Biodegradable diapers? Nature babycare - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was browsing around Amazon today and saw these: http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12459675...able%20diapers

Have you had any experience with these?

What are your thoughts on being 60% biodegradable? Its better than nothing, but still, is that what we should be going for when we try to be "eco-friendly"?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#2 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 08:14 PM

if you don't mind that your still using some of the same ingredients as disposables and that they come with a larger price tag -- than I suppose they would be a good fit for your needs.

myself -- I would not choose them. i'll stop here.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#3 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 PM

They don't have the same ingredients as mainstream diapers but I don't think they will truly biodegrade faster simply because they are going to be piled into the same landfill as everything else.... they need oxygen to break down and that won't happen when smothered between plastic trash bags.

That all said, I have used them and really like them (for disposables). They seem to work better than seventh generation, for my super soaker, anyway. Plus they have cute leaves on them

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM

We use them. They don't work for us overnight because they litterally start to biodegrate after a few hours. Think crotchless diaper by morning.
#5 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 AM

I agree about the sitting in a landfill thing. If we had commercial composting here I think that's where it's most beneficial. That being said, I do like having them on hand even though we use cloth the vast majority of the time. We never had problems with them biodegrading overnight, but it's been several years since I've used them.

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

#6 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 02:06 AM

I have used these, and I like them. However, they seem to be sized for long skinny babies. My chubby LO outgrew the size ones well before he reached the weight listed on the package. I bought size twos and they were also too narrow! When I held the two sizes up to each other I found that the larger size was only about an inch wider. How annoying.
#7 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 04:47 PM

I agree w/PP. My 14 lb 4 month old is in a size 3.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#8 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM

We use Nature Babycare to fill in the gaps with cloth diapering. Travel and over night being the main 2. We love them and have zero complaints. They're comfy, super absorbent, better than any other "eco-friendly" disposable we've found. Plus we buy in bulk from  www.ecomom.com with free shipping and a coupon code they're really reasonably priced. The reason I'm even commenting about it on an old thread is that right now eco mom will match your purchase of Nature babycare diapers one to one with a charitable donation.

http://store.ecomom.com/category-s/107.htm

#9 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM

We have used these at our non CD friendly daycare for two years with great success.  We've tried some of the other eco-friendly diapers and these worked best for us.  We can use them overnight with no problem.  They do run a little small though so take that into consideration when ordering.

#10 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Oh yeah, and there is also a service if California that actually composts Nature Babycare diapers:  http://www.earth-baby.com/home.php

#11 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Hmm..DS got a terrible rash after using these for one day.  Tried to use them a week later and same thing.  Also, didn't like the super wide crotch..didn't fit him well.

Tags
Cloth Diapers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page