Is this totally unrealistic...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

As the sig shows, i'm PG with #2 right now and thinking about diapering (actually, nappying, i'm in the UK ).

I already have bambino mio prefolds in newborn and small, which fit DD until about 4 months. I never used the next size up as XP and i split and though i could scrape together enough £ for disposables, i never had the money to buy more clothies, even 2nd hand, and i was very sick with a thyroid problem and trying to get to grips with being a single mama and it just didn't feel too important.

Well this time things are very different and i'm looking for options for #2. I found the bambino mio's fine. They weren't AMAZING, but i did borrow and try a few other brands and NOTHING kept DD's poop in the nappy (she typically went 4 days without going and then exploded when she was EBF), but the wraps were ok, kept the majority of the mess off her clothes, and i guess i didn't mind having to carry a spare onesie and romper around with me anyway.

So my plan this time is to use the one's i have until they don't fit anymore, and then move to flats with motherease or similar wraps. I few friends i have who CD say that i'll HATE flats and find them so annoying i'll just quit. But i DID have a few flats for DD when she was bigger (if i ran out of disposables i'd stick a flat on her overnight for instance) plus my mother used them (she was a childminder so i saw her change plenty of them and was able to fold them when i was 4). I know about 5 or 6 different folds, and plan to use the little prefolds as boosters if need be. For me it's more important that the wraps perform well than what is inside them is stylish/"modern" - right?

So my reasons for going with flats are:
1. they're cheap
2. they're versatile and i'm already good at folding them
3. they wash and DRY easy
4. they have a million uses beyond butt-covering (the shoulder and waist straps of my homemade meitai are lined with old flats to prevent bunching/chafing and it is soooo comfy)
5. they can be stripped/bleached/dyed without trouble if need be (some of the modern all-in-one's seem to have very limited washing instructions to me!).
6. because they're inexpensive i can buy a bunch of them - i am NOT the housewife who wins awards, and i need to have a system which doesn't rely on me never having more than 3 items in the dirty laundry basket before i put another load on - if i can buy 24 or even more flats it takes the pressure off somewhat WRT washing them the second they come off the wee bum.

I also think i will knot some wool longies to go over the bambino's to try to prevent the explosions if this babe turns out to be a seldom-but-serious pooper in the early months (i have a bunch of wraps, washing them regularly is no problem, it's more if i'm out and poop has exploded down both legs and up their back). Am i being utterly unrealistic? I will use nappinippa's to close the flats. I'm totally open to using fleece liners or similar if need be, i just am not able to buy into the idea that i really need to spend £££ on what is essentially for peeing and pooping on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM

consider fitted nappies. They are shaped, and have elastic around the leg to hold in the poo. I got a pretty good deal on some Imse Vimse contours. I love them, and added snaps myself to make them easier to put on. You could just use a wrap to hold them on. They are definately more expensive than flats, but never having used flats myself, I can't give you any advice about them.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I don't think it is unrealistic at all - you already know how to use flats, and that is the main reason why most people avoid them (being intimidated.) They are cheap and easy to clean and versatile, so why not?

Congratulations! (And your accent is charming, even on the computer screen!)

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM

I think if you like flats, then go for it, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. And if you have a little extra money I'd maybe get a few fitted diapers - you mentioned MotherEase, do you have their one-size diaper available there? Once you're out of the small sizes it should fit very well and if it lasts you for a while it won't be that expensive. Just a thought in case you'd like something more convenient for outings and such.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM

not unrealistic at all! Flats are great b/c you can fold them different ways. If you are having explosive poo that is running out of your covers, I would personally look into different covers. I was using Proraps at first and they were not holding in the poo. Switched to Thirsties and had no explosions. Yes, poo would get on the cover, but at least not on the clothes! Good luck!

Jenna Hoskinson, Certified Live Well Coach, Meal Planner, and Mother
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Generations of babies were diapered in flats only and surived I love LOVE flats I love having other types as well and DH would shoot me if I went to only flats (MEN!)but they are totally doable.
FWIW my SIL diapered all 5 of her kids basically just using this system and package..
http://www.integritydiapercompany.co...roducts_id=118 she did start using sposies jsut for night after a certain age but even so saved a ton by using such a simple system.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 PM

-

User Tag List