Bleached or Unbleached??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 01-24-2004, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering what the difference is between bleached cpf's and unbleached. I know that the bleached has been bleached and the unbleached has been left natural. Is there a concern about baby's bum being sensitive to the bleached prefold. Would the bleached effect the baby in terms of sensitivity or is it just a matter of the material being "white"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-24-2004, 11:41 PM

I have not heard of anyone having problems w/ the bleach used in the diapers. It would be washed out very well I am sure and after you wash then several times to break them in, it shouldn't be a problem. However, the UB ones are sooooo much softer. They are really nice! Some ppl love the look of a nice white dipe, but if you don't mind an ivory color, they are wonderful! I don't think I will ever get bleached prefolds again.

HTH~
#3 of 15 Old 01-24-2004, 11:43 PM

I'm sure someone else can give you a scientific answer, but ubcpfs ROCK! They are SOOOOOO MUCH softer than the bleached ones. I *loved* how they felt right out of the dryer...*sigh*...I need another bottom to diaper!

#4 of 15 Old 01-24-2004, 11:55 PM

I'm not sure if it is the batch of prefolds I got, or the case in general, but - the unbleached premiums I have seem thicker than the bleached. They seem a little more absorbent, though I have never had a problem with the bleached ones either and think of them as trimmer, which has it's pluses. I love them both really and use them interchangably. I don't think the "bleach" used is actual bleach. My ds is pretty sensitive and has never reacted to them at all.

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
#5 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 12:04 AM

When I first started I bought bleached as I had the image in my head of prefolds hanging outside on the line, brilliant white in the sunshine. But, I discovered after, that the unbleached are softer, so I've had to amend my mental picture a little! I'd go for unbleached.

Susan
#6 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 12:59 AM

I'm going to go against the crowd and say that we have both and our bleached are undoubtedly softer than the unbleached. The unbleached started out softer in the first week or so, but quickly pilled up and those pills became scratchy. My bleached prefolds never pilled up and stayed very smooth and soft. The unbleached did eventually shed the pillyness but they still aren't as soft as our bleached prefolds. Our unbleached are also about 2 inches longer than our bleached (yes.. they are from the same company ordered at the same time) which bothers me because right now I no longer have to fold down the bleached, but do on the UBCPFs. Hands down, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with bleached. I like the *idea* of the unbleached, but the reality was that we enjoy using the bleached ones much more.

Amber
#7 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 01:30 AM

I like them both and use them both equally. I tend to use the bleached first because I like the look of them better.. how silly is that!?! lol
#8 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 01:36 AM

I only bought unbleached...I "heard" they last a little longer, but I don't know if its true or not. That said, UB hide stains a little better.
#9 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tippytoes26
I'm going to go against the crowd and say that we have both and our bleached are undoubtedly softer than the unbleached. The unbleached started out softer in the first week or so, but quickly pilled up and those pills became scratchy. My bleached prefolds never pilled up and stayed very smooth and soft. The unbleached did eventually shed the pillyness but they still aren't as soft as our bleached prefolds. Our unbleached are also about 2 inches longer than our bleached (yes.. they are from the same company ordered at the same time) which bothers me because right now I no longer have to fold down the bleached, but do on the UBCPFs. Hands down, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with bleached. I like the *idea* of the unbleached, but the reality was that we enjoy using the bleached ones much more.

Amber
Amber, this was my same experience, and I have to wonder, with all the people who prefer UB, if we didn't get a funky batch? Heather had the same issue with some she got from about the same time and said she preferred the bleached, too, because of this.
I would LOVE to have the UB if they are indeed softer, but that just has not been my experience.
#10 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 02:32 AM

I vote unbleached, esp. since I avoid using bleach in general. I love the natural look!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#11 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 02:49 AM

The softest ones I have ever had were bleached-but the last few I have gotten weren't nearly as soft and fluffy.
Shan
nak
#12 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 03:35 AM

I prefer unbleached but will take either kind.
I like the natural color and they do seem softer.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#13 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 04:16 AM

Yep, I had a dozen unbl that were rather pilly and they did wear off, but aren't as soft as my bleached.

But then, I got a batch that were so incredibly soft, but obviously a slightly different fabric weave. All from the same distributor.

The bleached have been bleached with a chlorine bleach. This will eat away 'slightly' at the fibers, which is why it is logical to assume the unbleached may absorb a tad more. Depending on the bleaching process . . . how long it is exposed to the chlorine, this could differ across manufacturers.

I've had my bleached now for 4 years and they are fraying NOW and have lost a level of absorbency NOW, but wow . . . they went through 2 of mine (still going on Kenny) and were borrowed by a friend to use on her one.

The unbleached are NOT bleached in a chlorine bleach - so, if it is an environmental issue with you . . . it may be the 'better' choice. I say "may be," because it takes nearly 3x the amt. of washes to strip the natural oil and waxes that are on them and will cause them not to be completely absorbent or even, if not washed at all, repel. This is where the 'bleached' come out ahead . . . the bleaching process removes that process for you and saves you water and prep time for certain.

I'm also led to believe it reduces pilling - the chlorine bleaching process . . . since it does eat away at fibers and since I have not ever seen bleached dipes 'pill' in the same manner as unbleached after being washed.
#14 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
cjr

Thanks girls, it's not really a "natural" thing. I just want to go with the one that's the softest and most absorbant. It sounds like it does'nt really matter though, cause the consistancy is'nt really the same.
#15 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 04:53 AM

I vote for Bleached for the reasons Heather stated.
Also, it is actually EASIER to keep the bleach cleaned here..... a lil sunshine works well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page