Done with the newborn stash...but will anything really fit a newborn!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-26-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...it's finally complete. The newborn stash lies washed and waiting for that little baby bum. And that is the thing. The babys bum is sooooo little and the diapers I have are not.

Here is my stash:

24 Lukes Drawers newborn hugs (which aren't little, they are huge to me!)

10 fireflys SOS

12 infant prefolds

6 hemp prefolds (which say infant but can't be, they would be way to big)

2 various small fitted diapers

All of these diapers seem HUGE for a newborn, but they are newborn sizes

I also have:

4 newborn Bummies SWW
3 small Bummies SWW
1 Buckeye Bottoms small wrap
1 AJ wool soaker

The Bummies newborns should fit, but will four be enough?

Do you just put huge diapers on little babies?

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#2 of 14 Old 02-26-2004, 06:55 PM

No advice, just wanted to commiserate with you! I have stuff in both newborn and in size small, and the newborn stuff is definitely smaller for the most part. Most of that stuff is supposed to fit approx from 6 to approx 10-12 lbs and the infant and small sized stuff runs about 8-10 to 15 lbs. Since this is my last baby, I've bought a little of everything in every size. I'd rather have it and not need it then vice versa. I also bought a lot of the teeny tiny stuff knowing it would only fit for a few weeks or maybe a month or two, but that I'd also be able to use it from day one. I'd say to definitely at least get more covers.

FWIW, the bulk of my early days/weeks stash is kissaluvs 0's and premie pf's. Covers are diaperwraps (similar to proraps, I think), LC wool, fmbg pul, some random gerber wraps, SPB fleece and some other stuff. For once baby hits around 10-12 lbs (depending on build), then I'll move into the infant pf's, Liz's size one, sp size one, cuddlebuns one size, motherease rikki wrap smalls, fcb size one, phunkymama wool small, cuddlewools one sizers, bummis, etc.
#3 of 14 Old 02-26-2004, 07:22 PM

I am currently getting a few things for the newborn stage as well. I do have preemie prefolds and infant prefolds but I plan to get more fitteds. I wasnt going to waste the money but darn it I think I may need them.:LOL I have been very hesitant to spend the $$$$ on Kissaluvs but as long as you take really good care of them you can sell them for almost what you paid for them. I am going to test out a few wahm newborn fitteds and will probably get more of those after I see and feel them. I also went to the www.Motherease.com yesterday and bought some x-small Sandies. They were very inexspensive compared to Kissaluvs (although I still plan to get at least a 1/2 dozen of those) I think they were$7.95 each and I also bought a xs rikki wrap to go with them. That is what the rep from Motherease said works the best. She said they were made for the x-small Sandies. I bought 6 Sandies and the cover for $60 including shipping. I think thats pretty good. They have great resale value as well. I decided to get some of those after a kind mama here showed me a picture of her dd in an x-small Sandy when she was just a couple of weeks old. If you missed that thread I think this is it http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=118449 .
#4 of 14 Old 02-26-2004, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I also went to the www.Motherease.com yesterday and bought some x-small Sandies. They were very inexspensive compared to Kissaluvs (although I still plan to get at least a 1/2 dozen of those) I think they were$7.95 each and I also bought a xs rikki wrap to go with them.
I went and looked at them too after seeing the pic of Lisa's dd, they looked so cute on her. But I couldn't tell- do they have an umbilical cord notch, or come down low enough not to bother the cord stump? Anyone know? I am rather obsessed with my newborn dipes not disturbing my baby's cord stump.
#5 of 14 Old 02-26-2004, 07:39 PM

I dont think they do. Maybe she waited until after it fell off before she used them. Hmm maybe we should ask her.:LOL In the picture it is definitely covering it.
#6 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't stand things that are too big on newborns, and my son wore mostly training pants from 6 mo on, so I like things to fit like underwear anyway. The only things I've found so far that are close to the size of my newborn trainers (my own pattern) are Bitty Buns NB and ElBee NB or XS. Angel Wraps XS are pretty close, though the rise is a little higher than I like. I'm making a bunch of basic, tiny fitteds for the first couple of months to have enough in addition to the few of these that I have and the rest I'm saving until a little later. It seems most people would rather just have the dipes be a little big than spend the $$ on something so tiny it only fits a couple of months, but the fit is more important to me.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#7 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 02:20 AM

Sorry, didn't read all the replies so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned kissaluvs.
Kissaluv 0's are EXCELLENT size for newborns....I really liked 100% cotton nikky newborn covers for them when I wanted to fit clothes on him. VERY TRIM. and we used a crat and handmade soaker for when i had a gown on him and bulky didn't matter.
#8 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 02:40 AM

I think the best way to make the most is to use preemie prefolds with your fav wrap. These are SOO cheap. Then you can use them as wipes or to stuff your pocket diapers. That is my plan for next baby....not that there is one in the oven yet!
#9 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 10:09 AM

well, if you think diapering a newborn is bad, try a 4.5 pound preemie, LOL!!!! GReg lived in soem fitteds I whipped up purposely tiny so that they would fit him those first weeks or so (thinking he was going to be a full term newborn) and they worked awesome for about 6 weeks. Now he's in newborn stuff, and I'm finding that our diapers from Becky (sellin threads, don't think she has a website, but she's over at amity's) are the best fit-these diapers ROCK!!! I've got some dewdrops as well that fit nicely.
#10 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Banned

My bun in the oven has over 60 diapers, and 2 outfits LOL! Good thing s/he will be a summer baby

I have preemie and infant Indian prefolds, and various newborn and smalls from various WAHM.

Our newborn LC from fluffymail will be our coming home diaper. It has little sailboats all over it and is just perfect
#11 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 12:35 PM

Sarah,
Are we going to get to see some pics of these cute diapers on a cute baby soon? when are you due?

Sailboats.....can't wait! That sounds like it is to die for !!

Makes me want another one! you are contagious!!!
#12 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 01:09 PM

my daughter Lorrie was 7-1 and I had a hard time with flat folds, she looked like a pumpkin butt!

Valerie was 8-1 so they did not look so bad on her.

Zeke and Alek both had Nanipoos newborn fitted diapers, these diapers are awesome. Fit was perfect for both. Zeke was 8-1 and Alek was 9-2.

Fitted's are so much better fitting on a tiny bum in my opinion.
#13 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Banned

I'll post pictures as soon as the babe is born, don't you worry!

Unfortunatly we've still got 12 weeks to go, I'm due May 22nd!
#14 of 14 Old 02-27-2004, 05:58 PM

I'm so inspired by this thread!

I just don't like prefold, plain and simple, so the only situation where I can see me using them is if the baby is born preemie and they are the only dipes I can get on short notice.

I have to agree that the Nanipoos newborns are the most adorable fitted newborn dipe!! And the price is VERY reasonable. I saw one for $6.50 that got snatched up. I'll probably contact the WAHM there when I'm closer to my due date to order some.

I agree, phishmama - I've been agonizing over this issue. Do I spend $$ to get nice, cute fitted dipes for those early newborn weeks? Or do I go cheap. Well, I've decided to spend. I want to get "a little bit of everything" as you said. Anything I don't use, I can sell (also plan for this to be last baby).

I'm definitely going to get some Kissaluvs 0, some colours for sure, too. And some Sandy's in x-small. I just wish I didn't have to use the rikki wraps: I hate velcro and don't even own any. I'm hoping I can find some small PUL covers somewhere that will work instead.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page