Favorite Newborn Disposable? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since this is our first baby and we have no idea what we are doing, we decided to take the first week and use disposable diapers. Then, we will switch to cloth.

I'm wondering what everyone's favorites are. I've spent hours looking at all the different posts, but just thought I might be able to get a better idea if I start a thread.

Thank you!

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#2 of 30 Old 09-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We used disposables at first for that reason & due to all the moving & travelling we've done. I personally like the huggies best. Ime the pampers don't absorb as well & the poop would end up halfway up ds' back every. single. time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 30 Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM

we plan on doing the same thing. i am due next week. i got the Huggies Swaddlers NB, they have a dip for the cord and a stripe down the center that turns yellow when there is pee this will help dh learn when to change

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#4 of 30 Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM

We've always done best with pampers. we've mostly used cloth with this nb (4 wks today!), but in the hospital and periodically, we've put on sposies. Like when I get behind on laundry.

For us, huggies always leaked more than pampers. I guess it just depends on your kid! We got a few at the hospital to take home, so that might happen, too. With this babe we only brought home a few, but with ds1, they gave us a whole extra package.

I wouldn't buy too many - you never know what size your baby will be. And if the hospital gives you some, you might not need any at all!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#5 of 30 Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 PM

My favorite newborn diapers are a tie between Earth's Best and Nature Babycare. I like Earth's Best a little better as they feel a little softer but they still use the gel inside. Not a fan of regular diapers. I like that these brands (as well as Seventh Generation) don't use chemicals, dyes, and fragrance.

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#6 of 30 Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 AM

My favorites are Seventh Generation or Nature Babycare. The 7th Gen fit DS better at first but he eventually fit in the other ones just as good. I won't use any diapers that have plastic or chemicals in them. I did use huggies or pampers a few times and they just stuck to DS's bum, I hated it!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#7 of 30 Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 AM

I really liked Pampers Swaddlers. I've used them for all 4 kids in that tiny newborn stage
#8 of 30 Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 AM

I liked Pampers swaddlers for the newborn stage. If you are birthing in a hospital, they should provide you with diapers while you are there and you can take home whatever is left of the package that you use in the hospital. It's a small package of maybe 20 diapers (at least that was the case when I birthed in a hospital). The brand the hospital uses will probably vary depending on where you live. I live in P&G country so our local hospitals have Pampers.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#9 of 30 Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Try cloth! No poop-splosions and so much nicer on tiny little bums

No reason to wait.

-Angela
#10 of 30 Old 09-08-2009, 02:31 PM

I second the suggestion to go straight to cloth! We used cloth from day 1 on our new baby and it was super easy. I had her in disposables for 4 days when she was a month old when we went camping and they were a way bigger hassle than the cloth was.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#11 of 30 Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 PM

We used Huggies NB dipes for DS and they were okay- we did have our share of leaky diapers though! We had horrible luck with Pampers.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#12 of 30 Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 PM

No leaking with cloth fitteds or AIOs

Every time I've used disposables they've leaked poop... :

-Angela
#13 of 30 Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 AM

Although I agree that you have less poop explosions with a well-fitting cloth diaper than a disposable, they may take some trial and error to find something well-fitting. I tried many times to cloth diaper DD1 in those first few months and failed--it took some time to find out what fit her best. (I eventually became something of a diaper geek and now own a business selling diapers, so I did get over it!)

Also, if you're overwhelmed with just the basics, doing an additional load of laundry every few days doesn't help matters. Cut yourself some slack and get some 'sposies. If you don't use them you can always donate them to a womens shelter or other family services agency.

Back to the original question: I like Nature BabyCare. I have also used Pampers, and although they work good most of the time I have had the poop fountain going up the back. Yuck...
#14 of 30 Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM

We used some of the Pampers Swaddlers with the yellow line that turns green when wet. Those are nice and convenient. Very soft!

I mostly used Natural Choice dipes the first week or two because they were a more earth-friendly option. (When I felt ready I started my prefolds/covers, then Bum Genius.)

I also tried 7th Generation. I liked that they're chlorine free, but they didn't seem to work as well as the Natural Choice. You can get Natural Choice dipes on Amazon if they don't have them at your grocery store.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#15 of 30 Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM

As a first time mom and new to cloth diapering I would completely reccommend doing sposies those first few weeks (we used Pampers and Huggies). I did sposies with ds for 2 weeks and don't regret a second of it. You will be overwhelmed with enough things the last thing you need to stress about is diapers and laundry. For us establishing breastfeeding, lack of sleep and the overall post partum hormones was enough to drive me batty. Had I started cloth diapering right away I KNOW now that I would have quit. And what a waste that would have been. After 2 weeks we started cding during the day and doing sposies at night then eventually went to using cds all the time including outtings. It took me quite a while to figure out what I liked and how to keep ds from leaking all over the place. Prefolds did not work for us. I'm guessing it was more user error, but I just could not get them down. I learned that I preferred fitteds with a Thirsties XS cover and they also worked for ds because he was a heavy wetter. As ds grows I'm learning that I prefer pockets and AIOs now. Take your time and ease into it mama. Cloth diapering is not an all or nothing thing otherwise I would have quit a long time ago.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#16 of 30 Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 PM

7th Generation, but they run small. With my newborn, toddler and older child, there is no way I would have been able to wash my diapers like I do now in the early days. I'm in awe of those who could.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#17 of 30 Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to those who for the support decision to use disposables at first. I really appreciate it. In a perfect world, I'd start with cloth right away, but seeing as it's just DH and me...with no experience, I think it makes sense to plan on starting with sposies and taking if from there. (DH doesn't even do regular laundry!!).

