It's "solids" poop but not "solid." What do I do with it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I know that EBF baby poop dissolves easily in the washer, so no need to rinse/scrape diapers before washing. Now she's on solids, but the poop isn't anything like "solid" to the point that I could just knock it into the toilet before washing, IYKWIM.

So what do I do? I've been just throwing them in the wash as they are, but it seems pretty yucky to put that much poop in the washing machine. I don't really want to invest in a diaper sprayer, can I use the detachable shower head to rinse them before throwing them in the diaper pail? And then, where do I rinse them - into the shower drain? Into the toilet?

Help! I'm feeling like an idiot. (Don't tell my DH, he'll just say, "OK, looks like it's time for sposies!")

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#2 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 PM

If you don't want to get a minishower, just use the shower head & spray it into the toilet, then toss them in the pail or washer. I couldn't imagine putting that much poop in the washer either .

#3 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Honestly, you can do whatever you want with them. There are no hard rules imo. When I first started cd'ing 5 yo ago I rinsed in the tub on wash day. (I learned not to rinse right away because they molded if they were left sitting too long.) I was doing it mostly because I was using mil's machine, but once we got our own I pretty much quit. I don't ever rinse them now. My dd is 13mo and is still mostly on bm so there are nothing to shake out into the toilet. I really hope she is all on the potty by that time.

#4 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 02:29 PM

I posted a similar question a while back and someone suggested a "poop spatula". I keep a spatula specifically for poop in the bathroom and scrape as much poop off of the diaper as I can. That gets most of the poop off the diaper and I don't worry about the rest of the poop. I clean the spatula using toilet paper and wet wipe to get the sticky poop off the spatula and into the toilet. I then clean the spatula with hot water (any maybe lysol wipes). I haven't had any trouble with bad staining or anything.

There was one time when DH came out of the bathroom holding the spatula asking "Why is this in the bathroom?" He had a horrified look on his face when I told him it was the 'poop spatula'. LOL

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#5 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcastle View Post
I posted a similar question a while back and someone suggested a "poop spatula". I keep a spatula specifically for poop in the bathroom and scrape as much poop off of the diaper as I can. That gets most of the poop off the diaper and I don't worry about the rest of the poop. I clean the spatula using toilet paper and wet wipe to get the sticky poop off the spatula and into the toilet. I then clean the spatula with hot water (any maybe lysol wipes). I haven't had any trouble with bad staining or anything.

There was one time when DH came out of the bathroom holding the spatula asking "Why is this in the bathroom?" He had a horrified look on his face when I told him it was the 'poop spatula'. LOL
That's what we use and it works great! We call it the poop stick. I keep a bucket of water in the bathroom on a high shelf and keep the stick in there with the diapers after I've scraped the poo off.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Any plastic squirt bottle will work as a diaper sprayer.

My dd doesn't have solid poo either but the whole smear usually peels right off the diaper and into the toilet. (Another benefit of the dry-touch inners, lol.) If it doesn't peel off easily I encourage it into the toilet with a little jet from the squirt bottle.

I used to use a poop stick and some TP but eventually I found that system way too involved and just kind of disgusting. I prefer the squirt bottle.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#7 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM

I broke down and bought a diaper sprayer because I got sick of the dehydrated food pieces in my washing machine. Very pleased with the purchase. I bought a Sigma sprayer which isn't as pricey as the other models out there and still works quite well. I justify it because the cds save us a ton of money and we plan on at least one more baby.

If your hubby is a bit handy, there are do it yourself instructions out there.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#8 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 AM

You could use the shower sprayer and spray into a bucket. Then dump the bucket contents into the toilet. That's what I did with the solids poo diapers from ds2 so far. You kinda need 2 buckets though- 1 to spray into and dump into the toilet, and one for the sprayed off diapers (I found this out the hard way!).

If there are no pieces in it (you know what I'm talking about!), I just throw it in the washer. I never dumped or sprayed ds1's cd's. I did have pieces sometimes, but I just wiped it out with a washcloth.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#9 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM

We just dunk and rinse in the toilet. Fairly gross, but it works.
#10 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If your shower head will reach the toilet, spray it into the toilet. If not, the Diaper Sprayer is totally worth it. It does half of your laundry work for you and is not expensive when you look at how much it helps and that it lasts for years. I also use mine as a bidet sprayer, to clean under the rim of the toilet bowl, and to spray out potty chairs.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#11 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM

I don't use a diaper sprayer - I've always been a liner girl myself. I go back & forth between using fleece and flushable liners. Both work great!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#12 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 02:12 AM

what do you do for wipes? we always ahd disposable wipes so after wiping baby clean, I'd always do a big wipe of the diaper itself to remove excess poop before sending it to laundry.

Or, get some flushable liners : ) If I was doing it all over again, I'd totally get the sprayer or use liners.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#13 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM

We use washclothes as wipes, and at that poop stage would wipe off any poop bits into the toilet (after wiping his bum, obviously!).

mama/stepmama (07/08/08/97)
#14 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
yeah this. easiest, cheapest way, imo!

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#15 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 PM

We scrape into the toilet. He's 3 years old now, and still scraping mushy poop.......
#16 of 18 Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
We do too (and sometimes we use a flushable liner).

I have a technique to try and avoid getting poo on me. I hold the PF inside out with the poopy part at the fold (I hold both ends). Then I dunk dunk dunk and the poo kinda falls off. If it is really really stubborn I'll flush, holding the diaper under the stream of water. Once most is off I will gingerly fold it the other way with the (ex) poopy part folded inside. Then i (ugh) squeeze out the extra water with my bare hands so it doesn't drip, run it to the bedroom deposit it into the pail and wash my hands (and reflush the toilet)

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#17 of 18 Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
This is what we did too. DS is 21 months and barely ever has poos solid enough to just plop in the toilet.

But, we just bought a diaper sprayer because I am getting sick of the dunking and it is awesome!

Mama to three

#18 of 18 Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 AM

My husband uses the handheld showerhead. I can't hold a diaper and the showerhead over the toilet while reaching to turn the shower on, he can. He didn't want to invest in a sprayer *or* a bucket, so it's his job.

We expect certain poops, so we use flushable liners at those times. Otherwise, the dipes get sprayed.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page