If you don't use cloth, why not? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only use cloth about half the time....does my response count?

We use disposables because they are easier, plain and simple. I've got a lot going on in my life and a DD with a SN and medical problems. It makes it easier when I take her out. An quite frankly, she's FTT and skeletal looking and a cloth diaper under her clothes just looks horrible, making her weight loss more noticeable. Yeah, silly reason I know. But I hate people staring and it's just a small way to help her blend in a bit.

Also, I can only wash 1-2 times a week because I don't have a W/D and I use my DBF's. So having huge amounts of diapers to wash is super annoying, especially when they won't fit in one load.

There ya go. Not the best reasons. I could certainly do cloth 100% of the time if I really wanted to. I don't feel like it...I'm lazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 AM

1. Overwhelmed by the choices and unable to figure out what was a good brand or how to identify quality diapers.

2. Giant baby. By the time I started really considering cloth DD was big enough for the largest sizes and we still had a year or more of diapers ahead of us. I did order one Fuzzi Bun aio and it fit, on the last snap. So not cost effective for the investment.

3. Didn't know about the liners that make clean up easier.

4.Didn't know anyone who used cloth, had never seen it modeled.

5.Cloth uses a lot of water--extra rinsing, stripping etc... A lot of water. I'm not sure I buy that they are so much lighter on the earth. EC is probably the best green option.

6.Most people end up using disposables too along with cloth, which I didn't find an endorsement of cloth. If cloth is so great, why do people need disposables at all?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
crl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I'm in the middle of writing a piece on cloth diapers and I wanted to address the other side. Real reasons/problems/etc against cloth. The more specific you could be that would be great. I'm aware of the biggies, like laundry, pins, plastic pants.

I would love to hear about your experiences if you tried cloth and then switched.

Thanks mamas!
I did not use cloth for our first. I meant to. I even bought a few diapers to try out. Then DS came home. He was 14 months--adopted. He needed to held ALL THE TIME. Our w/d were in the non-child proofable section of our basement. Laundry was nearly impossible to do. So, basically laundry as you mentioned.

I am seriously conidering trying again for our second--if that ever happens. Our w/d set up is much more accessible now.

Catherine
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 AM

can i ask where you all live that there is a cd community that is snobby and even gives a hoot what you put on your child? the homeschool group we belonged too had lots of cd families and everyone used different stuff and no one said a thing ever about who used what. we even traded with each other if someone out grew something to help each other out. no one said "I won't use pins and prefolds" . it seems so strange to me... just wondering.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The more research I did on cloth, the more confusing it became. I was just overwhelmed. Cloth diapers come with their own language. Everyone has an opinion and they're all conflicting. The initial investment can be quite big (as opposed to spending a little at a time with disposables) and you can very easily invest in the wrong kid that's not the best fit for your kid and life, or at least that is the impression. My rational mind thinks, come on, there are only so many ways to wad up a hunk of fabric to catch pee, just pick something and buy it! Then this person swears that diaper changed her life and that person swears the same one led to endless rashes for her child.

I don't know anyone in real life who uses cloth so I didn't have much going on in the "trusted friend who had been there and done that" area to at least talk me through it. Everytime I mentioned it in front of older relatives who had used cloth (my mother, my grandmother, my aunts and great aunts) everyone acted disgusted, like I had just proposed washing them by hand on a rock in the river. I tried explaining that cloth had come a long way and why someone might want to use cloth but then I was so overwhelmed and swamped with info it's not like I put up a very convincing argument.

It was, in the end, less confusing to just go to Target and buy Pampers. My daughter came almost a month early and I still hadn't decided or ordered anything. I kept thinking that I would just keep researching and switch because she was going to spend a few years in diapers, I had time. Then we spent so much time going back and forth to the doctor (small health issues) and in the car and she never slept, puked constantly, and cried round the clock. Honestly, I was glad not to have one more thing to worry about.

