Mothering Forum banner

Anyone just switch the inserts and reuse the pocket diaper shell?

11K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Sarahstw 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone simply bought more inserts with pocket diapers and reuse the pocket diaper shell by changing the inserts only?

If so, how often can you do that?

#2 ·
Do you mean using the pocket diaper like a cover? As in, you put the absorbent material between the baby and the fleece? I've never heard of anybody doing that. A pocket diaper makes for a pretty expensive diaper cover, though it would certainly work. It might be good in a pinch if you have a shortage of covers.

If you mean stuff the diaper, use it, and then re-stuff the diaper with dry material to reuse without washing, that's not a good idea. Just because the lining of the pocket diaper feels dry that doesn't mean it's clean. Urine turns to ammonia pretty quickly. I'd be worried about diaper rash doing this.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabes Mommy View Post
The inserts, especially microfiber needs to go inside the pocket, and shouldn't touch the baby's skin. You wouldn't want to reuse a diaper that has pee or anything on the diaper. It can irritate the baby's skin.
Yea, that

#6 ·
I can't think of doing it on a regular basis. I wouldn't so it unless it was an 'emergency' like I had two diapers, but one needed to be changed and the snaps on the other diaper broke or if I was travelling and ran out of clean diapers and one of the other pee dirty diapers had mostly dried. It would have to be something drastic for me to do that.

#7 ·
I did that a few times. I only had a couple of pockets, given as hand-me-downs, and that was how they were explained to me. I didn't like doing it, though, because a) it was gross to reach in and get the wet liner and change it, b) it felt sort of like putting a dirty diaper back on my kid, and c) the liner got stinky.

#8 ·
I do it with Haute Pockets, if the pee wasn't a real soaker, and I am using infant prefolds as the insert. Will reuse once. We always use liners, so I felt DD's important parts were being protected with a fresh liner. Pulling wet inserts doesn't bother me -- nothing compared to swishing a poopy in the toilet to get it clean.

#11 ·
I have AppleCheeks diapers and they are pocket diapers that can be used as all-in-twos as well.
I reuse the covers (as AI2s) and just switch out the flats all the time. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do that with other pocket dipes too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.