Stripping is NOT working!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot get my diapers stripped so that they do not stink!! : I turned my water up to 160 degrees, have rinsed them multiple times until I see no bubbles and even added a small amount of bleach. And yet everytime ds wears them I smell that harsh ammonia smell and they irritate him anyway! Could it be my detergent? I'm using Purex Free and Natural.

Any recommendations?

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#2 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 05:40 PM

Honestly if you can do it I'd go invest in some regular old tide do a regular wash rinse well and see if that doesn't help.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#3 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I actually just bought some Tide for the first time but I have not used it on my diapers. I will try that! Thanks!

#4 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 05:48 PM

What kind of diapers are they?
#5 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 PM

Boil them. Seriously. It is not nearly as bad as it may seem at first. I had TERRIBLE stink issues with DS's dipes, and did every stripping method I could find and nothing worked. I finally decided to try boiling them as a last resort before throwing them out, and it worked like magic! Just boil them in only water for about 20 minutes in a big pot, toss them in the wash, hot water and all and let the machine spin them out. I couldn't believe how clean and new they smelled when they were done. The first time they were peed on, they just smelled faintly of pee, and nothing else. From then on, I boiled them about once a month, and we were good to go!

Magic!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Prefolds, Bumgenius, Fuzzi bunz, etc... They all smell. Blech.

I am trying the Tide right now. Typically I don't use very much detergent. I'm almost wondering if I don't use enough. If Tide doesn't work I have heard Dawn might? I think I might try sunning them after too.

#7 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM

Boil all of the snapless inserts and prefolds. (Don't boil the BG inserts b/c they have snaps that could melt). I've also heard of putting them in the dishwasher--anything with snaps on top shelf, the others on the bottom. Cover the Jetdry dispenser with plastic wrap and replace cover, then put them on the hot wash.
#8 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I'll see how the Tide works and then I'll resort to boiling them if that hasn't helped. I don't have a huge pot so I'm going to have to boil them 1 at a time! LOL

#9 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM

I put them in the dishwasher a few times. BG's and all. I use the top shelf mostly for the sake of plastic buttons. Your dishwasher will stink, but I just run one of those cleaning packs through it then. I usually do it 3 or 4 times on the hottest setting, like heavy or pots & pans. You can also try adding some white vinegar to the washer.
#10 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
Prefolds, Bumgenius, Fuzzi bunz, etc... They all smell. Blech.

I am trying the Tide right now. Typically I don't use very much detergent. I'm almost wondering if I don't use enough. If Tide doesn't work I have heard Dawn might? I think I might try sunning them after too.
I'd use bleach. PUL won't be damaged by bleach unless you do it constantly.
#11 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 PM

I boiled dipes with snaps with no problems at all. I went to Kmart and bought four big stock pots, and it was the best diaper investment I made other than my sprayer for the toilet. I could boil a big bunch in each one and I would have all four going on my stove at a time. Easy Peasy.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#12 of 22 Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 PM

yp I've boiled diaper with all kind of snaps velcro ect no problems.
Overall though that with our hard water while the top fill line on the dtergent scoop was too much the commonly reccomended few drops was way too little. I starting using the smallest scoop size for a large load and things went a lot better.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#13 of 22 Old 09-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Have you tried RLR?
#14 of 22 Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 PM

I was also going to suggest boiling... 160 F is not that hot. I use a wash cycle that's over 200 F.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#15 of 22 Old 09-19-2009, 05:31 PM

The only thing that ever worked for me was the liquid Calgon. I would wash them over and over with it and still see suds (and our water isn't particularly hard). I wish there was a cheaper alternative, but nothing else I tried worked as well.

I'd definitely try switching detergents too. I found that over time, it seemed like any detergent would build up.
#16 of 22 Old 09-20-2009, 01:44 AM

I tried switching detergents from Country Save to Charlie's, but I still get some stinkies.

How I fixed it initially was to do a bunch of hot washes with no detergent until I didn't see bubbles. I have a front loader, so I also had to add some water in. Then I resorted to bleach. That pretty much fixed it. I used a lot. But they don't stink anymore...

Now my regular wash routine (in the front loader) is to do a cold rinse/spin cycle except I turn off the "spin" option so that the diapers stay wet. I sometimes do a rinse/spin cycle with the "extra rinse" (and no spin) if the diapers have been sitting a day longer than usual. That adds more water to the washing. I do occasionally use a little bleach, too, mostly on the inserts, to keep the stinkies away.

Good luck! I hope something works for you!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#17 of 22 Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 PM

I have prefolds and Nubunz, and this is what I do now:
prefolds and inserts are washed on very hot ("sanitary cycle") with 7th Generation liquid detergent; if there is stink, I add a little Dawn ($1 at Walmart, the original formula) with an extra rinse.
The pocket diapers I wash on hot and occasionally add some Dawn too, as it really works great - the stink is gone. You just have to rinse them extra well.
#18 of 22 Old 09-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
I get stink if I don't use enough detergent. I need to use more than 1/2 way to the 1 line. If I use less, they stink very quickly. I still haven't found the magic amount that keeps the stink at bay and yet doesn't need tons of rinses to get the soap out.
I use Tide* and NatureClean (natural, fragrance free, etc), depending on which I feel like using at the time.

*I'm trying to find an alternative that works as well as Tide, but doesn't test on animals. I don't think I'll buy Tide again unless nothing else works as well.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#19 of 22 Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Is there something special about Tide or could I try another laundry detergent. Major stink here too!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#20 of 22 Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM

IME (cd'ing 3, now 4! babies), the only thing that kept our dipes (pfs, AIOs, fitteds, pockets) from developing a constant smell was Tide. Plain old Tide. I did everything you can think of- boiling, bleach, Dawn, baking soda, washing soda, Calgon, you name it. The Tide was all that worked on a consistent basis for the past 9+ years.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#21 of 22 Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Try Bac-out by biokleen. I put a couple good squirts into the first cold rinse and then do the hot wash, cold rinse. Really helped with my smells. Good luck!

Married to my best friend for 9 years. Loving being at home with my busy boy. Praying for a vbac.gif next time around!
#22 of 22 Old 09-22-2009, 01:25 AM

I think if you get charlies soap do a hot wash let agitate half way through the cycle then stop it for say a hr then let it finish then rinse a couple hot wash cycles w/no soap you will have no more problems just remember u need to get all the buildup out

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page