Cloth diapering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-06-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

This will be my first baby! We've already made the decision to cloth diaper but after much research, I still don't know which brand to fill my stash with. Need some expert momma advice! (By the way, I really like the elastic adjustment system in the Fuzzibunz, but wanted natural cloth/fibers. However, conversations is not limited to this kind!) I'd like to keep my stash filled with one or two brands to keep it simple for family and DH. A few questions..

Which cloth diapers do you prefer? And why?

Which do you use the most for day? And for the night?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#2 of 43 Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 PM

Ah. I was waiting for this to get posted!

With CD it's all about preference, how often you want to wash and dry diapers (if at all). Take into consideration how many changes you will be doing initially. Breastmilk poop is so much easier to deal with sticky toddler poop! (thank goodness DS is potty trained) Generally speaking, the # of changes in a day look something like this:

Newborn - 4 Months (8-12 changes daily)

5 Months - 15 Months (7-9 changes daily)

16 Months - 30 Months (6-7 changes daily)

With DS I did a combo of prefolds and covers & the Fuzzi Bunz- I got the FB off of craigslist for a sweet deal that saved tons of money.

IMO I think prefolds and covers are the cheapest system out there.

Personally, I am planning to use a diaper service for this baby. My washing/drying machines are old & not so environmentally friendly. It rains here most of the winter, so drying outside is not an option. I've spent the past few months crunching numbers, and this will be cheaper than doing all the washing, rinsing, and sanitizing here. Maybe with all that money I'll be saving I can finally get some new machines.

Many websites out there have packages available that offer a sample of each system: 1 AIO, 1 pocket (ie: FB), 1 prefold & cover, and 1 fitted & cover. Sometimes, that's a good way to go, and then after you try out all the different systems samples, you'll know what you like best and then you can stock up. Craigslist, Garage sales, local sales from families of multiples are great ways to get awesome deals on CDs.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Mary, wife to Christian, mama to Ale (5/31/07), and thrilled to be expecting #2 in November 2010
#3 of 43 Old 03-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Okay, I CDd my son fulltime until he was 2. I have a small fortune in cloth dipes in a closet. I loved fuzzibunz. I switched to Gdiapers for my daughter and put hemp and chinese prefolds in them. Now I guiltily admit with my third that i use Nature Baby Care disposables (bleech-free and compostable). They are pricey, though, and I feel guilty. Good luck on your search. The diaper board is full of info too - and I'm sure lots of our mommies will give you some useful tidbits.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#4 of 43 Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 PM

i CD'd with my son full time.. till he was totally out of diapers at about 2..
with the exception of travel..i did use disposables on occasion then.

with my middle daughter i did EC with her mostly at first & used cloth, but i think from about a year on started using disposables at night. i never found anything that worked well for her..she was out of diapers by 2 as well.

with my youngest i did do some EC but not as much as with #2.. i used cloth for the first year, then moved and got into the habit of using disposables half the time.. then we moved again and i have been mostly using disp. although at home she is diaper free mostly and using the potty. she is by far my oldest diaper wearer and im hoping it will pass soon. im getting tired of changing toddler diapers. i think that the main reason i hate using cloth these days is because generally when i put any diaper on her in a day is when she poops..she isn't p into pooping on the potty much and washing out poop... *sigh* im just burnt out on it and my laundry is piled high as it is..

i hate being a polluter though, and i am aware every time i reach for one that im causing the earth harm.. i do buy "green" ones, which are hopefully more earth friendly.

i do plan to EC & CD with the next baby.. i have a whole stash of nice newborn cloth so i will put them to use..and since this one and my youngest will be almost 3 years apart i think EC will be much easier. i found the 2 year age gap just a bit harder..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 43 Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 PM

You will get different opinions from everybody on which dipes are their favorites. I only cd'd my most recent babe we ec'd a bit, too. For little butts I really like prefolds and a cover. When they get a bit older I liked pocket dipes. I didn't really need to change it up too much for nighttime dipes because my daughter didn't wet at night past 3 mos.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#6 of 43 Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! Appreciate it.