Should we have another, I'll make another go at choosing cloth. I don't think I'd ever use cloth full time because of the bulky diapers and having to carry um, used ones around with me but at home it would be nice to use cloth. I'm still a little unsure as to whether the water useage with cloth doesn't outweigh the landfill issue with disposables but...I have plenty of time to think about it.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM

I used cloth for a time with my first. The laundry was overwhelming for me, and that was with only one child and dh and me! I'm not good at keeping up with laundry, and cloth sends me over the edge.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:28 PM

I used cloth with my first for 6 months or so but when I was late in pregnancy with my second and got that pubis disorder thing, I was overwhelmed. The number one that did it for me was how hands on you have to be with poop. Everyone told me that once they are toddlers, you just roll it off into the toilet but it never worked that way. His poop was always smooshy so I would have to scrape it off with tp, it would be stuck to the cloth wipes, the liners were gross and didn't work. When it was solid enough to roll off, it splashed the water into my face. Vomit. Poop smelling laundry. Then I got ppd (and still struggle with it) and it was all just too much for me. With how much laundry I was doing, I couldn't believe it was better for the environment. Filling landfills sucks, but we are also in danger of running out of clean water. So I chose the evil that wouldn't make me nuts in the process and decided to not feel bad about it. I miss how cute they are though. Oh and they cost a fortune. I get dipes at Costco and we just don't spend that much on them.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 PM

working 60 hours/ week + baby + laundry for five people = sposies

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM

With my first two, I was working full time, the daycare would not have been able to handle cloth. With my third, I bought the diapers, but the laundry was overwhelming. Way too much. I was doing laundry all the time. I couldn't believe that was in any way better for the environment that sposies. So I tried, couldn't do it, switched to sposies and have never looked back. I'm gentle to the environment in so many other ways, but this one was just insurmountable to me.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 PM

I really feel for people who get into cloth and find it confusing. If I hadn't come from a cloth diapering family myself, and recently cared for my younger God-sister who was in cloth, I fear I might have given up trying to navigate all the choices and systems and language, etc.

Thank goodness also for cloth diaper service! Though we only used them for the first half year of ds' life, they really gave us a foot in the door.

I did do cloth, and actually *had* to do cloth for a while for financial reasons, but I never managed to do it 100% of the time. We always used disposables at night because:

1. With ds, he peed TONS at night...he was a frequent peer. We would have been up all night changing him to keep him dry and avoid leaks. The brand of disposables we tried to a fantastic job at both keeping him dry and preventing leaks. We decided sleep and thus sanity, in addition to our son's comfort had to weigh more heavily in that case.

2. With dfd, she got rashes using cloth overnight, even when she hadn't peed. I'm not sure what it was. We were at that time using a cloth system that had been given to us, and I didn't have the money to invest in other systems to see if something else would have stopped the rashes.

We also sometimes put disposables on the kids when we were going to be out of the house through more than a single change. I wasn't as attached to doing that, but dw felt that lugging around the cloth, etc. was among factors that discouraged her from going out...and she really *needed* to go out. Also, if you put the dirty diaper cloth in a plastic bag-- albeit a reused one-- you have to throw that bag away afterward, and that has its own environmental issues (plastic bags are a HUGE problem environmentally).

And finally, we sometimes took a month or two off here and there. Like when we were moving cross country. We had enough going on with the packing up our lives to add even a little extra laundry on top of that.

My kids (who are eleven months apart, BTW), are 3 and 4 now, and out of diapers...dd as of earlier this summer. They each graduated directly out of cloth, not out of disposables or an in-between option such as plastic training pants. We briefly entertained the idea of doing EC back when the kids were babes, but it just didn't work out.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 PM

P.S. Even though we couldn't afford it by then, anyway, I should note that when we moved we went from a community that had two or three diaper service companies to choose from to a community with no diaper service at all.

I am a true believer in diaper service for folks who can swing it (and it really isn't that much more expensive than disposables), as I think it gets folks past the barrier or the laundry.

I know some cloth advocates say, "it isn't that much more laundry than I already had with the baby," but when you are already overwhelmed by laundry, adding on diapers can truly push it over the edge.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 PM

There were lots of reasons. I work full time out of the home. My non-work time is precious, and I wanted to spend it with the kids, not doing more laundry. I've been around people who cloth diaper and it is more work and more laundry.

