that I've started putting the diapers in a DRAWER rather than on the open shelf of the changing table. Please help!

Cassie, mom to beautiful 11-month-old Jasia

As an OT - if any one has any suggestions or feedback for why my child may now be throwing fits during diaper and clothes changes, I'd appreciate it. I'm able to successfully distract her half the time with no tears, but the other half it's all tears and screams and a BIG drama! Is this normal??? She acts like she's been traumatized by having her diaper changed (and lately, when trying to get her dressed). Why does she do this???
#9 of 14 Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually think they're getting better!
#10 of 14 Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 AM

I think I'm going to try adding baking soda to my routine. Right now I have to let them soak in BacOut overnight about every 2 weeks.
#11 of 14 Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM

It's interesting that you should post this - the only diapers I've ever had this problem with is BumGenius. Bleach definitely helps, but the number one thing that helps smell is sunning out. I can't wait to be able to consistently hang my diapers out to dry - they come off the line smelling fresh as a daisy!

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
#12 of 14 Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaski View Post
I forgot to mention that I'm dealing with the same problem with my 13 month old. The ONLY thing that works is distraction. We have a special diaper change toy and I try to sing to her and be very expressive to distract her. Most of the time it works. If she's overtired or was upset before I started the change, I just change her as fast as I can. I'm sure it's just a stage.

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
#13 of 14 Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 PM

Hi Mama,
I second the Tide detergent recommendation.... we use Tide and have never had stink problems.
I spray Bac out on poopy dipes, and dry pail the dipes.
For wash I pre-soak on cold with some Bacout sprayed in, wash on Hot with half to 1/3 the amount of Tide, cold rinse. Very easy... and dipes get very clean.
I remember reading something about vinegar and salt to clean dipes..... something about washing with 1/4 cup salt, dissolved in warm water, 1/4 white vinegar during the wash cycle instead of your detergent. I did that a few times just to try and it worked great. I wouldn't do that all the time, but maybe you could try it and see if it gets ride of the stink.
~maddymama
#14 of 14 Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

My guess is that the problem is your detergent.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page