Transitioning from Disposables. Overwhelmed. PLEASE help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! The gist: Second son is 8.5 months old, and we're ready to do cloth now. First son had disposables, but with EC, he potty-trained at 2. He's now in Pull-Ups at night. (I'd also like a cloth solution for those, please. Have looked at Loveybums training pants.) Thoughts?

Anyhoo, back on target. Ready to put 8.5 month son in cloth. He weighs 16.5 lbs, which tends to be size Medium.

Preferences:
NATURAL fibers (prefer no fleece, synthetics, etc.)
Snaps
No pockets (and I do NOT even remember why, but I did have a reason...

I prefer to do (I think) a fitted dipe (not a prefold, though, for starters) with a variety of wraps. Maybe Growing Greens? Are there other good ones? For covers, I think I'm leaning towards wool, I think, and Loveybums look nice. Though synthetic, I figured to try out a few Bummis wraps for versatility, and I'd been looking at the all-cotton Sposo-Easy from GMD for an easy change.

I prefer a trimmer fit, so I'm not sure if the one-size will feel too bulky? I'd planned to try a few maybe (GMD has Snug to Fit Supreme on sale).

Based on my preferences, how can I keep this simple? In other words, I'd rather not have one of every kind of diaper, but rather, quickly streamline down to one type of fitted, one or two types of cover, one AIO, etc.

Please give me your thoughts. Really wanting CD to work for us, so I'm trying to puzzle through all of the options and make good decisions from the get-go. Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 01-31-2010, 03:19 PM

I haven't used all the diapers you mentioned, but I really like motherease one-size fitteds and don't find them bulky at all. I also really like their aio's. Doesn't take any longer to dry than my other fitteds/pf's.

For covers, I usually go for wool or Thirsties.

It can be overwhelming b/c there are so many options, but keep in mind that even if you get something that you really don't care for later, you can often resell it for a decent price so all is not lost.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#3 of 3 Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 PM

Fitteds: You might like the little lions fitteds. We use those in combo with GMD prefolds and really like both. I think its always a good idea to have at least a dozen prefolds on hand if you run low of others on laundry day. You may end up loving them too! We also have the loveybums fitteds...decent but more expensive then I generally like to pay. We also have and like the mother ease one sized. They are a great diaper (be sure to get the doublers).

Wool: Love the loveybums wool crepe covers, aristocrat, and natural blue cloud (from etsy) for daytime, disana is our favorite night time cover

Other covers: we have bummis and thirsties for out and about (and before the morning poop!) both are great, I tend to stick with wool at home though

AIO's: Someone gave us some sposoeasy. They didn't fit well on DD and maybe we should have gone up a size although she was within the weight range given. Maybe just not a good fit for us. The bottombumpers are cotton and fit her really well.

HTH!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page