Yeast Rash and Cloth Diapers (questions about both the rash and dipes) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zane has a really bad yeast rash. Unfortunatly, we didn't realize it was yeast for a while and it just kept getting worse. Took him to the dr. and got a script (Nystatin Cream, USP, 100,000 units per gram) and it seems a little less inflamed at least. I sure hope it clears up soon because it just makes me cry when I see how much it is bothering him and try to get him to stop scratching...it is not good at all.

Today we went out and got a package of disposables because I wasn't sure if the yeast is now in the diapers, and I don't want to feed the rash. He cries when he sees them and it just breaks my heart.

So, I need advice....is it ok to just continue using the dipes or do I need boil them to kill the yeast. And, what do I do with my HH, FBs and other dipes with elastic & my fleece liners? I know I can't boil them...what can I do. Do I need to boil any of them at all?

Ahhhh!

Also, since I was so wrong about the rash before, now I am anxious about assuming anything. Do I put diaper rash cream over the script, or no rash cream. (have A&D zinc oxide cream now...ran out of my Burt's Bees and can't really afford to replace it unless it is an emergency right now.)

One more concern: do I need to watch for thrush now? Is it the same organism just a different local? and what are the symptoms of that? I have been keeping pants on and trying to keep him from scratching, but there is a limit to my ability to control this since he is old enough to undress himself.

This stinks. I feel like such an awful mama. Any help would be appreciated.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#2 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 02:39 AM

You're not a bad mama. The first time my first son had a yeast infection, it took quite a while before I took him to the doctor for it. I didn't even know babies COULD get yeast infections.

I've heard that for diapers that you can't boil, you should iron them on a the hottest setting possible for the fabric, and with steam.

If you're worried about thrush, I'd get some yogurt into him. First ds had thrush when he was born, and our midwife said to treat it with natural yogurt. Eating it can be a preventative measure for the thrush as well as helping the yeast infection that he already has.

You can also add 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water for your wipes solution. Vinegar helps discourage yeast. Tea tree essential oil is also good for yeast infections.

Hope your little one gets better soon.
#3 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 02:42 AM

Ok mama-don't despair, a yeast rash doesn't mean that you are a bad mama at all! I wouldn't worry about boiling the dipes, but if you could get ahold of some BacOut (sold online and in some health food stores) it will take care of the problem. Don't worry about applying other ointment over the treatment creme-that isn't necessary or recommended-just give it a few days to work. Yeast is pretty hardy-but I believe regular white vinegar will also do a number on them If he likes yogurt-I would definitely include that in his diet-as long as it is the kind with live active cultures-they will help his body combat yeast-ies. My ds had a nasty rash from yeast infection-and the creme the doc prescribed worked great-but I also became more vigilant about getting him to eat yogurt every day (or at least almost), and we haven't had any reoccurance. Hang in there 2-3 days, the med's should have it cleared up pretty well by then
Shan

edited to add: the white vinegar should be included in the diaper wash routine LOL-just to be specific
#4 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You for the quick responses!

The yogurt connection really struck a chord with me and dh. A few weeks ago the store was out of yogurt and that is about the time he developed the rash. Also, one of the days that it got worst, he was out of yogurt the day before. He is a yogurt nut, so that will be an extremely easy solution...our main problem is limiting the yogurt because he would eat the entire 6 pack of yobaby at a time if we let him.

Another question....should I apply some yogurt topically to the rash (on diaper changes we aren't applying the ointment) or just let him eat the yogurt. (Heck, I wouldn't have to actually apply it myself...just hand him some yogurt and let him be naked...he would apply it himself with all of his scratching...lol.)

Oh...and I think I stopped using vinegar in the wash routine about that time too...trying to simplify. It makes me wonder how many yeast infections I avoided when inadvertently. I will get some bac-out (I noticed we do have it at our HFS, just didn't buy it because I didn't have a specific need for it) and add the vinegar back into the wash routine.

DS is going to love the unlimited yogurt consumption the next few days.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#5 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer Z
Another question....should I apply some yogurt topically to the rash (on diaper changes we aren't applying the ointment) or just let him eat the yogurt.
I do know some mamas who use natural unflavored yogurt applied topically for their own yeast infections. Personally, though, I'd just feed it to my child and give the medicine some time to work. JMHO. In our experience, they really do seem to clear up fast once identified and properly medicated.
#6 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 03:43 PM

Next time you wash your dipes make sure wash them in very very hot water (turn the water heater up if you can, just do it after the babe is in bed) and dry them on hot. Haley had horrible recurring yeast rashes this summer and after I stripped the dipes (hh and fb's) with the water heater all the way up and dried them on hot she hasn't had it since. I know it says not to dry them b/c it will shorten the life of the dieps but one time or even every so often isn't going to hurt them. Give him lots of naked time too b/c air and light are very good for curing yeast. We never applied the yogurt directly to her, just made sure she ate lots of it. TO give an added boost you can add extra acidopholus powder to his yogurt although we didn't and Haley's cleared up fine.

jen: caring auntie to a bunch of little (and some not so little anymore) wild things. Teacher to my whackadoodle 3s (and sometimes infants)
#7 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 09:00 PM

Grape fruit sead extract works wonders too! Whenever yeast rears its ugly head around here, we go straight for the GSE. I applied it to my nipples in a water solution, put some in water and let her drink it (2x day), used it in her diaper solution and in the wash as well. NEVER use it without diluting it though, it can burn/irritate skin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page