My CD Stash...new to this and have ?'s- long sorry - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Ladies, I'm Alycia and I have a baby boy due in September. I'm super excited and have decided to use Cloth Diapers right from the start. Money is super tight for my family right now, but thanks to many extremely generous people I've hhad a ton of diapers and supplies donated to me. Some of the diapers are in excellent condition, while others are just too old and nasty to use.

I registed for some BG and FB's, and I'd really like to try some other brands of pockets and some aio's as well. The majority of my stash is fitteds and wahm aio's....this is what I have:

Fitted Diapers

4 WAHM Velcro Diapers, not sure of size, alright condition
4 WAHM Snap Diapers, not sure of size, alright condition
1 Small Light Blue Thirsties, brand new
1 Pink Kissaluvs Size 0, brand new, but need to trade due to color
1 Medium Dappi, ehhh okay condition
2 Little Beetle Hemp Size 1, brand new, never used
2 Cricketts NB+ with Snaps, brand new never used
1 Small Happy Heiny’s, brand new, never used
1 Small Yellow Dream-Eze, brand new, never used
1 NB Sage SwaddleBee’s, brand new, never used

All-In-One’s

2 Yellow NB Kushies, GUC, minor tearing
3 Duck NB Kushies, GUC, minor tearing
1 Bee NB Kushies, GUC, minor tearing
17 WAHM NB Customs, Various Fabrics, GUC, very stiff

Covers

1 XS Yellow Thirsties Cover, brand new, never used
1 S Lt. Blue Thirsties Cover, brand new, never used
1 S White Bummies Super Snap, brand new, never used
1 S White Bummies Super Whisper Wrap, brand new, never used
1 Apple Green Little Beetles Wool Cover, brand new, but need to trade as wool intimidates the crap out of me
2 Large Unknown Covers, extremely used and worn
1 NB ProRap, extremely used and worn velcro
2 Medium ProRap, extremely used and worn velcro
3 Medium Diaperaps, extremely used and worn velcro
1 NB Diaperaps, extremely used and worn velcro
2 S Diaperaps, extremely used and worn velcro

Prefolds

One and a Half Dozen PF's, 2 are in GUC, the rest are torn and stained, but I think I can use these as inserts and doublers?

Inserts/Doublers

3 XL Snap Doublers, brand new, never used
2 Unknown Doublers/Inserts, GUC
3 Little Beetles Doublers, brand new, never used
2 Cricketts Doublers, brand new, never used

Accessories

Large Blue Pail Liner
Blue Wetbag
4 Snappi’s

For those who actually went through that list...thank you lol. But now that that is out of the way, here are my questions:

If you were me what else would you get? Like I said I really want some BG, FB, and/or similar diapers. I'd like to have some pocket dipes and GMD orange edge PF's as well.

I think the WAHM AIO's I have are AIO's...they look like Fitted Diapers with Velcro, but you can feel a waterproof type material underneath the patterned fabric. These were all custom made so I doubt the woman who made them would have picked out such cute fabrics/designs just to have to put a cover over them. Is there a way to tell for sure though?

Regarding the above WAHM dipes, they are very bunched up and stiff. What's the best way to soften them?

All these diapers have been prepped, even the new ones, by the people who gave them to me. I would like to run them through a wash before my baby wears them, but what's the best way to do this? Can I use bleach or would a normal hot wash cycle be fine?

Do you recommend rinsing off EBF poo off the dipes before throwing them in the pail and washing them? Or will that set in the stains?

Is there anything else I should know?

I really admire all you ladies, I've been a lurker here for quite some time and you guys really know your stuff and truly stand up for what you believe in. You've all been so so so helpful to me without even knowing it, so I appreciate any help you can give me here.

Thanks again.

Alycia / SAHM to my smart & sweet 'bubs' Tommy (9/7/09) and intact new squish Vinny (9/3/12) / madly in love with my officer / advocate for our pit mix Lucy-Mama and all her pittie friends

"everything happens for a reason"

Retired 1pump.gif now exclusively bfinfant.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-29-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilzippy59 View Post
If you were me what else would you get?
Can I use bleach or would a normal hot wash cycle be fine?
Do you recommend rinsing off EBF poo off the dipes before throwing them in the pail and washing them? Or will that set in the stains?
Is there anything else I should know?
I would keep an open mind about specific diapers. My favorite diapers for a five month old, were not ones that I liked for a toddler. Diapers that I never considered for newborn ds1 were ones that I made myself for ds2. I now recommend trial packs, over any one type.

I never use bleach on diapers. I use Borax, hot water and sun-drying.

I don't bother with rinsing poo for the wee ones, just after solids are introduced. I use the dry pail method. That is: no soaking at all in the pail, but rather soaking overnight, with Borax, in the washing machine. Then, first thing in the morning, I run a spin cycle, then wash with an extra rinse. Only using the dryer sets in stains. As long as I sun-dry, then stains come out eventually.

Don't get discouraged, and ask for help if anything concerns you! You can do it, and you might even enjoy it. How many people say that over 'sposies?
#3 of 4 Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 PM

If you decided to get BG DO NOT! use borax or any other aditive on them! it will void the warentee. Personally i would avoid them if i had my time again, mine are already worn out, the outside layer leaks on some of them, it is hard to get smells out of, the velcro is going and they are way too easy for her to get off, she always takes them off and then poops of wees on the floor.

Personally i love my flats, i have some bg, and some nappies i love from an ozzie wahm, but flats for the bulk of my stash. They are cheap, easy to wash and dry, fit any size baby and seem really comfy.

#4 of 4 Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM

I've loved our fuzzi bunz, so I would definitely recommend them to someone who's interested.

The only time I use a smidgen of bleach is occasionally on microfiber inserts. You shouldn't need to use bleach otherwise. Make sure you have a diaper-safe detergent and you should be all set with just that. (I don't use borox or oxiclean or anything fancy myself.)

I don't do anything fancy with ebf poop. I dry pail it, do a cold rinse before I wash on hot with detergent, and the line dry. I have absolutely NO stains.

Wife to Daniel and blessed SAHM to Gabriel (6), Bronwyn (5), Jackson (3), Aubrey (2 ), and Claire (11/1/09 )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page