My day care provider would not have been enthusiastic about cloth, and frankly, in her position, I don't blame her. It didn't make any sense to me to invest a wad in cloth diapers that I couldn't use half the time.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 PM

I tried cloth when my first son was about 5 months. I used MDC as my research tool. I bought what I thought was the most highly recommended, which was fitteds with inserts + covers. I was excited about it. They totally leaked! So then I tried Fuzzi Buns with exta padding, and they totally leaked. So, I gave up. I felt like I tried...either I was doing something wrong, or my ds's pee-ing style was so unusual that cloth diapers would not work for us!!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM

I'll do it the math way too!

coin-op washer
+
low flow water to said washer
+
needing multiple washes to remove most of the stink but never all of it
+
horrific bleeding diaper rash that changed baby's ability to sleep through the night
=
Sposies!

In the end sposies have been cheaper where I'm at because of my only washer option. I was spending $10+ a week on washing my diapers. That's as much as I spend on our normal laundry! DS2 slept through the night from day 1 until our landlord changed our washing machine and the diaper rash began. It hurt so bad he couldn't sleep. Everytime he pee'd he would wake up screaming. The day we switched to sposies, his diaper rash started to clear, and he slowly started to sleep all night again.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 PM

I am easily confused for one thing, haha. I feel overwhelmed every time I look at information on cloth diapers. I don't know anyone in real life that uses them. In fact, everyone was very negative and rude any time I mentioned wanting to try cloth!
The start up was too expensive. I asked for them as baby shower gifts but no one bought any! People are still giving us disposables though. I tried to learn to sew just so I could make some cheap but I don't know anyone that sews either! I felt overwhelmed by that too, haha.
I don't mind doing tons of laundry for some reason, so that is not an issue.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi96 View Post
Plain and simple I don't have the time, energy, or desire to use cloth.
I actually have the desire, I don't have the funds to invest right now, I also can barely keep up with laundry as it is. Also for me if I had bought them with DD I would have been happy to do cloth, now I am expecting baby #2 and am done after this, so the investment seems a like a bit of a waste.

I also have bought a bunch of diapers for pennies a piece due to my couponing and sales shopping, I seriously have nearly enough diapers for the baby's first year for way less than I would spend on cloth. I'm actually saving money. Plus I also practiced the 12 month window EC and she was out of diapers by 20 months, so I guess I am ok with it.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 08-27-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
You know, I CD'd all three of my kids, but I have to agree with those who mentioned snobbery as a turn-off. When I had my first two in 1993 and 1995, there was no internet and I didn't know anyone who CD'd (though my mom and all her friends had of course used cloth), so I didn't know any different than to go out and buy a stack of pre-folds, some pins, and vinyl pants. Worked fabulous, no problems every. Yes, my kids looked weird when double (and then later triple) diapered for bedtime, but they didn't care, so I didn't either.
Until Gerber switched to PEVA, I used the same system. I love prefolds and pins. There's nothing better for the "take diaper off and pee on the floor" stage.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM

I didn't cloth diaper kid#1, because it wasn't even on my radar yet so we used sposies. This was before I came to MDC and then I became a total hippie.

With DD2 we used Bummis wraps, Proraps, and prefolds. The prefolds worked great for a long time so when she got much bigger I decided to stick with them but use wool covers and longies. So I had ordered a bunch in toddler size to take us through to potty training.

Well...around 18 months when she started eating much more solid food, her bum became so irritated. Her pee burned her so bad and the prefolds just rubbed her raw, so we switched to sposies to give her hiney a break. And then I took most of the advice I read here in the diapering forums and tried troubleshooting (playing musical detergents, boiling, liners, etc) and after about a month of that I said to hell with it and we have used sposies ever since. I also didn't have a lump of money to drop on a new stash of Fuzzibuni or whatever. In July when money started to become really tight I tried switching her back to the cloth because I figured she was wearing underwear and potty training for the most part so the time that she would be in a diaper would be pretty limited, but the second I put them on her and she peed in them she got a raging diaper rash.

As she got bigger I was also annoyed with how I couldn't fit pants over her diapers, she was kind of chunky to begin with. I could only do the cloth with baby legs for so long because I could barely get the baby legs over her thighs by the time she was a year old.