Who knows...maybe everything will go so smoothly that we'll start cloth earlier than thought. But, I want to be prepared....

Proud mom of Dylan born 10/10/09
#18 of 30 Old 09-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithK View Post
Thank you to those who for the support decision to use disposables at first. I really appreciate it. In a perfect world, I'd start with cloth right away, but seeing as it's just DH and me...with no experience, I think it makes sense to plan on starting with sposies and taking if from there. (DH doesn't even do regular laundry!!).

Who knows...maybe everything will go so smoothly that we'll start cloth earlier than thought. But, I want to be prepared....
That's a good idea. I transitioned slowly this time around because it had been over 10 years since I've used cloth diapers. I also switched my toddler to cloth at the same time as my new baby.

#19 of 30 Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
No leaking with cloth fitteds or AIOs

Every time I've used disposables they've leaked poop... :

-Angela
You're lucky! I've had leaking and explosions with both cloth and disposables.

#20 of 30 Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Pampers Swaddlers hands down. We tried huggies but they started leaking in both Newborn and Size 1. But with pampers swaddlers no problems at all, I loved them! Also, the Target brand is horrible. They made my babies skin red when wet, it wasn't a rash either. It went away as soon as he was back in Pampers.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#21 of 30 Old 09-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Another vote for cloth. Way better than any sposie I've ever used.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#22 of 30 Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CParker View Post
Although I agree that you have less poop explosions with a well-fitting cloth diaper than a disposable, they may take some trial and error to find something well-fitting. I tried many times to cloth diaper DD1 in those first few months and failed--it took some time to find out what fit her best. (I eventually became something of a diaper geek and now own a business selling diapers, so I did get over it!)

Also, if you're overwhelmed with just the basics, doing an additional load of laundry every few days doesn't help matters. Cut yourself some slack and get some 'sposies. If you don't use them you can always donate them to a womens shelter or other family services agency.

Back to the original question: I like Nature BabyCare. I have also used Pampers, and although they work good most of the time I have had the poop fountain going up the back. Yuck...

:

Ds was in the NIcu for a week so he had sposies. We realized when we got home that we did not have enough cloth so we used his 7 newborn cloths with some sposies we received as gifts. The pampers were the worst,huggies next, seventh gen , target brand held up the best. But, i am not a fan of the chemical dipes. We also had issues with the cloth hydrating the cord stump. ds had a very, very low rise and the diaper would not go low enough. This time we are going to hopefully come home right away and we will be using Naturebabycare dipes for a few days as dh will have no clue how to wash the dipes (he does not know how to use our washer, I banned him when he broke not one but two our past washers and a dryer) and I am not going to go down three flights of stairs three plus times to do one diaper wash. No way! I am focusing on breastfeeding and ds. I do not need diapers to complicate my life. Cding although it worked well is extremely time consuming. I do not have one of those washers that you can set and go I ahve to keep going back down and star the next cycle. After a week or so I will throw in the initial wash and tell dh how to do the rest. Plus the baby will be bigger and fit more of our stash. This time I will keep an open mind the last time I was all cloth and found it hard to leave the house as ds pooped every feeding which was 12-14 poops a day. And that went on for a very long time!!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#23 of 30 Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 PM

We used Pampers Swaddlers and loved them. We got a package of Huggies as a gift and every darn one of those leaked. I didn't have the patience to deal with that so after the first 4 leaked I gave the rest of the (JUMBO!) pack away. But we always had great luck with Pampers.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#24 of 30 Old 09-12-2009, 11:46 PM

Pampers swaddlers are the best for newborns IMO.

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#25 of 30 Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Does anyone else find the Pampers to be too strongly scented? The baby powder smell gives me a headache (and I prefer to smell fresh baby smell instead).

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#26 of 30 Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post
Does anyone else find the Pampers to be too strongly scented? The baby powder smell gives me a headache (and I prefer to smell fresh baby smell instead).
I agree! That baby powder diaper smell is GROSS. We had 2 packs of Pampers that they gave us at the hospital, which we used during week 1. I could smell them even when DS was swaddled.

We did disposables for the first week, then switched to cloth. We used 7th Generation and the hospital pampers. We had lots of leaks with the 7th Gen., and some leaks with the Pampers, too. The 7th Gen. ones also had kind of a funky smell when they were peed in (not nearly as bad as the Pampers smell, though). We tried Nature Babycare later (for the occasional outing when I didn't want to deal with cloth), and they were nice.
#27 of 30 Old 09-13-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post

That is why I went with the Nature babycare. No chemicals. The other Newborn unscented Seventh gen do not handle poop explosions at all!!!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#28 of 30 Old 09-13-2009, 01:05 AM

Another vote for swaddlers! At least until the meconium is done with. Huggies gave my babies bum burn. Something to do with the coloured liner. They also felt like cardboard and leaked like a sonofagun.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#29 of 30 Old 09-13-2009, 01:08 AM

I love how pampers smell :. They remind me of my childhood. The swaddlers and cruisers IIRC, aren't scented though. It's the baby dry that are.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#30 of 30 Old 09-13-2009, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post
I love how pampers smell :. They remind me of my childhood. The swaddlers and cruisers IIRC, aren't scented though. It's the baby dry that are.
I will confess to loving the smell of a a package of Pampers diapers a friend gave me before my first was born. I associated the smell with babies, and therefore it was very positive.

Now, though, the smell of disposables makes me queasy. When I was pregnant last, I couldn't walk down that aisle without feeling quite ill. :

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page