Hubby left her in poopy diaper for a long time - what do I watch for for infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2004, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told him before he left with her to check every 15min in case she goes poop, but when he got home a couple hours later he said he didn't think to check her because he didn't smell anything. She had poop (normally runny) caked to her whole bottom and she is really red now especially around her private parts where it gets inside of her folds. How do I know if she gets a bladder infection or something from this? Anyone have any advice?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 04:10 PM

She'll probably be fine, just a little irritated right now. Give her a nice bath (if you haven't already) & then keep her as dry as possible for the next day or two, even let her go coverless if that's an option. If she's still red in 3-4 days then you might call the ped but in my experience (w/ 3 girls, lol) they're usually fine

My 2 1/2 yo dd is really bad about not telling me when she needs a diaper...I get side tracked & sometimes she poos & ends up sitting in it for a couple hrs...ick & I always feel bad about it but she's never gotten an infection or had a rash that didn't clear itself up in just a day or two.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2004, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Other than a diaper rash, she's probably going to be fine. Children sit in their poop all the time. Unless you're able to catch it the second they poop, they're going to sit in it for at least a few minutes while you stop what you're doing and get the diapers stuff ready. I know we all try to change as soon as possible but in reality, poop is messy and will get all over them and in all their creases and folds. I'm sorry she now has a diaper rash I would just let her be naked as much as possible and treat it with whatever cream works best for you when she has a diaper on.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:19 PM

Ya I agree with the above posts. She should be fine as long as you cleaned out her "girly parts" real well.

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
Old 02-08-2004, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I feel sort of bad for getting on his case about it. The redness may have been just from the snuggly since I forgot he carries her in that and it presses hard on that part of the body. She's looking a lot better already.
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2004, 05:41 PM

This happened to us just last week. My youngest is very sensitive, and will get blisters if she is in a poopy diaper for more than a few minutes. She must have gone while in her carseat, and by the time we got home she was bright red, and starting to blister.
One thing that helps us is to grind up some oatmeal ( I use my cofee grinder) to a powder, and then put it in the tub for a good soak.

Hope she is better...

Jen

User Tag List