Diaper wipe solution for sensitive skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2004, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has excema (can NEVER spell that right! LOL) and she tends to get it down on her privates and then ultimately with the "breaks" in the skin, she'll get a yeast rash. Soooooooooooo, I never use anything but warm water/cloth wipes becuz the chemicals are too drying and harsh. Even with baths, I have to be so careful and wash her hair as the very last step and get her out so the shampoo does not dry out her skin.

I use a thick Aquaphor blend (my own butt paste) to create a barrier........but I was wondering if any of you moms have kiddos with sensitive skin but are able to use certain oils/washes in your wipe solution that does not aggravate their skin.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 09:53 AM

My kids have sensitive skin down there, and they will get rashes from fleece, or even cotton blends that are too synthetic, and from disposables.
In the past I've done a mixture with a little oil in it (I tried the Burt's Bees Apricot Oil, as well as hemp oil) and a drop of lavender oil. I didn't want to just omit any soap or EO, because I wanted them to be really clean, esp for poopy changes.
The lavender oil is really soothing, IMO. Just as long as it's 1 drop for a whole mixture.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:19 AM

Plain water is all that should be used on a girl with eczema. Water will get it clean enough.

A girl prone to eczema and skin problems (anywhere on the body, but especially the privates) is unfortunately a prime target to eventually develop Vulvodynia -- a condition marked by pain and inflammation of the vulva. Often, soaps and chemicals are a contributing factor to getting the condition.

http://www.vulvodynia.com/
Old 02-25-2004, 11:36 AM

Oh duh!! I didn't realize she had a girl. Sorry! I should have read it more thoroughly
I have 2 boys in diapers so it doesn't affect them the same way!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM

Emily has eczema too... and gets it down there too. She gets it everywhere.

I have to wash her diapers in sport wash followed by a hot rinse, and her clothing too.

What I do for a wipe solution for her is just add about a tablespoon of liquid glycerine to a quart of water. I shake it up and that's it..... glycerine is safe and gentle. This is what I wash her with too, just clear vegetable glycerine.

I get it at a soap supply. It is the most mild and gentle thing you can use. I also filter the water when I can, so it doesn't have too much chlorine and other icky stuff in it.

I have found that keeping her skin moisturized helps greatly in reducing the incidence of breakouts. I was using california baby, but she started reacting to that. The doctor gave her a prescription cream for when she has a bad breakout, but we can't use that all the time.

What I'm using now is the Northern essence cream. Hopefully she will not develop a sensitivity to it. The pediatrition also told me to try eucerine cream, but I haven't gotten it yet. I prefer natural stuff if I can.

Anyway..... I'm rambling now..... I've used the burts on her butt cheeks, but never in the yoni area. I'm not sure if it would irritate her. As a general rule, I always try something on me before I try it on her. That's why I will never use disposible wipes! YOUCH!

Teri - nak
Old 02-25-2004, 03:36 PM

I get eczema under my eyes, and I used Aquaphor for awhile, then switched to a product called Un-petroleum multi-purpose jelly. It works really well.

DD is also prone to dry skin on her chin and jawline, so I slather this stuff on her twice a day, and it works wonderfully to keep her skin moist.

Ingredients are: Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Castorwax, Soybean Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate and Tocopherol (Vitamin E).

http://www.ediblenature.com/unpetrol...5-oz--upp.html

User Tag List