Corn Starch for diaper rash? - Mothering Forums
Diapering > Corn Starch for diaper rash?
Scarlet_Redhead's Avatar Scarlet_Redhead 01:35 PM 08-17-2009
I went to my mother this weekend and of course forgot something....diaper cream. I went to walgreens and kmart and they did not have anything natural/organic to use with cloth diapers. My mother said that back in the day they used corn starch for rash. We tried it and the rash seemed to get better. Anyone else tried this?

Sleepyheaded_Mama's Avatar Sleepyheaded_Mama 03:37 PM 08-17-2009
I can't speak to whether it's safe for cloth dipes or not, prior to this baby all my kids have been in 'sposies. But I have used it frequently and it does seem to help clear up rashes. It was suggested to me by an older woman who told me she used to use it 'back in the day' on all her babies bums.
Gabes Mommy's Avatar Gabes Mommy 04:51 PM 08-17-2009
I would think it would be fine for CDs as long as you wash and rinse any excess off of the diapers. I've heard good things about it for treating diaper rash, but hadn't tried it myself.
cristeen's Avatar cristeen 06:24 PM 08-18-2009
Yup - cornstarch is super absorbent, it works great for irritant rashes. But you never want to use it on a yeast rash, since it just feeds the yeast.
Katie T's Avatar Katie T 11:52 PM 08-18-2009
I have used cornstarch for my kids 3 yrs of cloth diapering using pickets & prefold works great as you discovered and hasnt had any effects on my diapers It is my go to treatment often times helping in one diaper change!
Sleepyheaded_Mama's Avatar Sleepyheaded_Mama 01:54 AM 08-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Yup - cornstarch is super absorbent, it works great for irritant rashes. But you never want to use it on a yeast rash, since it just feeds the yeast.
Good to know, thank you for sharing that!!!!
poppan's Avatar poppan 05:00 PM 08-19-2009
Just wanted to add that some AIO/pocket manufacturers have said use of cornstarch will void their warranties -- apparently it can break down the PUL. Should be fine to use on fitteds, prefolds and anything else that is PUL-free though.
Earth Momma's Avatar Earth Momma 07:55 PM 08-19-2009
the best diaper rash 'cream' is still breast milk!!
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 09:22 PM 08-19-2009
We've used it the times DS had really bad rashes- it did seem to help. DH's mom used it all the time on her kids.
Up