Washing PUL covers - baking soda & vinegar OK? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas... I'm due very soon and trying to work out a plan of attack for our dirty dipes. I've read some contradictory info on PUL covers - that you can just toss them in with your regular dipe load even if you are using baking soda and/or vinegar in a pre-soak or rinse, and also that you shouldn't use them, as they can damage the dipes' repellent properties. So which is it? I have mainly Thirsties, and a couple Happy Heinys and FuzziBuns.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

crunchy mama to DD born 10/15/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 05:22 PM

I ended up using vinegar in every wash with my diapers (mostly prefolds and covers) due to hard water -- that was what eventually worked to keep the smells away. I wouldn't start with vinegar though, wait until you (hopefully don't) find you need to do something else. Start simple -- rinse, wash, rinse, dry -- and only mess with that if necessary. I have never used baking soda in a wash for diapers but I imagine it would depend on your particular water situation. And doing baking soda AND vinegar at the same time is just a waste of money - you mix them and they make water and salt. If you're doing that, pick one or the other, or one after the other, not both at the same time.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM

I've heard that you should avoid vinegar for PUL dipes or dipes with elastic, as it can wear them down. I'm not sure about baking soda though.

User Tag List