I don't think we are going to go the prefold and cover route, for my hubbys sake. He would be way too intimidated by it. We really want to go the AIO, one size, or pocket dipes. From my research, I have a checklist of what I want in a cloth diaper. 1.one size diaper so we wont have to buy every size, 2. elastic adjustment instead of button down adjustment, 3. preferably natural fibers, 4. snaps as aplix tends to wear in the wash. With that being said, we are considering SoftBums and Rocky Mountain diapers.

Anyone have any experience with those brands?

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif

#7 of 43 Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 PM

One size typically isn't good for the newborn period. They are just too big and bulky. So it would probably be good to get some newborn dipes for at least the first few weeks.

I don't have experience with those brands... the one size I do have experience with our Tiny Tush. I like them well enough... they made it through most of Sage's cd experience.

#8 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 AM

I'm going to cloth diaper for the first time with this one. Wish me luck, LOL. We will be using prefolds & covers--anything else is simply cost prohibitive.

Here's a question--does anyone know a good brick & mortar store where I can get diaper covers? Wal-Mart doesn't seem to carry them anymore. I'm busily crocheting soakers, but I'd like to have options.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#9 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 12:55 AM

I'm still CDing my 21 month old (although I want to have her out of diapers by November). I LOVE cloth diapers. I have a giant stash of prefolds and covers (two sizes) and 20 Bum Genius that are getting pretty worn out. I initially loved the velcro closures because I hate messing with snaps on a squirmy baby, but the laundry tabs wore out and everything sticks to each other. I tried my hand at sewing some flannel fitteds, which turned out not too bad so I want to make a few small sized ones, and I may invest in a small variety of other fitted diapers, I'd like to try out some bamboo and cotton. I find that natural fibres don't get as much icky ammonia smell in the diaper pail as the synthetic ones.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#10 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 01:09 AM

Sagesgirl They can be hard to come by, I've only seen them at children's specialty stores. I use Bummis and they are great, you can order them online, but I have the luxury of living in a city with several yuppy baby boutiques. I agree, pre-folds are for sure the most economical choice, and I like them, they wash great and don't smell as much, you can change the fold depending on your needs. Only draw back in the early days was my DD would wait about 4 days and then have a giant poo explosion that would leak onto the cover, so it's good to have a few, I got by with 4 size small. I learned to always always put a onesie on over top and it keeps any leaks off the clothes.
KieraW likes this.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#11 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 02:31 AM

Well, we like different types and brands for different reasons.

When DS1 was born what we did was buy all of one type of diaper. Which later we ended up ditching.

What I WISH we had done was buy a variety of diapers to try out, and then invest in the ones we liked the most. So, if I was going to do it again, I would start putting away $20 a month (maybe a little more) in the sock drawer. And then for the baby shower have friends buy a variety of newborn diapers to try out, or lend you a couple of theirs to try, and then when you find what works for your family plunk down the cash for what you like--which really, could be more than one brand or type.

We currently use BumGenius one size pocket diapers because they work really well, and the one size part is important for our budget. But, they don't work well for the newborn period. They are really more of a one size for 2 or 3 months and up. But we are still using them now and guy is 2.

We have in the past used plain old prefolds and covers, which is an extremely economical and practical choice. We only switched to pockets because my older son had low muscle tone and needed diapers with less bulk.

Anyway, I love cloth diapering. It almost becomes a hobby if you let it!

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#12 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use Osocozy AIOs on my 10 1/2 month old babe. I had my 2 1/2 year old in them too, before he decided to use the potty. I LOVE them!

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#13 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM

We bought one size diapers before DS was born an quickly realized that they wouldn't fit him for quite some time! We ended up using Kissaluvs size 0 and Thirsties covers. I loved them and I'm looking forward to using them again! I have heard of some people doing a "rental" of the Kissaluvs size 0 through Sunshine Diapers, but if you plan on having more than one baby, it makes sense to buy.

After DS outgrew the Kissaluvs, we did a trial through Jillian's Drawers to figure out what to buy next. I found it immensely helpful because diapers fit babies in different ways depending on their shape/build so I needed to see how things would fit before I committed. The basics of the trial is that she sends you seven different brands/types of new diapers and you use them for 21 days. Afterwards you send them back and get all but $10 of your money back. No penalty for stained diapers!

We now use mostly bumGenius, but I wish that we had done the Fuzzi Bunz one-size. They didn't have those when I bought my stash and I am so tired of the aging velcro!!

