Take the Cloth Diaper Survey! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long have you been CDing? since birth, 7.5 months for my kid and since birth for my sister's 2 girls who are now 6 and 5

How do you like it? I love it. It's the norm for us. Disposables seem so weird.

Why do you cloth diaper? health, economic, and no landfill clogging

What kind of dipes are in your stash? I have everything. Fitteds, pockets, AIO, Hybrids, contours, prefolds, flats, tie nappies, bamboo, hemp, cotton, organic, wool, fleece, felt, PUL.... I could go on

What's your favorite diaper/diaper combo? fitted with a PUL cover

What kind of wipes do you use? cloth mostly cotton a few bamboo

What kind of diaper solution do you use? just water with a wipe warmer

What is your overnight system? Imse Vimse Terry Contour with a doubler Snappied and PUL cover, or a BabyBeeHind OS with a PUL cover or a felted knit shorties or a SustainableBabyish with a doubler and PUL cover. Plus we just got a Bamboozle to try for night time

Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them? we only dump out the poo

What kind of pail system do you have? a $10 foot pedal garbage can from WalMart with a PlanetWise liner. One is in our living room and it does not stink!

What is your wash routine? (how you wash, what detergent/additives, how often, how do you dry?) When the pails are full which is about every 3 days, I wash cold with vinegar then Hot with 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended amount of detergent and vinegar in the rinse and ns extra cold rinse. I use Purex Free & Clear. I dry in the dryer.

And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object? More knit longies perhaps although I have some and can knit now so....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 68 Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How long have you been CDing? Through 4 kids (6+ years) and now with grandkids.

How do you like it? Love cloth diapers

Why do you cloth diaper? See above.

What kind of dipes are in your stash? prefolds and fitteds (fitteds sewn by me)

What's your favorite diaper/diaper combo? prefold, pins, and separate cover. Wish I had known about wool when mine were in diapers.

What kind of wipes do you use? baby washcloths and tap water

What kind of diaper solution do you use?

What is your overnight system? prefold with another prefold in the center once they were sleeping more than 4-6 hours at night.

Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them? Only for poopy diapers when they were on solid food.

What kind of pail system do you have? Diaper pail with lid. It held 4 dozen prefold diapers. Started out with a wet pail with Joy and ended up with a dry pail with Dylan.

What is your wash routine? (how you wash, what detergent/additives, how often, how do you dry?) (wet pail--wring out by hand), perfume/dye/beach free detergent with borax/washing soda in the wash, vinegar in the rinse. Washed once a week (had 4-7 dozen diapers with each lo). Line dry preferred; otherwise dryer.

And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object? Can't think of anything.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#63 of 68 Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 PM

How long have you been CDing? About a year

How do you like it? It's great!

Why do you cloth diaper? Healthier for baby, cheaper, and a bonus is that it is healthier for the environment.

What kind of dipes are in your stash Cotton and bamboo prefolds and a couple home made fitteds.

What's your favorite diaper/diaper combo We love cotton prefolds with wool covers.

What kind of wipes do you use? home made flannel wipes

What kind of diaper solution do you use? home made with water, oil, baby wash, and tto

What is your overnight system? Bamboo prefold and Aristocrat woolie

Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them? I don't rinse unless it is a soft bm and I just dunk and swish in that case.

What kind of pail system do you have? dry

What is your wash routine? (how you wash, what detergent/additives, how often, how do you dry?) I wash every other day now but plan to wash daily once our newbie comes. I do a cold rinse with nothing then an extra long hot wash with 1/2 cup baking soda and tide free, then an extra cold rinse with 1/4 cup vinegar then dry on high. Once we move off post(military) I will be line drying as much as possible!

And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object? hmm.....lots of wool longies
#64 of 68 Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Anyone want to chime in? I'm sure there are members here now that weren't around when this thread was going. I've found this to be so helpful as I wade into CD'ing.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#65 of 68 Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM

How long have you been CDing? forever it seems- but off and on- but mostly on for 6 years
How do you like it? Well I finally figured out what washing routine works for us- so much better finally.
Why do you cloth diaper? no stinky disposables in the trash- and cute cloth that is cheap!

What kind of dipes are in your stash? I have tried about everything.  I have Prefolds, AIOs, fitted, PUL, wool.  The only think I hate is fuzzibunz and anything poly fleece.

What's your favorite diaper/diaper combo?Mostly now I use homemade fitted diapers and if I use a cover (don't usually durning the day) it is wool Longies or Shorties.

What kind of wipes do you use? Double layer flannel wipes that my mom made
What kind of diaper solution do you use? I usually just use tap water for my wipes and wet them each time I need one or two.
What is your overnight system? I hate CDs at night.  My kids sleep a long time- so I use a daily disposable.
Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them? Well wet just goes in the pail- poo gets sprayed off.  Love the diaper sprayer.  I am not a dunk and swish kind of girl.
What kind of pail system do you have? Just a medium trash can with a tight fitting lid from target.  I had a huge pail when I started that I used wet bags in- and I like no bags and a pail I can just rinse out.

