Mothering Forum banner

So what are the new "it" cloth diapers these days?

3K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  Erinjvrn 
#1 ·
I haven't used cloth diapers for years now. My youngest is 5 already. I used to buy and sell and collect the different styles and colors of pretty cloth.

So now I'm expecting another bouncing baby and want to know what I should be looking out for. I stopped cloth diapering right before the bamboo diapers started.. they seem so soft! where can I find them for a good deal?

thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a couple of bamboo all in one diapers and I love, love, love them!!! I've been using them for 3 months now with no issues. They were a little spendy, so I only got like 4 for the diaper bag (and they were on sale when I ordered them) and we do prefolds at home. They are called 'Bamboo baby' and I got them here:http://www.globalenfant.com/bamboo-a...by_products_ge

#6 ·
Flip is a new really popular diaper. I heard the organic ones are better because in the stay dry ones the insert slides around.

We use gro baby, so no worries about the insert sliding around. They work really well for us, I just hate applix. I sent the shells in for a snap conversion. But, if you order them you can just state under the additional info about order that you want snaps and they'll convert for free.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
prefolds and wool? not the flashy answer you were looking for but it works the best for us!
That's what I used for DD2. But when she was really little we used kissaluvs and muttaqins. I am thinking I'd like to use birdseye flats instead of prefolds.. hmm..

#11 ·
I'm still a fan of prefolds and wool covers, or simple PUL covers!

We've tried Fuzzibunz, BumGenius, Happy Heinies, Swaddle Bees, and some other AIO's and pockets. They all leaked, were hard to wash (got build up so easy...), and I hated stuffing them. Prefolds, on the other hand, extremely simple all around!

We also love a few fitted diapers--Kissaluv's worked great for my DD in newborn and small sizes. My very favorite fitteds are Sandy's. They are the best EVER for fitted diaper! The smalls fit a huge size range...something like 8-22 pounds I think and they are super absorbent. (The Motherease PUL covers made by the same place are amazing also!)

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Totally! Tried and true!
Okay, I am so drawn to prefolds and wool as a concept, but I have two worries. The first is, don't you have to change them all the time? I like the wicking action of pockets. And also, what covers can keep the wool off baby's skin? I have a wool allergy, plus it is just scratchy, no? Longies are definitely out for us. Last time I tried Nikkis briefly, but I was never in love.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
Okay, I am so drawn to prefolds and wool as a concept, but I have two worries. The first is, don't you have to change them all the time? I like the wicking action of pockets. And also, what covers can keep the wool off baby's skin? I have a wool allergy, plus it is just scratchy, no? Longies are definitely out for us. Last time I tried Nikkis briefly, but I was never in love.
You do have to change them all the time, though at night I stuff a PF to the max and usually go the whole night without a change. It just depends on what you feel comfortable with- I tend to prefer to change the dipe right away, but others are comfortable in letting it stay soiled longer. Re the allergy/scratchiness, this is from GMD website:

Quote:
"...but I'm allergic to wool." Chances are, you are NOT allergic to wool! You are probably allergic to the chemicals that commercial wools, such as sweaters, hats, skirts and scarves are processed in. It is quite rare for anyone to be allergic to diaper wool such as Disana or Lana wools. They are pure. Really! I, too, thought I was allergic to wool for years. I couldn't stand a wool skirt or sweater. I still can't stand them! But I could sleep with Disana or Lana wool as a pillowcase if there were such a thing made. Oh, if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone tell me they are allergic to wool. Betch'ya, you are not allergic to diaper wool. I can't promise it, because there are rare people who are truly allergic, but most, I bet, are like me - not allergic to pure, natural, untreated diaper wools. A polyester fleece or suedecloth allergy appears to be far more common than a wool allergy. "...but isn't it itchy?" No! It's not. It's soft, breathable and comfortable. I have a file full of love letter emails from wool-converts, from those brave enough to try it.
http://greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm#doubleknit

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Goodmama..........$40 for ONE diaper?

yup pretty crazy, but they are a one size diaper that will fit a small, med & large so you figure that's $13 a size.

I have a couple that I got when they had a 50% off sale & they are the serged ones that are usually around $30 each. I really like them & they are super soft. Though I can't see paying $40 for 1.

#20 ·
Quote:

Goodmama..........$40 for ONE diaper?

I have one (I didn't buy it, it was a gift) and it soooo isn't worth the money IMO. I almost never use it because it leaves such horrible red snap marks and dd2 fusses when it is on.

My favorite fiittes are the T&T Mutts, but I can't seem to find them anymore. I tried the Mutt 3sr and hated it.

I mostly stick to prefolds and wool.

#21 ·
Quote:

I thought bamboo acted like a synthetic on the skin and that it wasn't good for diapering.
)
Nope, bamboo is great for diapers! For one, it is very very soft. I prefer bamboo fleece over OBV, but I am WAY in the minority there! Bamboo is also naturally antibacterial, like hemp, but it dries quicker and is much softer than hemp. Does not absorb as much as hemp, tho, but neither does cotton, so not much difference.

We use a lot of flats and wool right now. For the new baby, I have some felted-down Aristocrats and am going to buy a dozen of the new Bum Genius bamboo fitteds to go under them. The reviews say they are insanely soft & the inner core is microfiber, so I know it will absorb well (supposedly more than Kissaluvs).

I, too, originally thought Good Mamas were insanely overpriced, but considering that they are one-size, it's like $10-$15 per size, & you often pay more than that per diaper in the different sizes. We do not own any, though.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What's so special about these brands? Apart from that they charge more so they must be cooler

the diapers on hyenacart usually cost more than other more commercial diapers because they are made by moms like us who sew them at home to help support their families. & with some of them when you look at the cost of materials they are really not making much on each diaper.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbamummy View Post
BumGenius organic fitted bamboo dipes are on sale at Cottonbabies.com for $7.77 free delivery. They are discontinuing the range apparently. Just a little FYI

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!!
I have close to just enough saved up to get my 12-pack already, YAY! I have seriously been planning on buying these since before I got pg & I would be CRYING if they were all gone!!!!!!!!!! This is such a good deal, $60 off!!

FTR, where did you hear that they are being discontinued?

#26 ·
Poo, I can only find sale BG bamboo fitteds in med-xsmall. I guess the Larges all sold everywhere?

I was tempted to get a goodmama once (because of the hype of course) but then I have heard extremely mixed reviews on diaperswappers and the pin. I have also heard they are too bulky for newborns.

I use mostly prefolds and merino wool covers (sooo soft!) and some pul covers. I have motherease sandys for night time (they work super well) and I add a bamboo doubler and a fleece liner. I also have some pockets, and after going through a crazy pocket buying spree, the ones I have kept are Bum Genius 3.0s, Swaddlebees outlet snap pockets, and some minky Kawaii Babys.
At this point I usually just trifold a prefold in the covers because DS is now trying solids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.