Does a Diaper Like This Exist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me and DH were talking about diapers last night, about what we want in diapers and all that... he isn't really thrilled with cloth to begin with so him being comfortable with what we are using is key.

His requirements:
- nothing he has to pull apart (so no pockets, he hates touching the insert to pull it out to put it in the pail)
- easy to use, so no pins or snappis
- no prefolds, for some reason they freak him out

My requirements:
- as much natural fiber as possible (PUL or fleece for covers is fine)
- easy to wash and dry (so no fully sewn together AIOs)
- not super bulky
- no wool
- snaps (no velcro)
- one or 2 sized preferably

Does something that meets all or most of those exist? I am hopeless at sewing so making my own is not real possible right now...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#2 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 AM

Maybe a blueberry AIO, the snap type? I'm sure someone else has ideas, more suggestions!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#3 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 AM

What about an AIO with the absorbant part being a flap just sewn at one end so it dries quickly? I don't know if they exist, but that is my first thought.

The other thing would be a snapping OS fitted (like motherease OS) with a snapping or pull-on cover.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#4 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 11:36 AM

Growing Greens. Definitely.

They snap, and have a snap-on doubler, so they wash and dry easily. Organic, undyed cotton. One size, and fit great from birth on up. (My kid's been wearing them since birth at 9 lbs. He's now about 27 lbs and they still fit great with plenty of growing room.) They are nice and trim, with higher, bikini cut legs.

Prefolds are my favorite, but Growing Greens come in a close second.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/growinggreens.htm

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#5 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM

I've never tried them, so I don't know how well they work, but they seem to meet all of your requirements.

http://www.parentingbynature.com/berryplush.htm
#6 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Aside from the natural part, Mommy's Touch Easy Clean pockets (http://www.mommystouch.com/easy-clean-diaper.html) would fit. They are a one-size and have openings at both ends so the insert will come out in the wash and doesn't need to be removed. You could use hemp inserts instead of micro.

#7 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 PM

I love sugarpeas 2-size fitteds. Hemp, very absorbant, easy to wash, has snaps...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#8 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 PM

One-size fitteds and fleece or PUL covers?
#9 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 02:12 PM

I just got two BGOS AIO Organic at the last seconds stocking and I love them so far.

They seem to meet all your needs.

Daddy Friendly
Organic material
Not all sewn together, so fairly quick to dry.
They come in snaps or Aplix whichever your dh is more comfortable with.
#10 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover View Post
I just got two BGOS AIO Organic at the last seconds stocking and I love them so far.

Daddy Friendly
Organic material
Yep, I don't have any yet but everyone I know does and loves them!!!

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=1825

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#11 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 PM

I'm pretty new to cding, but here's my 2 cents:

fitted with pull on cover (dh's fave), nothing to pull apart per se
Gdiapers that you stuff ahead of time for him with a prefold so it acts as an AIO for DH but easy to wash and dry in parts.
An AI2.

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
#12 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM

My favorite diaper by far:
The Sposoeasy by Blue Penguin.
They are cotton, organic cotton or hemp, have snaps and a free flying insert to decrease drying time. They are also very trim.
Super absorbant for super soakers and are so easy to wash as there is no fleece.
Just my opinion,
#13 of 36 Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapermama1 View Post
They are cotton, organic cotton or hemp, have snaps and a free flying insert to decrease drying time. They are also very trim.
Super absorbant for super soakers and are so easy to wash as there is no fleece.
Just my opinion,
I have heard a lot of really good things about these... I definitely want to try them out!! Are they roomy enough to add an extra soaker to if you need it?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#14 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover View Post

Daddy Friendly
Organic material
Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapermama1 View Post
Just my opinion,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I have heard a lot of really good things about these... I definitely want to try them out!! Are they roomy enough to add an extra soaker to if you need it?
These are my suggestions. Both dry quickly and absorb a ton. bumGenius are one-size and SposoEasys are sized. I know you want snaps, but the SposoEasy velcro really stays great forever. It made me like velcro again!

Yes, you can add an extra soaker or two to the SposoEasys... with a matching doubler, dd can go 8 hours!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#15 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
These are my suggestions. Both dry quickly and absorb a ton. bumGenius are one-size and SposoEasys are sized. I know you want snaps, but the SposoEasy velcro really stays great forever. It made me like velcro again!

Yes, you can add an extra soaker or two to the SposoEasys... with a matching doubler, dd can go 8 hours!
Awesome!! I will definitely be trying both of these... I think that cotton will work SO much better with our hard water then the microfiber we have been using... everyone I have talked to says synthetics are harder to deal with when you have hard water

#16 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Does the velcro really stay good?? Does it do that annoying diaper train thing in the laundry? Cuz I REALLY hate that.

#17 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Imo, the best, hands down, one size fitted diaper that snaps is a Goodmama http://www.thegoodmama.com/ They are pricey, but you can get them on hyena cart in the "spots" section used for a good price. I think they are often sold on diaperswappers as well. They miiight be a bit on the thick side to you, but I don't consider them to be a bulky diaper. They fit very trim between the legs and they don't gap anywhere.

If your baby is average to chubby, Firefly diapers may work well. They are very trim and organic. http://www.fireflydiapers.com/. They are not 1 or 2 sized, HOWEVER, the size small fit my babies until they were into toddlerhood, and the mediums fit my 3 year old. Larger babies may need more sizes.

