Does anyone use the Disana diaper system (not just the covers)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really curious about the Disana tie on diapers. Honestly, it's kind of what I wanted all along-all natural, no snappis, no pins, nothing synthetic. I know the covers are fairly popular, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the actual diapers themselves?

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#2 of 21 Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM

we have 3 of the tie nappis & never really use them much. when we did use them they worked great. I would put a preme pf in for extra absorbancy. if I used them for DD now I'd probably use an infant pf. they are really cute, but I think the learning curve is a bit high to get them just right.

that said if you decide to just go w/ them they they will become normal to you & not any harder than any other diaper once you get in a diapering groove

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#3 of 21 Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM

They def have a steeper learning curve. And if your babe is a wiggler, it's even harder. I've only used ours a few times.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 21 Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM

In a word, fiddly. Too fiddly to be worth it because they don't absorb much. Prefolds might suit you though.
#5 of 21 Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM

I use them on my newborn because I only wanted organic cotton/wool on my baby too. It was a bit annoying the first couple days but by the 2nd week both my husband and I could change her diaper without sitting up in bed lol. I love them, they're just what I wanted just to warn you they are really bulky so newborn size pants wont fit over them.

delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFbfinfant.giftreehugger.gifhomeschool.gif
http://busylittlegreenfamily.blogspot.com/computergeek2.gif
#6 of 21 Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM

i really like the tie nappies for the most part, and want to love them but they do have 1 pretty negative factor. the downside is untying a pee-soaked bow. seriously, have you ever tried to untie a wet knot? not easy! add pee to that and it can be kinda icky. if it's really soaked (like overnight) the wet tie can fling pee. in your face. yuck. other than that, they're great.Sheepish.gif

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#7 of 21 Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM

I have 3 and really wanted to use them but I rarely do for the reasons other pp's mentioned.  They are very difficult if DD is squirming, they really don't absorb much and the wet tie is kind of gross.But, they are really cute and I love how they are so adjustable with no snaps or velcro. 

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#8 of 21 Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM

To PPs who mentioned wet ties how old are your babies and do you use a liner? I have a newborn so she doesn't pee that much  but she hardly ever soaks through the liner and during the day we don't even use the wool cover unless we're going out. I can't imagine her soak through the liner diaper and ties!

delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFbfinfant.giftreehugger.gifhomeschool.gif
#9 of 21 Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM

I use the disana tie-ons and love them. I don't have trouble with undoing a wet bow either. What I don't like is tangled up ties in the laundry! Really folks, these are great diapers if you really give them a try. Eventually you'll be so quick, no squirming baby can stop you.

ETA: I'm using terry cloth liners at the moment and they absorb soft EBM stools really well.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#10 of 21 Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Oh that's true they do tend to get all tangled up. But I found (with my washer & dryer anyway) that if you untangle them before you put them in the dryer it's a lot less work.

#11 of 21 Old 04-30-2011, 01:30 PM

Can anyone explain to me how to use them? I have some and am a bit lost. The diagram shows the sides as coming up and wrapping in front of baby and I cannot fathom how that is feasible with my diaper. It does not seem there is enough on the sides to do that. It is VERY long however...what do I do with all of the front to back extra fabric? 

TIA! love.gif

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#12 of 21 Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM

My baby LOVES these and though I don't use them for every diaper change, I do use them when he needs to feel extra cozy or to give him a break from pre-folds and yes....... the "green" (disposables) that I have come to use more often now that he is 6 months old. You need to fold down the back until you get the right fit and just pull the sides tight around the baby before pulling the front flap up. It is a good idea if your little one is older to use an insert which you will pull up first, then cover it with the sides, and finally do the wrap-around. This is quite finicky and though I am almost an expert at these, they rarely look exactly like the product image (Engel makes them too and have a couple from both brands). As you use them more the back stretches out to allow for longer sides. The main point is to get them secured around the legs and comfortably ties under little bellies to allow them to stay up without constricting if they are sitting up. Hope this helps!

#13 of 21 Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 PM

I used them on my 4th and found they weren't absorbant enough for us- shame since I invested so much money on the whole thing.

