Bamboo Allergy?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible to have a bamboo allergy?? We have a bunch of bamboo diapers and they tend to give my kids red butts... it doesn't seem to happen with any cotton or fleece lined diapers, so could that be it? Do I need to just get rid of them??

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#2 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It could be. Bamboo is not pure bamboo. It's highly processed, and it's possible some part of that is causing a reaction with your kids.

Were they bought new? If they were used, it's also possible there's a residue from a previous detergent that they're sensitive to.

I'm sure some of the other mamas with great links on bamboo will post, as well.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 AM

I had the same problem with bamboo.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Some were bought new, some used... all of them give them red butts. Makes me sad because they are some of my favorite diapers!!! Guess it is time to resell them and get some other stuff then...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#5 of 11 Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Some people don't/can't use wool due to a sensitivity
Some people can't use synthetics due to a sensitivity
Some people can't use hemp due to a sensitivity
Surely there should be no reason that at least a few can't use bamboo due to a sensitivity.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#6 of 11 Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifluffedthree View Post
Some people don't/can't use wool due to a sensitivity
Some people can't use synthetics due to a sensitivity
Some people can't use hemp due to a sensitivity
Surely there should be no reason that at least a few can't use bamboo due to a sensitivity.

Mama to L 9/11/08 & S 9/23/09 "A family is a unit composed not only of children, but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold" ~Ogden Nash
#7 of 11 Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Hi, don't know mych about diapering but I can tell you this: the other day I bought a bunch of 6 ' golden bamboos to plant, and in the process of moving them from my truck to my patio (involving much contact with the leaves) I almost instantly developed a major burning, itching red rash on both arms.

Have never had this problem with any other plants purchased, so I doubt it's pesticide-related, I think it's possible some people might be allergic to bamboo / bamboo fibers. Would advise switching to different diapers. Good luck!
#8 of 11 Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Bamboo in diapers has some poly in it, so that may be the issue.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#9 of 11 Old 09-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Bamboo in diapers has some poly in it, so that may be the issue.
It's possible that your diapers have some poly, but certainly not all bamboo dipes have poly. You might call the manufacturer because while most do state 2% poly or whatever, it's not legally necessary to declare anything less than 5% on the label. Some manufacturers I know of use 0% poly fabrics, though, so certainly don't assume there has to be some.

I have no idea why your kids would react to bamboo. Maybe they're allergic to bamboo cellulose, or something else in those dipes is irritating them. It's a very interesting question. I wish I could answer it!

treehugger.gif
#10 of 11 Old 09-13-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I have BSRBs and Goodmamas... I am so sad that the bamboo hurts my kids little bums

#11 of 11 Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

No matter what it is in this world, someone's going to be allergic. It's even possible to be allergic t yourself. Sadly those babies don't live long. My ex's sister's husband's sister's son (I knew the family well enough to remember this connection) had an allergy to himself. He lived about nine months.

And I've got an allergy to aspirin, of all things.

Yes, a bamboo allergy is possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page