Can bulky diapers affect hip development? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I finally started using cloth diapers (prefolds) on my 3-week-old son. Obviously they are a little bulkier than the disposables, which is fine, but I am worried that it restricts the movement in his hips. For example, I can't sit him on my lap as well anymore (he doesn't bend in the middle) and he screamed when I put him in the heart-2-heart infant insert of the Ergo (actually, this isn't unusual for him, but I think this time it was) because he couldn't bend his legs and they were poking into my belly and it was uncomfortable for both of us. So now I am wondering if the restricted motion, especially when we try to bend around it) is going to hurt his hip development. I have never heard anything to make me suspect this about cloth diapers before, but now I am wondering. Any thoughts?

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#2 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never had an issue here. in fact youngest, who has been in cloth since 4 days old, walked at 9 months.

You could look for less bulky diapers. What size prefolds are you using on the baby right now?And the not bending in the middle is weird, I never had that issue except with night-time diapers.
#3 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The size is for 8-15 lbs. But just now I tried the tri-fold within the diaper cover rather than putting the prefold on first with a snappi, and I find his range of motion is a lot less restricted now, so perhaps that's what we need to do for now.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#4 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 11:55 AM

You know, I have never heard of that. I guess anything is possible but I have never heard of that situation and I think, at this point, I have heard of pretty much every situation in terms of cloth diapers. I am glad you found a remedy that is working for you. Please post back if you gather any more information on this issue.

WAHM to three, all natural, organic and sports-obsessed boys:. MDC7 for 7% off at www.cottontailbaby.com or www.mamaclothonline.com for all your cloth diapering and natural family living needs:
#5 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM

When I was using diapers that were too big for my babe, she would have trouble bending and moving around too.

I really don't think that cloth impedes hip development...I mean, our grandparents and parents were raised in cloth and most of them turned out fine, right? But....around 5-6 months, my daughter's hips popped (audible sound) alot when she was crawling and as she went from a crawling to sitting position. She's 8 months now, and I hardly ever notice her hips popping. I don't know if that's normal development or not, she's my first, and I never thought to bring the issue up to her ped.
#6 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
No, it is actually beneficial. Babies legs should be up and spread like a froggy for good hip development, and so cloth diapers won't hurt that.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#7 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds had a potential hip problem when he was born (he had a click that self-corrected by 3 months). The cloth diapers were actually recommended to help his hip development.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 AM

Take it FWIW, but I have heard it from physical therapists that when a baby is learning to walk any extra bulk could contribute to problems with hip development.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#9 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
No, it is actually beneficial. Babies legs should be up and spread like a froggy for good hip development, and so cloth diapers won't hurt that.
This first off cloth diapering has been around much longer than sposies even the first sposeis were quite bulky yet we dont have generations of people walking around with issues... Also the above is true its often reccomended it double or even triple diaper babies born with hip displacment to help keep there legs in that froggie position to allow for proper development.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#10 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post
I For example, I can't sit him on my lap as well anymore (he doesn't bend in the middle)
By this, do you mean that the diaper pushes into his belly? That happened with my ds, which is why I ended up getting a lot of diapers with elastic in the belly. Seems more comfy to me. I also found that Swaddlebees/blueberry diapers don't seem to cut into his belly much.
Tbh, I think sposies do this just as much as any cd.

He is able to bend his hips more when he's not wearing a diaper, but I don't see much of a difference between sposies and cd's.

The only difference I really see is the bulk between the legs (and bulk in the butt, but I can't see that affecting development), but if you are picky enough about what you buy, and willing to change more often, you can find diapers that aren't too bulky between the legs.

eta- I would definitely stop (and have stopped) using any cd that I thought was uncomfy for ds. I'm uber obsessive about comfort for my kids. (I'm highly sensitive to clothes, etc).

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#11 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post
Take it FWIW, but I have heard it from physical therapists that when a baby is learning to walk any extra bulk could contribute to problems with hip development.
I think these are often the same that believed for years a child walked flat footed and had week ankles so generations of parents put there infants in had soled high top shoes to teach them how to walk. We now know that just not true..
I had a very early walker she took her first steps at 7 months and was fully running climbing ect by the time she turned 8 months.. She di it fully in cloth she had that classic bowed legged walk and with some of her cloth diaper set up it seemed to be because of that but it wasn't she walked that way in cloth in sposies or naked the same study that finaially disproved the week ankles flat foot theory accepted for so long also found that early walked pretty much ALL do the bowlegged things because its a natural way to balance its jsut the kid compensating. When shes got old enough that stopped regardless of her diaper.