#14 of 21 Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

I use the disana tie-ons and love them. I don't have trouble with undoing a wet bow either. What I don't like is tangled up ties in the laundry! Really folks, these are great diapers if you really give them a try. Eventually you'll be so quick, no squirming baby can stop you.

ETA: I'm using terry cloth liners at the moment and they absorb soft EBM stools really well.

I take the two string together and put a knot in them. It looks something like this here, but tighter. That seemed to have solved the problem for me. Just don't make the knot too tight :D 

Mommy to two beautiful children & Cloth Diaper Trader co-founder.
#15 of 21 Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 PM

I've never had wet ties. I think it really depends on what insert you put in the diaper. I use bamboo fleece most of the time... a few layers of it.  

#16 of 21 Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post

I used them on my 4th and found they weren't absorbant enough for us- shame since I invested so much money on the whole thing.

Those diapers require an insert (see pictures here). Have you been using one?

#17 of 21 Old 05-30-2011, 02:45 PM

Yes I used the insert- I bought them from a net store no longer in business called KidNature- my 4th is 11 years old so it was that long ago. I had the silk liners too that you place over the insert. I just didn't care for thr system, I've always had heavy heavy wetters and my daughter did better with organic prefolds.

#18 of 21 Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 AM

With my dd I used to use a hangman's knot mischievous.gif to make sure they didn't get all tangled, but that was so much work getting them all undone when I pulled them out of the laundry. Those were severely waterlogged knots. Not sure how that knot of your keeps the strings from getting tangled with the strings of the other diapers, though. Maybe I just need to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessieO View Post

I take the two string together and put a knot in them. It looks something like this here, but tighter. That seemed to have solved the problem for me. Just don't make the knot too tight :D 

And my ds seems to be soaking these diapers a lot. I'm using an older popolini set as well as the disana - I use the liners from the popolini set in my disana dipes btw. At the moment, I'm using the popolinis a lot, but they just don't fit as well. I'm needing to find better liners. I found hemp liners on ebay, but they just don't seem that absorbent - I try doubling them with the terrycloth liners occasionally at night. Are bamboo liners really good??? Has anyone compared terry cloth with bamboo? Got a product rec???

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#19 of 21 Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM

I tie the knot approximately in the middle of the strings and I usually don't wash more than 3 of those at a time since I have a lot of other diapers (mostly fitteds made by me).  I assume you use the same type of machine (i.e. a front-loading one) as I do since I see that you live in Germany.

Bamboo is more absorbent than cotton, but it also depends on the type of bamboo fabric.  I would recommend trying bamboo fleece that weighs at least 16 ounces per yard.  Keep in mind that bamboo takes A LOT of washes before it becomes fully absorbent.  

I wonder if those hemp liners you mentioned were washed the minimum number of times to make them more absorbent.  Also, it is possible the fabric/liner just wasn't thick enough.      

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

With my dd I used to use a hangman's knot mischievous.gifto make sure they didn't get all tangled, but that was so much work getting them all undone when I pulled them out of the laundry. Those were severely waterlogged knots. Not sure how that knot of your keeps the strings from getting tangled with the strings of the other diapers, though. Maybe I just need to give it a try.

And my ds seems to be soaking these diapers a lot. I'm using an older popolini set as well as the disana - I use the liners from the popolini set in my disana dipes btw. At the moment, I'm using the popolinis a lot, but they just don't fit as well. I'm needing to find better liners. I found hemp liners on ebay, but they just don't seem that absorbent - I try doubling them with the terrycloth liners occasionally at night. Are bamboo liners really good??? Has anyone compared terry cloth with bamboo? Got a product rec???

#20 of 21 Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM

The liners came with a notice saying that they needed to be washed at least four times to gain full absorbency. So they've been washed enough, but part of the problem is that they are tiny! I'm thinking maybe they were meant or a pocket system. Guess I'll go google bamboo fleece then. And thank you for your input!

#21 of 21 Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 PM

I didn't love the ties and the diaper wasn't very absorbent. I think that pfs or flats would be the way to go for you, just fold and place in a cover.

Tags
Diaper Pails Sacks , Sassy Cloth Diapers , Kaleidoscope Diaper Stacker , Bumgenius Diaper Sprayer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page