What is your wash routine? (how you wash, what detergent/additives, how often, how do you dry?)Mine has changed so much over the years.  I have a high efficiency washer- so I use the power wash setting- which is Hot with 2 rinses.  A cap of SolUMel and plenty of detergent since I have very hard water.
And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object? not sure.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#66 of 68 Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OK I see I took this in 2009 but I am taking it again because a lot of my answers have changed, heh

How long have you been CDing?  2 years on and off.  I did cloth with DD1 full time from 4 months to 1 year, then part-time to 18 months (MIL did our daytime caregiving during that period and wouldn't use them), then switched to full-time disposables when she went to day care at 18 months (and had outgrown our onesize diapers as well at that point).  DD2 has been in cloth full time (except overnights) since birth, she is 4 months old.

How do you like it?  I still like it, though I'm less gung-ho than I was.  It's not so much about 'liking' cloth as it is 'not-liking' disposables for me.

Why do you cloth diaper?  Environmental reasons.  There are other pluses like no dealing with trash bags and cute fluffy bum but they are minor.  I'm not sure if we have saved money over disposables or not, I'd have to calculate.

(Ok quick back-of-the-envelope: I probably spent $350 on diaper stuff the first time around, and now another $250 on prefolds, couple of extra covers, Snappis and an extra wet bag.  Disposable diapers run about $50/month so that's 12 months worth of disposables.  Adding up all my cloth time from DD1 and DD2 it's about 12 months full time and 6 months part so we are ahead but not by a whole lot.)  I'm thinking about buying some overnight cloth trainers for DD1 who is still using a disposable pullup overnight, but it's almost $100 for 3 and what if she won't wear them?

What kind of dipes are in your stash?  Prefolds and covers (9 Softbums covers, plus two random pockets I use as covers for prefolds).  I have a whole bunch of the original inserts that came with the Softbums which I no longer use because they leak.  I also have a few things I'm not using at the moment: 3 FB OS pockets that I don't like bc they are too wide across the crotch, two large BG AIOs and two nb size covers that don't fit right now.

What's your favorite diaper/diaper combo?  Prefold and Softbums or Thirsties cover

What kind of wipes do you use? assortment of cloth wipes (cheap baby washcloths, some bamboo ones from BumGenius, some cotton terry from GMD).  I don't use wipes much, I usually run her bum under the tap for most changes

What kind of diaper solution do you use? tap water

What is your overnight system? disposable!  I got real tired of fighting leaks with cloth at night, plus the huge bum didn't seem good for her spine

Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them?  not yet, DD2 is EBF  I used to use a plastic squirt bottle to get rid of solids for DD1.

What kind of pail system do you have? right now just a hanging wet bag

What is your wash routine?  Wash when the bag is full, usually every other day.  Prerinse, wash hot with Rockin Green, double rinse, machine dry.

And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object?  I would like to try fitteds and wool for overnight but wool seems very expensive, I am absolutely not a DIY person, and I have already spent enough money on cloth diapers.  If wool were cheaper I would buy two fitteds and a wool cover to see how I like them.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#67 of 68 Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
myk

How long have you been CDing? from 7-11 months, then took a break, then back at it at 14 months.

How do you like it? love it, usually

Why do you cloth diaper? disposables really gross me out. the squooshy goo that is pee-filled super absorbant polymer is so yucky.. and it'll stink for all eternity

What kind of dipes are in your stash? primarily AMP pockets, also prefolds and wraps, a couple wool covers, and some flats that i almost never use.

What's your favorite diaper/diaper combo? i love prefolds and wraps, daddy will only use pockets. i like pockets too.

What kind of wipes do you use? disposable. which doesn't make a lot of sense, i admit.

What kind of diaper solution do you use? n/a

What is your overnight system? disposables. gross, but all combinations of cloth i've tried have resulted in leaks and unhappy baby at night.

Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them? diaper sprayer - priceless!

What kind of pail system do you have? PUL bag in regular trash can with step-on lid.

What is your wash routine? (how you wash, what detergent/additives, how often, how do you dry?) front loading washer - delicate wash no detergent (uses most water, cold water) followed by hot wash, extra rinse with country save. occasionally oxy-clean. machine dry in winter, line dry covers and pocket inserts when possible, machine dry all prefolds (otherwise they get really scratchy and baby's sensitive)

And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object? oh that's a tough one. probably a set of wool longies for winter and skirties/shorties for summer.

January 2011
#68 of 68 Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 AM

How long have you been CDing?   3+ years

How do you like it? Wouldn't do it any other way!  Not to say there aren't challenges...... but overall, I love it!

Why do you cloth diaper? Environment, safety (no chemicals for my babes), and because they're cuter!

What kind of dipes are in your stash? Just about everything; FuzziBunz, bumGenius, prefolds, bamboo, AMP, Applecheeks, Motherease, Mommy's Touch, Bummis, etc,etc,etc.

What's your favorite diaper/diaper combo? Just got some hand-me-down bumGenius and love them, otherwise the FuzziBunz.

What kind of wipes do you use? Baby face cloths, old cut-up t-shirts/flannel pj bottoms,  and Jackson Reese for on the go.

What kind of diaper solution do you use? Plain old water

What is your overnight system?  Any of my pockets with an extra soaker, usually bamboo

Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them? Dunk them in the toilet

What kind of pail system do you have?  Wet bag

What is your wash routine? (how you wash, what detergent/additives, how often, how do you dry?) Cold rinse, hot wash with soapnuts or Nellie's, every 3-4 days, dry outside when possible (weather permitting) or line dry inside (no dryer)

And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object? Maybe some wool products, otherwise, just more of them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page