I'm looking for a new washing machine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-20-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.. and since we're about to start cloth diapering when our babe arrives, I'd like to make sure I'm getting one that is conducive to doing diapers. I definitely want a front-loader, most of which don't have a soak cycle. How necessary is the soak? I thought I'd heard that you can't pre-soak diapers in a bucket and then put them into a front-loader (maybe the extra weight is an issue?) So this would mean that the soak wouldn't be possible either in or out of the wash. Is that a problem?

Would a diaper sprayer change things? Does a sprayer make the soaking step unnecessary?

Are there any other features in a washer that I may want to look for? Has anyone else recently purchased a front-loader that they love?

Any advice from experienced diaper-ers would be much appreciated here!

Thanks so much.

My husband and I are trying to conceive again, while missing our beautiful daughter who was stillborn Jan. 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-20-2009, 03:58 PM

I've never pre-soaked or used a soak feature on the washing machine when washing diapers. We have a diaper sprayer, but didn't start using it until DS started eating solids. I have only used a front loader with my diapers and have never had any problems.

joy.giflurk.gif

#3 of 10 Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM

You don't really need a soak cycle, just a simple rinse is more than enough. I've used my SIL's Whirlpool front loader for dipers many times, and I really liked it. I personally would look for a washer that I could do my normal wash routine-cold rinse, hot wash, rinse, extra rinse-without needing to go back to it to add cycles.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#4 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 AM

Never soaked a diaper. We lightly spray poopy ones in the toilet. We have an LG 2301, and I love it. It's awesome for diapers. No stains, no odors. We set it to do a pre-wash (cold), then a long sanitary cycle (hot with the "stain cycle" and "heavy soil level" options), followed by an extra rinse. That's it.

I love having the tub cleanse setting. We run it every couple of weeks to take care of any detergent build-up left in the washer. I also love the super high spin speed (1200 rpm). Our diapers are near dry when they come out! Covers air dry for 20 minutes while the cottons dry in the dryer for 20 minutes or less. We have a super cheap dryer, since we barely have to use it anymore.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#5 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM

We also rinse and don't soak. I run one cycle of cold water rinse, then another with hot water wash (with soap) and an extra rinse.
#6 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 04:47 PM

mama2soren - you've given me washer envy. My little top loading whirlpool does the job but all those bells and whistles make me think I need a new washer. lol

welcomed my boy/girl twins on 04/22/10 after cooking them for 40 weeks
#7 of 10 Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM

I got a fl when we bought our house then 2 yrs later sold it & bought the most basic tl because I was soo sick of fighting my diaper laundry. With the lack of H2o it took a full day of rinsing till there were no bubbles!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#8 of 10 Old 12-24-2009, 08:33 PM

The secret to using a front loader is to use almost no detergent (I mean like a 1/4 tsp). If you use anymore than a really teensy tiny amount, the soap doesn't wash out. My routine when I had an FL was cold with Planet detergent on Heavy, hot wash no detergent on normal, then two cold rinses. Then dry on low. I only started this routine after figuring out how to strip my diapers, sitting in front of the washer for several washes and realizing how even a tsp on detergent was WAY TOO MUCH for a FL to rinse out completely.

We've moved and now I have a TL and I'm back at square one trying to figure out how to wash them best!

+ = and .
#9 of 10 Old 12-24-2009, 11:52 PM

I have a Frigidaire front loader that is middle of the road as far as front loader options go. It has several cycles, but nothing fancy (or superheated). I do a cold short wash with no detergent, a hot heavy wash with a normal amount of detergent (like 3/4 of the way to line 1 on the cap), and an extra cold rinse. I don't use a diaper sprayer until the baby starts solids. I've never had a problem getting cotton diapers clean. Anything with polyester content does occasionally hold a stink, but washing more often (every 2 days) and sunning takes care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletjane View Post
.. and since we're about to start cloth diapering when our babe arrives, I'd like to make sure I'm getting one that is conducive to doing diapers. I definitely want a front-loader, most of which don't have a soak cycle. How necessary is the soak? I thought I'd heard that you can't pre-soak diapers in a bucket and then put them into a front-loader (maybe the extra weight is an issue?) So this would mean that the soak wouldn't be possible either in or out of the wash. Is that a problem?

Would a diaper sprayer change things? Does a sprayer make the soaking step unnecessary?

Are there any other features in a washer that I may want to look for? Has anyone else recently purchased a front-loader that they love?

Any advice from experienced diaper-ers would be much appreciated here!

Thanks so much.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#10 of 10 Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 AM

I purhcased a washer not too long ago.
I opted to not buy a front loader but a HE Top loader instead..........made by Fisher and Paykel.
Cost me half as much as a Front loader, works beautifully and the water conservation and savings have paid for the machine already in just over a year.

I love love my F & P set. It was totally worth my time and research.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page