So here we are.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM

I just couldn't stand the idea of those wet, smelly things in my house and my washing machine. Yuck.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Baby #1 - I had a long, government-supported parental leave with additional employer-supported benefits. Lots of time and energy to deal with cloth diapers and keep up with all the laundry. We used disposables for traveling - both grandparents lived about 2 hours away, and we were on the highway a fair amount that first year.

Baby #2 - I had gone back to university. She was born between finishing a post-graduate degree and starting an internship, with no parental leave benefits (i.e. no money). I had a 3 y.o., a newborn, an intensely demanding and competitive job that required 60 to 80 hours per week. DH picked up the slack in a big way at home - luckily his job was more flexible, but he was still working a 40 hr. week. She wore disposables almost always. I can't say I felt hugely guilty about it either - you do what you have to do.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
pjs

I used cloth with my first two. With my third, I'm still trying to figure out how to keep up with laundry without having a load of diapers in the mix (soaking/xxtra sanitary cycle taking so much time). Number four is on the way and I already do 2+ loads of laundry just about every day (less in the winter as we're not out and about- getting sandy at the beach or sticky from dripping watermelon juice) so I'm not even thinking about attempting cloth unless $$$ gets really, really tight.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM

I had to come to terms that even if I couldn't do CD full time I would do what I could. Day care flatly refused to use them even though there is a provision in my state's day care regs that specifically mentions cloth.

My mother has arthritis in her thumbs and found doing the snaps on Motherease diapers difficult. If my mom was watching DD I'd give her options depending on what kind of pain day Mom was having.

When we'd go camping or on long drives I'd use disposables. I didn't want to spend my vacation in a laundrymat.

I think that there was this atitude that if you can't do cloth 24/7 then why bother. It just wasn't that big of a deal for us. Ever nasty disposable that we kept out of a landfill was a small victory to me.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM

I didn't use cloth becasue

#1 I am lazy and didnt' want to bother with storing and washing used diapers. I felt guilty about it, but not guilty enough to switch.

#2 occasioanlly I would think about switching and research the internet and ther is SO MUCH INFORMATION, and SO MANY KINDS, it was too overwhelming and I didn't know where to even start.

#3 BM stool doens't bother me at all, but the nurse in me could not get over putting solid food poop, ecoli and all that bacteria into my washing machine on a regular basis, even thought I have a disinfection cycle on the washer.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
-Another thing that a PP mentioned that drove me away - the bulk. I love buying cute kids' clothes, and when DS was past the age where onesies and babylegs were cute, sposies started to look a lot better. I couldn't fit cloth under jeans. I felt like I was restricting his movement and making him miserable.
I'm glad to hear someone else say this. Honestly, it's probably my No. 1 reason for not sticking with CDing. I hated how they looked on my daughter, and I tried just about every combo out there. Vain, but true. And when we tried prefolds, no matter how I folded them, it looked like she had a FUPA. Not a good look on a baby. DH hated the look, too.

Besides that, I WOH FT, and we spend a lot of time visiting our families two hours away. Most weekends in summer are spent at the lake, and I hated the thought of bringing along enough bulky diapers, storing dirties during the weekend and then hauling them home. Too much hassle.

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM

I started with cloth. I don't mind laundry, so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that my son HATED cloth right from the beginning. He would not sleep at all in a cloth diaper and cried like every 5 minutes only to be soothed by a diaper change. We quit the cloth until around 6 months. He didn't mind it as much then. But, I was very used to the look of clothes without all that bulk. Stuck with cloth for the most part for a while, but am now in a bad sposie phase. I just really don't like the way he looks in the bubbly bottom cloth diapers. And, you totally need to have different clothes for each, so that makes switching back and forth between them hard. Plus, it is much more convenient to be able to run errands and not have to worry about diaper changes. My son isn't even bad about diaper changes, but it's so much nicer not to have to stop all the time to change a diaper.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM

I used sposies with our first. Then when our second came, we started cloth.

At first, like pps have mentioned, it was overwhelming. Now, I stick with simpler = better. Those pockets and AIOs - hate 'em. They don't last. They leak, at least for us. Constant buildup, constant stripping. The best thing I did was sell them to another sucker.