Dream Eze makes AIOs with an organic cotton inner and snap closure. But there is three sizes, not one.

Bum Genius Organic may be the best choice, they are one size AIOs with an organic cotton inner, and they do come with snap closure.
#18 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Does the velcro really stay good?? Does it do that annoying diaper train thing in the laundry? Cuz I REALLY hate that.
I've never had a problem with velcro coming undone, however, they will do the diaper train in the laundry if you don't remember to close the laundry tabs. If you remember then it's fine.
#19 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Imo, the best, hands down, one size fitted diaper that snaps is a Goodmama http://www.thegoodmama.com/ They are pricey, but you can get them on hyena cart in the "spots" section used for a good price. I think they are often sold on diaperswappers as well. They miiight be a bit on the thick side to you, but I don't consider them to be a bulky diaper. They fit very trim between the legs and they don't gap anywhere.

If your baby is average to chubby, Firefly diapers may work well. They are very trim and organic. http://www.fireflydiapers.com/. They are not 1 or 2 sized, HOWEVER, the size small fit my babies until they were into toddlerhood, and the mediums fit my 3 year old. Larger babies may need more sizes.

Dream Eze makes AIOs with an organic cotton inner and snap closure. But there is three sizes, not one.

Bum Genius Organic may be the best choice, they are one size AIOs with an organic cotton inner, and they do come with snap closure.
Yes to all of this

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#20 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:

The SposoEasy aplix laundry tabs are made so there is absolutely no chance of the diaper chain. I love them!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#21 of 36 Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 PM

What about those new one size softbums ai2s? I think they make the inserts in bamboo, right? If you have several already to go - snapped in, that would work for dh, right?

I've been out of the loop for awhile, so I'm not sure how good they actually are in practice, though!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#22 of 36 Old 04-02-2009, 02:20 AM

If you're trying to keep costs low, look into prefitteds. They still need some kind of closure like pins or a Snappi, but they have the benefit of being shaped, making for fewer leaks onto your covers.

Also, don't cross off all wool, there are some machine washable covers out there!
#23 of 36 Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLlama View Post
If you're trying to keep costs low, look into prefitteds. They still need some kind of closure like pins or a Snappi, but they have the benefit of being shaped, making for fewer leaks onto your covers.

Also, don't cross off all wool, there are some machine washable covers out there!
Can you link me to some prefitteds? *bats eyelashes*
#24 of 36 Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
What about those new one size softbums ai2s? I think they make the inserts in bamboo, right? If you have several already to go - snapped in, that would work for dh, right?

I've been out of the loop for awhile, so I'm not sure how good they actually are in practice, though!
You already have a lot of good suggestions, so I was just gonna say that we had 1 fleece softbums and it was a really nice dipe, I used it both as a cover & sometimes like an AIO with some hemp inserts we had. You'd probably find more natural fiber options looking at AI2's if you feel limited looking at AIO's (sugarpeas & loveybums make them too, and both make fleece not just wool I believe).

I also had a hemp very baby AIO, it'd fit most of your wants & was nicely trim.
#25 of 36 Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 AM

I think you'll really like the Growing Greens fitted - you can choose either organic cotton or organic cotton/hemp mix. It is a one size and has snaps NOT aplix/velcro. I was never a bit fitted fan until I tried these. Super absorbent, natural fibers, daddy approved I think you'll be very happy with these.

Proud Mama to Kiri (5/5/05) and Mikah (9/12/07). Owner Simple Wonders Diapers - providing personalized service to help you choose the perfect diapering system for your family. Check out our WAHMarket coupon!
#26 of 36 Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 AM

Prefitteds.... AKA Contours

Here you go!
#27 of 36 Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

Those are not prefitteds. Those are contours, totally different. Prefitteds are made out of prefolds and have elastic around the legs and you close them with a snappi, like this drawing:

http://hyenacart.com/PreFitted/index.php?c=17

Grow me a Rainbow used to make them but they don't anymore.

There is instructions for how to sew them, but I don't sew so it's not helpful for me
http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm

I found some for sale on the Trading post, but I didn't like the colors on the outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34213372@N02/3307457865/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3421337...n/photostream/

so yeah, if anyone knows where you can still get them, plz let me know. Kissaluv contours I don't like. WAY too thin, they gap, and there's no elastic around the legs.
#28 of 36 Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
so yeah, if anyone knows where you can still get them, plz let me know. Kissaluv contours I don't like. WAY too thin, they gap, and there's no elastic around the legs.
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefoldfitted.htm

nak

only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly -- rfk
#29 of 36 Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM

The SposoEasy AIO was a great suggestion. I only have the velcro closure and can concur that as long as you close the laundry tabs, the washing experience with these is no different than with snap-close diapers.

One other brand of AIO I didn't see here that you could look at: Dream-Eze AIO.
#30 of 36 Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM

I can recommend enough these AIOs: www.hyenacart.com/clothcurious I'm not affiliated in any way I just love the diapers. They are quick drying AIOs(AI2s really). Although they are sized -- sizes small should fit good from 8 or 9 lbs and mediums will last most kids to toddlerhood.

I've never tried another cloth diaper yet that is so trim, easy to use, quick to dry and pulls moisture away from my kid's bum and into the diaper -- I really like that I am supporting a WAHM. The prices are comparable with the big name brands and these are 10X cuter.

Here are some action shots for ya.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...efootball5.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...efootball2.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...tanxsdino1.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...keredflag5.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...keredflag1.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...keredflag2.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page