Mothering Forum banner

OT: Public Restrooms -GRRR!

670 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  partyof5 
#1 ·
My 3-year-old dd is fully toilet trained. The first few times we went out, she had no problem using a public restroom. Then, on a trip to Chicago, we visited the aquarium and an automatic flush toilet "attacked her". After that she refused to use a public toilet, even if it wasn't automatic flush, unless it looked like a home toilet.
Yesterday, we went to the mall. We hadn't had to use a public toilet in a while, but of course this time we had to go. The mall had a beautiful family restroom, complete with a mini sink and a mini automatic flush toilet. Well, dd saw it flush on its own and that was the end of that. I had to pull out an old sposie from my diaper bag (didn't want to use ds' only spare fuzzi bunz on this), put it on her, she peed, and then threw out the diaper.
GRRRRR! what idiot invented these toilets that traumatize children!!!

#6 ·
ds is scared of public toilets in general and we are even far from toilet training...i changed him in there a few times (usually i do that in my all-the-way-reclining stroller when we're out, cuz i hate those nasty changing tables, but that time i was w/o stroller). anyway, he just hates the whole atmosphere, the echo and the constant flushing and he starts whimpering now when we enter apublic restroom.
gonna be fun, potty training this one, i'll probably stay at home with him until he can hold it long enough to make it home, lol.

#7 ·
Oh those things are horrid.
DS is still scared to use the bathroom at the docs office building cause it was an auto flush and it kept flushing repeatedly, so as I am trying to pull his undies and jeans up he is screaming and it was a mess. Plus they spit water at you some times. YUCK!!!
By the time we got out of the stall people were staring at us. How embarrasing.
We try to avoid them at all costs.

#9 ·
My 5 year old freaked out when one went off on her in a restaurant bathroom. She refused to sit on it and would'nt let go of me. I told her to keep the door open and I would stand right beside her. That was last Friday night, and ever since every toilet we go into she won't close the door and is very aprehensive about using it at all. Even if it's a regular flush toilet.

#11 ·
boy, I guess we're in teh minority. I love them and my kids love them.....we get a kick out of them and think they are cool. It has flushed a few times on my 3 year old, but when that happens I just smile at him and make a little joke about it and he is okay. I like them because we don't have to touch a gross flushing lever (we wash our hands anyway after using the toilet...but the thought of touching the lever grosses me out...I actually usually use my foot.....I guess we all have issues with something!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.