Cloth diapering? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
none of mine would ever take one.. when i was pregnant with my son i thought i would never in sa million years use one, but then we had breastfeeding issues and he had colic and i needed smething that would make him happy, but no... it was a hard time, but got better.. my other two just never would. they are boobie kids through and through

i was just going through my nb stash of diapers.. i have a good set of nb unbleached prefolds that i bought when my youngest was born. they are what i used most of the time. i also have a selection of fitteds..mostly all bought from the trading post here.
im back to using cloth 100% with my daughter. getting pregnant made me feel like doing it. and she is not peeing the diapers at night and going on the potty 95% of the time just like that. its amazing! she woud always pee on the potty but not poop and now she is telling me she needs to go and insisting on using the big toilet.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#32 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

None of my nurslings would really take a pacifier... my daughter did for a few weeks because I had such an abundant supply she wanted to comfort nurse but was unable to because I was drowning her each time she would suckle. lol I hated that she took it though.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#33 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post
I've seen many babies (and up to 4 year olds) with and many babies without. Personally, I feel that it helps when they are very young (learning how to suck, breath, and swallow) but I don't think I will use one beyond a very young age, or after they master breastfeeding. I used to work in the NICU with the premies, and they all had these tiny little pacifiers. They used them to help train them with sucking. But after they got it down, we didn't use them anymore and surprisingly, they didn't mind!
Hmmm...there is a lot of evidence that shows that pacifiers can actually really interfere with breastfeeding, not only by causing nipple confusion but by reducing the amount of at-breast suckling that serves to boost a mother's milk supply. I'd be wary about using a pacifier to "train" a baby to suck -- the best way to do that is get that baby to the breast and work on his/her latch!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concerns/pacifier.html for instance...

And FWIW, my DD was perma-latched for the first few months of her life -- 45 minutes out of every hour most days. I was her human pacifier. Believe me, there were some days I *wished* she would take a pacifier, but she wouldn't have anything to do with it.

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#34 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 PM

I have read that pacifiers can interfere with breastfeeding as well. I believe "Ina May Guide to Breastfeeding" goes over this. However I am sure there are mothers who successfully breastfeed and us pacifiers all the time.
For me and my husband we both have grown up in family that have raised babies with out pacifiers for generation. I think my family did not use pacifiers because they thought it was a dirty habit you would later have to break you child of, and that it is way of "shutting your baby up" instead of paying attention to it. However I have heard other women say it is cruel to deny your child a pacifier, because they have an instinctual desire to suck. My husbands family as been more of the belief that if the baby wants to suck then give it a breast to suck on.
Seeing has how I don't really have anything to do but take care of my baby after the birth, I don't mind giving the no pacifier thing a try. Ask me how I feel after week three of no sleep
#35 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

calihannah- Most of the babies we worked with were very premature and wouldn't breastfeed. The mother could only be in the NICU for certain times and some wouldn't come very much. Some of the babies were drug babies (addicted to cocaine, etc) and were extremely colic. (those really enjoyed the stimulation of paci's) Preference with the pacifier differed form baby to baby. However, most of the premies wouldn't breastfeed and being that they HAD to gain weight, a pacifier for practice and bottle with special formula suited them well. The mommas pumped until the babies took to breastfeeding. And once they did, the paci's stopped!

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#36 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Crystal, I see your point with using pacifiers to shut babies up instead of paying attention to them. I've called them plugs for years because of precisely that. I've seen far too many parents simply shove a paci in their kid's mouth when it started to cry instead of seeing what was going on.

That said, two of my three took pacifiers for a very short amount of time. No more than three weeks. I was in the hospital with my middle daughter and called my then-husband in tears and begged him to bring me a pacifier. She wanted to nurse in her sleep, and every time I put her down she'd wake up. Since the hospital wouldn't allow me to co-sleep, I had to do something to be able to lay her down so I could get some sleep myself. The paci was a lifesaver in that application, and in keeping her from crying in her car seat. After about two weeks she spat it out & never used it again.

I used it for much the same reasons when my youngest was a newborn, and she kept hers about three weeks.

I don't mind being a human pacifier most of the time, but eventually I do need a break. A pacifier helped me, and in neither case did it hurt breastfeeding. Of course, that's probably because I used it only when I had to.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#37 of 43 Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 AM

Any thoughts on gDiapers biodegradable diapers.
#38 of 43 Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalE View Post
Any thoughts on gDiapers biodegradable diapers.
I was given a few covers (3 i think.) for gDiapers when my midwife gave me a whole huge stack of motherease one size and covers after my last baby was born. i never used them with her, but im considering trying them out this time around. might as well right? the only issue for me is if they are septic safe, because we are all on septic and i know most flushable things you are still not suppost to flush. maybe compost them (in a sepperate place from food compost)??

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#39 of 43 Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
gDiapers are ok. Great for running out and about and overnights if you have heavy soakers. I used inserts to make them reusable when I ran out of inserts. The fit on these is a bit better for skinny, thin legged babies, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#40 of 43 Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 PM

I haven't read too many good reviews on the gDiapers. It was enough to turn me off and not want to buy them. I heard they are best for skinny babes, which none of mine ever are.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#41 of 43 Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Wow that Jillian's Drawers trial seems like a great deal, I may end up doing that.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#42 of 43 Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM

I sold/gave away our stash because we were DONE

I really liked the Bumgenius. I'm sure that'll be most of our stash.

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#43 of 43 Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Moved to the Diapering forum.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page