Rate your Detergent! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had any problems with my detergent, but I'm always curious what else is out there, and how well it works.

Which detergent(s) have you tried, and how would you rate them on a scale of 1-10 (10 is the highest)?

I have only tried Purex F&C, and give it a 9.
#2 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM

We started out with Charlie's. I'd give that a -5. I cleaned the diapers well, but irritated DS' skin really badly.

We used All free & clear the longest. No complaints, really. I've had to strip my diapers a few times, but I think that has more to do with my HE washer than the detergent. 8.

Right now we're using Rockin' Green from GADbaby.com. LOVE it. My diapers obviously don't hold the cucumber mint scent, but I love to be able to use scented detergent again. I give it a 10.
#3 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've been wanting a diaper safe scented detergent. I may have to try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post
We started out with Charlie's. I'd give that a -5. I cleaned the diapers well, but irritated DS' skin really badly.

We used All free & clear the longest. No complaints, really. I've had to strip my diapers a few times, but I think that has more to do with my HE washer than the detergent. 8.

Right now we're using Rockin' Green from GADbaby.com. LOVE it. My diapers obviously don't hold the cucumber mint scent, but I love to be able to use scented detergent again. I give it a 10.
#4 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 PM

I love Charlies.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#5 of 28 Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM

I loved Charlie's, too. When i ran out, i started making my own detergent which is similar to Charlie's: 1c. grated bar soap, 1/2c.washing soda, 1/2c.borax. Mix, use about 1T. per load. I give it a 10 'cause it's CHEAP and eco-friendly. Did i mention it's CHEAP?!

In regards to Charlie's causing rashes--there's a very particular process when you use it, and if you stray in any way, it can cause rashes. Just FYI to everyone. (Though, of course, just about anything can cause rashes, and moms may be doing everything right.)
#6 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber913 View Post
When i ran out, i started making my own detergent which is similar to Charlie's: 1c. grated bar soap, 1/2c.washing soda, 1/2c.borax. Mix, use about 1T. per load. I give it a 10 'cause it's CHEAP and eco-friendly. Did i mention it's CHEAP?!
What kind of grated bar soap? Should I look for a particular type?
Washing soda? Is that available on the laundy aisle?

TIA!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 03:32 PM

I just switched to Country Save from Cal Ben pure soap. I have to say that I am rating Country Save a 10 so far. Cal Ben is all natural but my breast pads were looking really dingy, I just took them out of the dryer and they were so bright!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#8 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnanddoe View Post
I have to say that I am rating Country Save a 10 so far.
Where do you buy it online?

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#9 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 PM

The only detergents that both cleaned and kept diapers from repelling and didn't bother DD skin were Charlies soap and Dreft. We also used unsuccessfully Tide cheer surf Sun gain Allens Country save ecocover 7th generation All and a few others I can't thinko f right now.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#10 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Where do you buy it online?
We got it on amazon.com, 4 boxes for cheaper and free shipping!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#11 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 04:38 PM

We made our own for a long time and loved it:

1 cup grated fels naptha
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax

Although I have heard of some people getting repelling issues eventually. We used it for a year on our dipes and had no problems.

Then I got lazy and started buying Trader Joe's All Natural Powder Laundry Detergent. I'd give it a 10--super cheap 7.99 for a box that cleans 64 loads of regular and I use less on dipes--maybe a quarter of an inch from where it's supposed to be. So I bet I get 80-90 loads of dipes out of it. Plus it is COMPLETELY ALL NATURAL

Beth--Momma to Ethan 9/11/07 and Ella 9/20/09, wife to Rob, babywearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, homebirthing, cloth diapering addict, WAHM.
#12 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 05:01 PM

I can't keep track of all the detergents I've used, and I don't have a strong preference for any of them--Tide, Gain, Cheer, Biokleen, whatever. The waterproofing on our Bummis pail liners did wear off, but only after two years of hard use, so that could have happened with any detergent.

I am planning on getting some Sportwash before the baby comes.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#13 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnanddoe View Post
We got it on amazon.com, 4 boxes for cheaper and free shipping!
Ah, yes, Subscribe & Save! That's what we did and so love it. We're currently using Country Save and I just use it for all my laundry. I'd give it a 9. But I'm picky.

I started with Biokleen which I thought was ok, but turned out so-so, I'd give it a 5.

Used All F&C while traveling, and I don't know if it was that combined with the Biokleen, and/or with the weirdly yucky water encounter at the CT shore or all of the above, but after that I stripped with hot water washes. All better now and loving my Country Save.

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939
#14 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Seventh Generation Liquid.
Ecos Liquid.
Both work well for us.
#15 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my Tide Free and Clear. It's the only detergent I've tried that doesn't make my DD break out in a rash...not just on her bum, but on her entire trunk.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#16 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 06:07 PM

I'm using soap nuts right now and LOVE them--give them a 9.
#17 of 28 Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Jeez, we've been through a dozen different. We're lucky enough to live in the land of diaper friendly water, which helps. I also add Biokleen BacOut and/or Borax to the loads.

We use most often Seventh Generation (which does come in scents, but we don't use it b/c it reacts poorly with the smell of pee imo) and I give it a 10. I use the line for HE, which is only a tiny bit.