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

#14 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm planning on CD this little-bitty. I did CDing with my son starting at age 2 and really only when were together (he was in school FT). Even then we didn't do it 100%. This time I will have the little tike with me and eventually will just take a stash to his (o gosh, was that subliminal - maybe it's a "her"...) school. I used Fuzzy Bunz (they were OK) and also used "Mamamade" AIO (they were awesome, I want to see if she is still around..). I have already looked into buying gdiapers and will most likely use them exclusively. I want to go exclusive once I find the brand I like.

Mommyh74
#15 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I CD'd with my first two, and can't really see doing anything else. However, the details are going to depend on our financial situation, as most of what we've used previously is all worn out.

I'm partial to one-size fitted diapers, and have had my eyes on BellaBottoms since back when DD was still in diapers. I also want some pocket dipes. But we may just end up doing prefolds.

I suppose I should get myself together at some point and attempt to make some covers out of the felted wool sweaters I have lying around! Covers will be much more plausible to move with us than the sweaters themselves.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#16 of 43 Old 03-07-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Need some opinions!!

After spending much of the day on the computer researching CD more and more..I'm 90% sure we are going to go with SoftBums. You can reuse the covers if they aren't soiled and the insert just snap in an out. And they have organic options! They also come in a snap version under special request.

I still really like Rocky Mountain Diapers though. Decisions, decisions. The only thing I don't like about them is that there is suede against the baby instead of an organic bamboo or cotton. And the tabs fold up on the bottom since there is only one row of snaps. What do you think about them?

I'm a bit OCD and would really like to have a one brand diapering system to keep things simple for DH and the family.

Opinions? Check these two dipes out!

RMD's- http://www.rockymountaindiapers.com/ClothDiapers.html

Softbums- http://www.softbums.com/catalog.php?category=2

#17 of 43 Old 03-08-2010, 02:51 AM

I cd my 16 month old. We use all one size diapers, bumgenius brand.
For the new baby I plan to use prefolds (24) and covers (6) until baby is ready for the one size diapers. bumgenius makes a great organic diaper.
#18 of 43 Old 03-08-2010, 04:40 AM

*lurking as I'm hoping to be here*

How about BG OS organic all in one? I really like it. Natural cotton against baby's skin, comes in snaps, one size and a smart (I think) AIO, and super easy for Dad's and babysitters. Super trim..One of my favorite dipes!

Another one that I like is the dreameze AIO, again, natural fibers, snaps..but these are sized.

There are a lot more that I like but these are the two that came to mind for you and also two of my faves!

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#19 of 43 Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've looked alot into the BG organic with snaps. It's really appealing to me, but I keep reading reviews on how the baby doesn't fit in them as long as advertised.

BG pros:
AIO
organic
snaps
great colors
trim
one size

BG cons:
babies dont fit in them as soon or as long (so you have to buy additonal NB dipes to use for a while)
snaps on front can be confusing for DH

Softbums pros:
organic
really fits a newborn
comes in snaps
elastic adjustment system
different inserts to choose from
trim
can reuse cover and just change insert

Softbums cons:
not an AIO
more expensive
longer prep

How long did your babies fit in BG os?
And how trim were they when the baby was a newborn?
Any leaks or problems in the wash? (stripping etc)

Thanks!

#20 of 43 Old 03-08-2010, 01:59 PM

I bought a bunch of homemade diapers a while back... hopefully they work. I'm going to be crocheting some covers as well. I'd have liked to do EC, but DP isn't into it.

placenta.gifeat.gif I'm a queer / trans-activist / poly / pagan / (dis)abled  / crazy / crunchy partner to fsonj; we're mamas to our unschooled/freeskooled 10yo, and co-breastfeed our sprightly toddler love.gif born Nov '10! (Ask me about how to supplement at the breast!)

#21 of 43 Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I love bumgenius, g-dipes, and kissaluvs. So that will be our staple stash again.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#22 of 43 Old 03-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, I didn't use the bg os aio with my son. I had fuzzibunz for him, but this was about 4 years ago. Also, my son was HUUUUUGE and would have been out of the OS before 16 months... which is why I don't want to do a OS. I got a couple of bg os aio for my friend's baby, who is much smaller. She was big when she was born at 9 lbs, but didn't truely fit in the diaper until she was closer to 12 lb I think. Even though she could wear them as a tiny newborn since she was big. Then, now at 16 months she is very average sized in every way. She is on the largest rise, and a few snaps in. So it should fit her until she's past 2.... But this is again why I'm not a huge fan of OS. Although for most babies, they will cover a size S-L, but not the XS or XL side.