Deanna
DrKellyM likes this.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#12 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 AM

I have not looked into the reputability of this claim, but I have read it many times.

Quote:
The premier British medical journal The Lancet has reported that hip problems have increased over the last 20 years with the widespread use of disposable diapers, because they don't provide enough support for correct hip development for crawling and walking. Cotton (cloth) diapers give more support holding a newborn's legs in the optimum position for good/correct hip development.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#13 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I have not looked into the reputability of this claim, but I have read it many times.
I'm skeptical of both ideas actually. As a species, we didn't start out in diapers. Apes' hips are very similar to ours, and their babies are fine without diapers at all. And yes, generations of humans walked just fine with cloth diapers. I would really be interested to learn more if anyone's got it!
But the OP had a strange problem with her diapers, which she fixed by improving the way they fit.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#14 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM

I noticed my daughter being "stiffer" in cloth diapers when she was an infant....when she was wearing a PUL cover, which is why we switched to mostly wool. Now that she's older (2), I haven't noticed that from cloth in a very long time, regardless of the diaper or cover used. I think that where the diaper hits them in the rise has much more to do with their range of motion and such, than the actual bulkiness of the diaper.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#15 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM

I know that DH had some hip issues (hip click maybe?) as a baby and my MIL has told me several times about how she had to double-diaper him. She used sposies so I guess the extra bulk of two diapers was desired in that case. Myself and 3 of my siblings were cloth diapered and no issues with walking or hip problems, but that's a small sample so it doesn't mean anything.

I'm having a hard time picturing where the bulk is, but you can try different folds to try and reduce it. I've heard the bikini twist is good for getting the dipe slimmer between the legs for example.
#16 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I'm skeptical of both ideas actually. As a species, we didn't start out in diapers. Apes' hips are very similar to ours, and their babies are fine without diapers at all. And yes, generations of humans walked just fine with cloth diapers.
I totally agree that NO diapers have been around way longer than either cloth or sposies, it seems REALLY doubtful that babies' hips need a cloth diaper for proper development!!

(Apes' hips are quite different from human hips though - one of the major differences between the ape and human skeleton is the rotated pelvis required to support upright locomotion.)

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#17 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Interesting. I've been told by the PT my DD (19 mo) sees for "low muscle tone" (did not walk until 18 mo) that the prefold with cover combo that we use is causing too much hip movement (kind of a twisting side to side when she walks). I DO see a difference when she is in paper diapers or in no diaper, so I've had her in paper for the last two weeks out of concern of doing "damage" if she's in the cloth. Anyone heard this before? Would really like to be back in cloth ... Maybe a much less bulk cloth (not a prefold)? Any recs there? Thanks.

#18 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Have you tried doing a bikini twist fold with your prefolds?

#19 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Oh of course, Ola_! Geez, I'm so stuck in my Angle Wing and Short Fold style folding, I totally forgot about the Bikini style. Will give it a try! Thanks!

#20 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Aww, cloth is so bulky on the little ones, I have no idea if it could affect development though..

#21 of 22 Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM

I had the same problem with my ds who was a chunky little guy. But have found that not using a snappy at that age was much easier and helped the problem.

I LOVED the bikini twist on him once he went up to the regular or premium size. I got a much comfier fit on him.

Also you may have to look at the clothes they are wearing. There are a lot of baby clothes these days that are slim fitting and don't fit well around cloth diapers. A lot of pants (usually cords or jeans would cut my ds at the thighs and he couldn't sit down. Probably not a big issue at 3 weeks since most of their clothes are roomy and soft but something to think about as they get bigger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post

Have you tried doing a bikini twist fold with your prefolds?

#22 of 22 Old 02-26-2011, 07:13 PM

My DD had (well, still kinda has) a small problem with hip dysplasia. For many months after she was born I would "replace" her hip if needed after each diaper change (she would kick her hip out of place once free of the diaper). Now it still clicks but doesn't need to be replaced anymore. After much research and consults with appropriate people, I realized that the thicker the diaper - the better. In fact,  I was told by a few professionals that my particular diapers (AppleCheeks) should be doubled up as they might be too thin... I was also convinced that wearing her in appropriate (non-crotch danglers) carriers keeps the hips in a physiological postion, thus preventing the worsening of the condition. 

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page