I gave up on Ecos when they started adding the softener to all their varieties, before that we used it almost exclusively and I would have given it a 10 especially since it comes in a bigger bottle for less than 7gen. But the softener wrecked my dipes and required serious stripping. So now I'd give it a 0.

I like Ecover, but it's bottles are smaller than 7 gen, so the cost isn't worth it. I'll grade it 9.

We used biokleen for a while, the big cheap box of powder, and it did a good job cleaning, but it's complete & utter lack of a smell was bad especially when line drying in the city. Grade 6.

DH picked up a bottle of ZUM frankinsence & myrrh scent, and it was gross! It ruined the diapers, I had to strip them through the machine like 10 times, and then through the dishwasher like 4 x! The smell made everything disgusting, and it was just awful. -100

I'm sure there have been others, but these are the ones I can recall off the top of my head. We only use natural products, so I can't speak to any of the others.
#18 of 28 Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 AM

I used Country Save and after a while my dipes were smelling fresh out of the wash, so I now use Crunchy Clean, and so far it's doing great! You can get unscented, or all sorts of scents.

Mom to 4 Boys
#19 of 28 Old 09-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Started with Allens. I give it a 6. Works okay, but $$
All F&C: good, but wanted something more natural. 8+
Purex Natural- 7
Simply Clean powder (all natural)- 5. Smells great, but i don't think it worked too well

We ar back to All F&C currently and I am liking it more every washing. DS is in that transitional poo stage (peanut butter ickieness!) and everything comes out clean smelling and stain free. I'd love it to be more natual, but I'll take it for now.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#20 of 28 Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epona View Post
Seventh Generation Liquid.
I looked at this one yesterday at the grocery store, it has "plant extracts" and I was wondering if that causes buildup in FLers? Do you ever have to strip your dipes?

#21 of 28 Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

bump.gif

Hope it is okay that I'm bumping such an old thread, but it seems to have let me, soooo... what do you ladies think? I recently switched to home-made laundry soap for everything, and so far, so good. Going to be getting a bunch of cloth diaper stuff in the next few days, though, so I'd love to hear more testimonials!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28**32***36***40** Oct 2014 it's a
#22 of 28 Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM

I use laundry tarts. I haven't had any issues at all and the diaps come out nice and clean. No need to strip them in the four months I've used it daily or every other day. I'm giving it a 10.
#23 of 28 Old 08-12-2012, 02:59 PM
myk

i use country save. i'd rate it an 8 - after 6 months+ i eventually had to strip but i don't think it's the detergent's fault. it always left my prefolds, fitteds, and hemp and bamboo inserts in fantastic shape. i had some trouble with my pul/fleece pocket shells. it started when i tried rockin' green though, not country save! i have a FLer too so it may well be that it needed more rinsing. i haven't had any staining, my dipes smell nice (even though she's got toddler pee now!). i'm not giving it a 10 because there's an off chance that the country save was responsible for the pockets not getting clean enough, but it did do a great job of my PUL wraps and cotton/hemp/bamboo. those didn't get washed in the RnG.

i'm giving rockin' green a 2 because my girl started getting the diaper rash IMMEDIATELY after trying it. i have hard water, i used hard rock unscented. didn't expect a problem but there you go. it did leave my diapers clean and white though. 

i'm giving RLR laundry additive a 10 because boy, did it ever get out whatever was in those pockets. they are bright white like new, smell fantastic, and left no rash. it did require several cycles to get all the bubbles rinsed away but again, that's probably due to the rockin' green residue.

January 2011
#24 of 28 Old 08-12-2012, 03:23 PM

All free and clear- 8.5

Ive used over 20 types of natural detergents,and none of them have cut it for me- I just cant stand the ammonia smell. All free and clear does the job and I bleach all my PF's and inserts about twice a year and then run them through twice with hot hot water.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#25 of 28 Old 08-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Planet 10, Eco Spout 8, Soap nuts 8, RnG 6, Ecos 0!! Ecos left my diapers with weird brown stains (and they were only pee diapers!!!). Oh, and we have very hard water, so we use calgon with every load, or else nothing gets completely clean.

#26 of 28 Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We used Charlie's Soap exclusively with Fuzzi Bunz and never, ever had any issues. Never stripped. No irritation. They stank a bit in the bag but we rarely had any retained smells i.e. no ammonia reek when the baby pee'd.. We were using commercial washers in our apartment.

We tried Charlie's Soap as a primary laundry soap for everything else but it didn't work nearly as well as 7th Gen for regular clothes. I've never used it on cloth diapers.

A friend recommends Rockin Green for our borrowed kissaluvs so we'll try that first.

I am not interested in experimenting with my cloth. I will never be a person who asks hey has anyone ever tried X? Nope. Tried and true and no problems. I don't mind stocking two. And I loathe scented anything.

#27 of 28 Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 AM

We used Rockin Green for a while but I didn't love it enough to keep having to order it. I like the convenience of running to the store and picking something up. When we switched over mainly to fitteds, I switched to Tide powder which is incredible. 
I switched to Ecos detergent and one other green soap, and it caused a lot of build up and DS was getting ammonia burns from his overnight diapers. We are back to tide now, and will definitely be sticking with that. 

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#28 of 28 Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 AM

I love Rockin' Green. I've been using it every other day on DD's prefolds with no problems- I've never had to strip them (she was in orange edge about three months and has been in yellow edge going on 5). 

Because I can't go out and buy it at the store I give it a 9.

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page