Now, we do both. I've gotten a more simplied system that I love : and have used it for my second kid, my third kid and now my fourth kid. So it's been a huge $$$ saver for us and all the dipes have held up perfectly.

My "rules" are:
We use sposies at night.
We use sposies when we're in a pinch and the diaper stash is out.
We use sposies when we really want a trim butt.
We use sposies once kiddo is eating solids (in my house right around one year old) and I get to the point where I can't take the gross poops anymore.
We use sposies when I'm pregnant and have morning sickness, then resume with cloth when the MS is gone.
We use sposies if there's any inkling of a rash and I want to use rash creams.

Every other time we use cloth.

Never had a problem with our cloth being too bulky for clothes, but I do buy only very trim fitted diapers and covers, and we dress the babes in onepiece rompers and stuff, so there isn't a "waist/butt" issue like in pants or jeans. And any girls wear dresses or onepieces anyway.

(And as for the bulky issue, I'd much prefer seeing a baby with a big cloth butt than seeing a baby with overloaded-sposie-sag any day. I know too many sposie users who literally let their kids max out on the sposie capacity and by the time a change comes, that thing is hanging to their knees! That's just gross.)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:38 PM

I have used cloth in various forms for all of my children.

DD #1-started CD at 6 month until potty training. She did wear a pull-up at night since she wet the bed until 3-4.

DD#2-used from birth until she was almost 2. We remodeled our house and moved the washer/dryer. We were without W/D for about a week and our house was a mess due to the remodeling so she was in sposies from then until potty training.

DD#3-used from birth until about 20 months. We moved and I was pregnant and just couldn't keep up with the laundry. She used them from time to time since then but only wears a diaper at night and it is a sposie.

DD#4-used from birth until about 2 months(she is almost 5m) and off and on since then. If I get to far behind on laundry then I go to the sposies.

I hate using them and I hate the cost but I have a hard time keeping up on the laundry.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Alive View Post
Despite the fact we sometimes use disposable dipes, we always use cloth wipes. We have a HUGE stash of these as they don't take up much room. Even our doctor (who is more mainstream) recommends cloth wipes over disposable ones. He says that cloth wipes are way better in preventing diaper rash. If you don't want to invest in them, he says just to get a few cheapy wash clothes.
This. I need to get some more. We lost a bunch of ours (they're here, but I don't know where) over the last year or so, and I've been using disposable wipes. I really don't like them much.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta View Post
(And as for the bulky issue, I'd much prefer seeing a baby with a big cloth butt than seeing a baby with overloaded-sposie-sag any day.
I love the look of big cloth butt. It's adorable.

Quote:
I know too many sposie users who literally let their kids max out on the sposie capacity and by the time a change comes, that thing is hanging to their knees! That's just gross.)
Yeah. I've seen that, too. It's grotesque. It's happened to me once or twice, when I was out or something and had forgotten extra diapers, but it's really gross.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I gave up because my son poops a million times a day. Well, now 5 or 6. Double that when he was an infant (he's 2 now). And, for whatever reasons, his poo is almost NEVER solid- it's like mayonaise texture, and won't "shake off", so I literally had to get a spatula and scrape it off while wearing plastic gloves, and if it doesn't land just right in the toilet, it splatters all over, or lands on the dry part of the inside of the bowl and doesn't flush off, and I have to clean my toilet almost every time I empty a diaper, wash my spatula, wash my hands, etc. The process took 10 minutes, or 50-60 minutes a day for poopy diapers only! And he pees like every hour in addition. I could really use the additional 1.5 hours a day to do something else. I don't think his poop texture is diet related- because my 4 yr old has the same diet as him and always has more solid stools- it's just this kid's constitution.

Also, if for some reason we had a busy week and I didn't get to wash the diapers within 48 hours, several times I found MAGGOTS. I do not know how the heck they got into my diaper pail, the thing looked like it sealed rock tight to me... maybe occasionally it wasn't shut just right? but it was so disgusting... I would have thrown the diapers away if they didn't cost like $17 each!!!

User Tag List