For me, I am going to do a mix this time around but I'm really into the new thirsties duo diaper. Its a 2 size instead of one, so size 1 fits the true newborn through 18-20 lbs, and size 2 fits 18-20 through the true toddler through potty learning. It also is a sleeve style so the insert (hemp on side & microfiber the other) agitates out in the wash...and I also love Thirsties gussets for preventing leaks. The downsides to these diapers (for me) is that they only come in velcro, and they're not natural fibers.

Looking at the softbums.. they look great for the most part! I don't see how they come in snaps though? I only see velcro. My only other concern would be the way the fabric on the legs is makes me wonder about possible leaks. But that is so hit or miss. Some of the reviews on this diaper says it leaks, and others say it's perfectly awesome. I will probably order one for my friend to test out on her daughter. lol, she's my little guinea pig.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the snaps and your dh. It might be a little confusing the first few times but he will get it quickly. Also he never has to mess with the rise snaps, you can be in charge of that. They just keep snapped where they're at. And the other snaps aren't that difficult on the bg organic aio os. I also have a rocky mountain and yes that is cleaner and simpler (like this adjustment style more than FB OS) but I have to say I do not like the way the inside fabric feels. JMO

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#23 of 43 Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've cloth diapered through all 4 kids, since my oldest was a day old and am definitely planning on continuing. In fact I will probably be using the same infant prefolds from my 1st, they are still in great condition.
I use mostly prefolds, woolies and some PUL covers.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#24 of 43 Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Out of confusion and curiosity, I ordered..
1 organic bumgenius
1 organic softbums
1 rocky mountain diaper

Although I had read and watched countless reviews, no one seems to compare them in ONE video. I wanted to see the quality for myself and compare the quality of each before and after being washed many times. I know it's still super early in pregnancy, but I am definitely going to CD my kiddoes so I will definitely get use of these 3! (I am also doing full time school from May-August so I'd like to get alot of baby stuff done while I still have time on my hands) And I think it will help me make the final decision on what to buy for my stash! (I'd really like a one brand diaper system going) When I get a video up, I will most definitely post it here! Hope it can help some of you out as well.

#25 of 43 Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM

Touch and feel I don't think are the same as actually using a diaper on your baby. Some diapers will work better at certain times than others. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying, just trying to point out that it's not so cut and dry. It's hard to tell if your baby will have chubby legs or thin legs or what their rise will be.. there's so many variables involved when it comes to cloth diapering. Also, what works for one baby.... might not work for another. Just a heads up.

#26 of 43 Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM

And what works at one point in time might be miserable at another point or vice versa...DD was born with the skinniest legs on earth -- to the point that we used sposies as they were the only thing that worked (since DH couldn't deal with prefolds, silly guy) and then found that kissaluvs fitteds plus covers worked for us later on when her thighs bulked up into those wonderful chunk-o-breastfed-love legs But the size 0 kissaluvs wouldn't have ever worked for us!

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#27 of 43 Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

They are being put to the test with my best friends babe! She is considering switching to CDing and if she likes them, she will buy them from me! I really want to see quality of them first before buying more than one at a time though. Let you know how it goes!

#28 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 AM

Oh I love this thread. My husband and I have felt very alone in wanting to use cloth diapers. Everyone we know thanks we are crazy. It is great to see there are other out there. I had no idea we would have so many options. Now if there is a thread about raising babies without pacifiers I am all set!
#29 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 AM

Hmm.... I think pacifiers serve a purpose. My oldest took one, I was unable to successfully breastfeed him. He needed to suck more than just at feeding time.

#30 of 43 Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I've seen many babies (and up to 4 year olds) with and many babies without. Personally, I feel that it helps when they are very young (learning how to suck, breath, and swallow) but I don't think I will use one beyond a very young age, or after they master breastfeeding. I used to work in the NICU with the premies, and they all had these tiny little pacifiers. They used them to help train them with sucking. But after they got it down, we didn't use them anymore and surprisingly, they didn't mind!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page