Bum Genius for Sensitive Skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I've decided to get BG diapers for my 7mo. I used prefolds and Bummis covers on him, but he outgrew them at 6mo. We've been using sposies in the meantime. DH really hates cloth, so it's taken me a while to convince him to buy more. Here's my question: ds has really sensitive skin. I've had to avoid dairy to prevent him from having terrible eczema. His face gets rashy still if he gets overheated. The skin on his hips gets really red, dry, and cracked if we use cheap (Walmart brand) diapers on him. It's the area, on the back of the diaper, between the absorbent material and the tapes that he's reacting to. I switched to pampers and it's better, but not completely. I also use CA baby cream on it and that helps a lot too. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if BG diapers will be ok for him. I know anything's got to be better than what we're using now, but I don't want to sink a bunch of $ into these and then still have problems.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 01:10 PM

My DD has extremely sensitive skin and BG's didn't work well for us. Turns out she needs fleece up against her bottom, nothing else. But I know that there are other babes out there that can't tolerate fleece! I guess it really depends on what your child is sensitive to. I mean, my DD will get an instant rash from some "hypoallergenic" things. I think the only way to really know is to buy one and try it. I wouldn't buy a whole stash without trying them out first.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#3 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 06:18 PM

Agree w/PP - you should try one out. My kids have very sensitive skin, DS1 ended up reacting badly to FB and BG, but so far DS2 is ok with BG. Haven't tried FB on him yet.

Good luck!

Shop at Weedle Weedle for cloth diapers, nursing pillows, swaddle blankets and more!

Free Shipping on orders over $75!  Customer Rewards!  

#4 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 PM

My kids have sensitive skin and problems with eczema and we use mostly BGs. The fabric on them doesn't seem to bother my kids.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#5 of 6 Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been down with the flu for days. Actually took a shower today though!

Anyway, I do think I'll just order 1 and try it out. I hope they work. My DH is SO not into cloth, he's not going to love the idea of trying multiple kinds.

Thanks!
#6 of 6 Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM

We were not able to do fleece with three of my kids...all my dd's as a matter of fact. BG however, made my dd break out in horrible heat rashes.

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page