Homemade Laundry Det. vs Charlie's Soap?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-31-2009, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I currently use Charlie's Soap with my cd and really like it. However, I am VERY interested in trying to make my own detergent. I wanted to be able to have easy access to what I need (instead of going to a specialty store just for detergent) and save $. Since I have had virtually no cd washing issues, I'm concerned that switching might mess up a good thing.

Any suggestions? Anyone else out there using homemade laundry det. for cd?

PS (I know not to use recipes with soap bars. Anyone have a recipe they use and like as much as Charlie's?)
#2 of 9 Old 10-31-2009, 04:14 AM

I'm subbing because I would be really interested to know this as well just out of curiosity more than anything.

I use Country Save with no problems now, but it took me almost 2 years to get to the point of no stinkies, no build up issues,not having to constantly strip my diapes once a month etc after trying so many different kinds of detergent with our semi hard water.

How much is Charlie's detergent again? I'd say if it is working really good so far don't change. Getting build up issues etc that cause stink is a huge PITA.

Just my two cents.

Happy Hippie Homeschoolin' AP Mama to DD8, DS6 and DS3 born via UC into his daddy's arms!
#3 of 9 Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM

Ive made my share of homeade det. They cause buildup ime. We use CS as well & love it! If you order over $28 you get free shipping so thats what we do. Id stick w/what works we tried TONS of stuff b4 finding CS

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 9 Old 10-31-2009, 03:53 PM

I'll be using my own detergent on my dipes. Most of my diapers are natural fibers, so that accounts for one thing. Second, I am using grated bar castile soap, not the fels naptha or ivory that is in a lot of homemade detergent recipes (those two can cause buildup, so I've heard).

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#5 of 9 Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 AM

I have made homeade soap out of fels naptha & it left the worst residue I have also used castle it left reidue as well although not as bad we use indian cotton pf but have very hard h2o which could be part of our problem.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 9 Old 11-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
I am using grated bar castile soap, not the fels naptha or ivory that is in a lot of homemade detergent recipes (those two can cause buildup, so I've heard).
I can't speak for use on CDs yet, but I've been washing my regular laundry in my homemade detergent (2:1:1 grated castille bar: borax: washing soda) and it's already made a HUGE difference in the softness of my laundry.

Honestly though, I will say that making it myself is a bit of a PITA (to grate the bar or maybe I'm just wimpy), so I'm considering just ordering CS and doing super saver w/ free shipping...

OP, I agree with the others- if it ain't broke...

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

I agree.......seriously hesitant to switch from CS. The only thing that really makes me want to look into it further is the 12 cents per load (if you buy the 5 gal bucket) vs 3 cents per load making it yourself (with the laundry soap bar, washing soda and borax).

Those of you who use castile bar soap. Where do you get it? I would like to read more about it.
#8 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM

I get my castille bar soap at my local hfs co-op. It is $3, rather than the $1 that fels naptha is at my local grocery, but the more natural ingredients are worth it to me. I use a bit less of the castille than I did with the fels naptha, and that helps offset the slightly higher cost (and keep buildup at a minimum).

Making it doesn't bother me so much. I did start out making the gel version, and that was a pita just because it was so time consuming and a bit messy. The powder version takes me very little time at all, and I make it it big batches, stored in a mason jar, so I don't have to mess around with it very often at all. It lasts a very long time, and I can totally tell that I'm saving money in comparison to buying commercial detergents.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#9 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetphoto View Post
Those of you who use castile bar soap. Where do you get it? I would like to read more about it.
I used Kirk's last time. http://www.kirksnatural.com/barsoap.html

I got it at a local grocery store for $1.60/bar.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page