Which diaper ointments/salves are safe to use on cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-13-2004, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now I use Desitin (Original) because it works so well on my DS (and I admit it- I like the smell!). But I don't want to ruin my diapers so I always put a fleece liner down first.

Are there any ointments/creams/salves that are safe to use directly on the diaper? Or should I use a liner regardless of what product I am using?
#2 of 9 Old 02-13-2004, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and what are the benefits of the "natural" diaper creams vs. Desitin/Balmex, etc.?
#3 of 9 Old 02-14-2004, 12:10 AM

Bumping this thread, 'cause I want to know, too!

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#4 of 9 Old 02-14-2004, 12:18 AM

Also curious to hear what everyone else says because I've done the same with Desitin and a fleece liner.

But I've never had any problems with Beaudreaux's Butt Paste ruining a CD, it's like clay (LOL) and washed right out.
#5 of 9 Old 02-14-2004, 12:19 AM

I have always had great success with Weleda, Balmex, and my fave-Burt's Bees. I use fb's pretty much exclusively and have had no buildup issues on my fleece as well.

Not sure on all the benefits, I just know that natural is better and safer for baby. Like all of Burt's bees products are edible, though you I don't recommend snacking on them, but they are not harmful if ingested. I have a curious little guy who likes to "taste" anything it seems like and so I have no worries with having the burts bees around.

I am sure someone on this board could give you a better answer. I too would like to hear the answer as well.
#6 of 9 Old 02-14-2004, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

:bump

Anyone else have any info for us?
#7 of 9 Old 02-14-2004, 11:49 AM

I've had the best luck with Balmex. My newborn had a urine irritation rash and the ped suggested Balmex. It has beexwax and jojoba in it so it's not all bad even if it's not "natural" like some of the other ones are. When she starts to get a rash again 1-2 treatments of Balmex clears it right up, and doesn't seem to affect the performance or smell of the diapers.

With my oldest dd I used Aveeno with some degree of success, and Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema cream when I wanted to get away from zinc oxide. I had no luck with Burt's Bees with the newborn rash, although it sure does smell good!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 9 Old 02-14-2004, 11:52 AM

I've heard that anything WITHOUT cod liver oil in it is okay. Desitin has cod liver oil, but Desitin Creamy doesn't. I use Desitin Creamy, Aquaphor, and Balmex without CD problems. Cod liver oil will get into your diapers and make them smell fishy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've read multiple times. HTH!
#9 of 9 Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 AM

Im trying some WAHM diaper cream now so I'll see how that goes, but Ive had Burts bees stain a few diapers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page