A few questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to the whole CD'ing experience and want to know the best way to wash them my hubby is under the impression I need to use bleach but I have a feeling that I don't can anyone set me straight on this?
Also I set up a registry for diapers since we haven't had a baby in over 6 years and really want to try cloth well the site that I used wildflowerbabies quickly had out of stock marked on most of the diaper covers and pocket diapers I put up.So now I don't know what to do!I guess if I don't get any I will use sposies but my heart is set on cloth.We are just living very frugally right now so I am wondering what I can do to make cloth easier.I wish I sewed but I don't.
#2 of 8 Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Cost: Prefolds or flats is the cheapest way to CD. By going into pocket diapers full-time, you'll take a huge leap in cost: you need 24-36 diapers to diaper a newborn for 2-3 days, so... say you were diapering with Green Mountain (GMD) prefolds at $24/dozen and 6 Thirsties covers at $11.25 each, that'd be about $140. Whereas BumGenius or FuzziBunz pockets are about $18 each, so that'd be over $600. (Gulp.)

Of course, if you wanted, you could do something like prefolds during the day, pockets at night to keep costs lower. Of you could just decide to go with pockets but wash every day, so you could buy fewer.

Little Lions has really good prices on seconds-quality prefolds. I don't have any myself, but have heard that they're still good quality, just with something like a stitching error or loose thread. And you can get a dozen infant PF seconds for $13, less than the cost of a single pocket diaper, so the price is hard to beat!

You can also buy second-hand diapers: shipping cost makes that less of a good deal for flats and prefolds, but you could see what's out there in pockets. There's a FSOT here on MDC (I think) and also there's diaperswappers.com.

But if I were concerned about the cost of CDing, I'd be looking at prefolds/flats and covers, not at pockets to start. YMMV!

Bleach: I think there's this weird anti-bleach bias that I don't understand. Bleach is AWESOME if you diaper with non-natural fibers that eventually build up a stinky bacterial load, like pockets. You don't need a lot of bleach, either. Just a quarter cup maybe once a month. IMO, a small amount of bleach is just not this terrible-for-the-environment thing, particularly if it helps you avoid the strip-rinse-rinse-rinse cycle you otherwise get into.

For prefolds (or other all-natural fabrics that are thin and easy to wash/dry), I don't think you're as likely to need bleach.

HTH!

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#3 of 8 Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Another option is to check Craigslist for used diapers. I've gotten some great diapers for a steal from CL. I got a dozen small contour dipes, about 6 small covers, 5 fitteds, an AIO, some hemp inserts, a Snappi, and 2 wool covers for $30 once! I kept what I needed and gave away the rest.

I've been CDing for about 6 months and don't even own bleach. I've never used it or felt like I needed it, but in a few more months I may change my mind!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 8 Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM

I agree with the bleach thing, I dont need it very often but every couple months I put in 1 of the bleach caps full (so like a T or so) It does the trick though. I was a pocket fan but the washing was annoying because they got stinkies and were harder to get rinsed clean of the soap. I also hated stuffing them after washing . I used prefolds for the first year of diapering and have since gone back to prefolds about a year ago. I had forgotten how wonderful they were. I have the Little Lions prefolds and they are wonderful, the seconds are nearly impossible to tell they are seconds. I love the blueberry one size covers. They are about 17$ a cover not on sale but will last you the entire time of cloth diapering a baby.
If you have anyother questions ask away, we all love talking cloth diapers

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 8 Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM

I agree with the pp - if you're going for frugal, pockets are not the way to go.

But on the bleach issue, if you're using synthetic fibers, you're far more likely to want/need bleach than if you're using all natural fibers. I've been diapering for 5 months with all natural fibers and never once even considered bleach. But I also seem to recall hearing that bleach can eat PUL over time, which is why it's not recommended.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 8 Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Well, if you are living frugally, then cloth diapers are the way to go, particularly prefolds and covers. Yes, they are a bit pricey up front (depending on what you buy) but in the long run the cost of cloth is far, far less than the cost of the 8-10K disposable diapers you will need. I think the latest stat I read is that a babies sposie total cost is close to $3K.

In terms of bleach, it really depends on what you buy and how you wash. THe big issues with bleach are health and the efficacy of the diaper. Bleaches with tons of chemicals just are not going to be good close to your baby's skin, particularly if your child has sensitive skin. You will just need to rinse well in order to get the bleach out. An alternative is to use the sun as your disinfectant, whitener. There is nothing better.

The other issue with bleach, as a previous poster noted, is that it can ruin the PUL on the diapers and corrode the snaps and grommets. That is why many manufacturers discourage its use. It can also void the warranty. So, check that before you buy.

Good luck with your cloth diapering journey. Don't worry about stuff being out of stock. It will be back in stock soon.

WAHM to three, all natural, organic and sports-obsessed boys:. MDC7 for 7% off at www.cottontailbaby.com or www.mamaclothonline.com for all your cloth diapering and natural family living needs:
#7 of 8 Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM

There are lots of places to register that would keep things in stock (not sure why the site you chose has things out of stock?), or perhaps you could just ask friends/family who ask you what you need to give you $ for CDs?

I never use bleach, but I use natural fiber diapers exclusively so it doesn't seem to be needed. I do like to use a little Bac-Out (by BioKlean) in a cold soak... seems to help with stinky issues for us.

I used prefolds and covers exclusively with dd1. Worked out fine, and we always just secured the diaper with the cover (no snappi or pins). My parents, and my dh were fine with that setup and it really wasn't too hard. With dd2, I got more into fitteds and wool (dh and my parents now use snapping fitteds)... mostly at home now I use flats. They dry so much quicker than prefolds. With a doubler for each flat, I find they work about the same, but I can line dry them if I want.

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
#8 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Julian diapers or nickis diapers might have a better stock in diapers.

Country Save detergent is great for diapers and everyone's laundry. Consider switching from your detergent, which probably has perfumes, enzymes, softners and brightners--don't want those on diapers.

www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com has great info on detergent and washing.

I've tried lost of variations for washing, but have found that two washes gets my diapers clean. First wash is cold and second wash is hot. I soak sticky toddler poo diapers overnight and rinse in the washer, then add other diapers. Works!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page