has anyone ever used a wrap-around wipes warmer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-09-2004, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and how does it work for you? do you get scorching at all?
#2 of 11 Old 02-09-2004, 04:25 AM

you're talking about one of the wrap around ones meant to go around the plastic wipes container, right?
we had one of those, worked great! we used huggies unscented wipes, never had any problems.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#3 of 11 Old 02-09-2004, 02:23 PM

I use one with washclothes. Works great I just make sure there is at least half a container of water in there,
Terrie sahm to Cory 10yrs, Nicholas 4 yrs and Joshua 19 months
#4 of 11 Old 02-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Banned

I have one I want to use, but I guess I need a disposable wipes container which I don't have... anyone have an empty one they want to send me? Or what else can you use that won't melt?
#5 of 11 Old 02-09-2004, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used a sterilite flip top container with mine and it worked fine (found at hell-mart) . I never had a problem with it burning anything. I just decided to skip the warmer all togetehr though because I was scared it would breed bacteria. Does anyone else worry about this?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 AM

the warmth would def. contribute to bacteria if you left cloth wipes in distilled water to warm all the time. sposies are treated so they dont get bacteria, dont know with what, surely something i cant spell or pronounce...i've read tea tree oil in the wipe water helps keep cloth wipes germfree. i've also read that you could use a spray bottle and just wet the wipes as you use them.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#7 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 05:41 AM
Banned

ROFLMBO @ 'hellmart' I call it Wal-Fart.
*snort*

Yes, tea tree oil &/or lavender oil will keep bacteria at bay. I'll have to look for a Sterilite flip top. I have tupperware-like containers, but I don't think any of them are the right size.
#8 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

i tried cloth wipes with ds for awhile, but no matter what blend of liquid I put into the container (i tried tto and lavender), the wipes still always ended up smelling mildly funky...like they were starting to develop bacteria. I rotated a lot, cleaned the warmer once a week, and didn't keep a lot of wipes in there at the same time. I would like to use cloth wipes again, but need to find a solution to this problem.

if i use a squirt bottle, though, how do i keep that liquid warm?
#9 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 PM

I never have issues with smells from my wipes warmer. I wash diapers and wipes in hot and use our filtered drinking water (reverse osmosis filtered) and Dr. Bronner's, TTO, Lavender, GSE, and Burt's Bees Apricot baby oil in the wipe solution. I also just get the wipes real wet, I don't have them sitting in standing water. Don't know which factors keep my wipes fresh, but they always are.
#10 of 11 Old 02-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mommajubilee
if i use a squirt bottle, though, how do i keep that liquid warm?
I use a squirt bottle now, and neither of my boys seem to mind the room-temperature water. I squirt a wipe and then kind of hold it in my hand for a few seconds to warm it up a bit before I wipe.

HTH!
#11 of 11 Old 02-11-2004, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually the nurse at dial-a-nurse (while usually worthless) said not to use wipes on my dd diaper rash (bleeding) because they have all sorts of bacteria. I mean think about it. It sits there forever and you wipe away poo, perhaps getting some on your finger and then reach for another one perhaps hitting the said of the container. Tihs is why I use washcloths. I just get my kids used to them cold early on. they don't seem to mind too much.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page