Washing Prefolds and Covers- first time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-30-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my 24 prefolds and am now waiting for 4 covers to arrive... should I wait and wash them all together? How many times do I need to wash them before I begin to use them the first time? Do I use less detergent too?
FYI: I will be using BioKleen Free liquid detergent.
#2 of 4 Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Unbleached Prefolds need to be washed and dried 8-10 times to reach their full absorbency. We only use those, but I believe unbleached is 4-5 times. And yes, I would use less detergent now too as you don't want to start out having build up in the diapers if you use more.

Covers you can wash once and use, so no need to wait on those. I would definitly recommend more covers with 24 prefolds for a new baby though. Probably 6-8 because their poop usually gets on the cover. But if you're waiting to find out the size of the baby first, then get more, that can also be helpful and covers generally ship super quick.

Hope this helps and good luck!

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#3 of 4 Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 PM

I washed and dried my prefolds about 4 times before I started to use them. They continued to get better as I used and washed them though. I washed my covers only once before I started to use them. I'd start washing your prefolds now and toss the covers in a wash with what ever once they arrive. (I understand that non-bleached prefolds do take more prep then the bleached ones but I haven't used them)

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! That helps. We are getting a sampler cover package to start. We are only doing cloth part time, so after we get the samples we are going to order more of what we like as needed.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page