embarrassing question about dirty diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I generally wash wet diapers by hand (along with most of our laundry), and once a week DH takes the poopy diapers to the laundromat because they get cleaner. But the last few weeks, things have happened that prevented him from getting there. Finally (3mo old+pregnancy brain!) I realized how long they've been sitting around and, sure enough, they're crusty and funky with old poo.

How do I wash these?? Do they need to be disinfected? What's the best way?

Thanks!

Edited to add: these are cotton flats and prefolds

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#2 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 PM

I like boiling my cotton prefolds

I'd imagine you could probably scrape the poo off, wash them by hand until the rinse water runs clear, let them soak in OxiClean (or other oxygen cleaner) to help get rid of the staining and smell, boil them for 10-12 minutes to kill the cooties, and be set to go.

I don't have preggo brain, but I still find diapers that I forgot about...

I'm Kim... Coloradoan, nursing student, and devoted Momma to miracle baby Samuel (August 11, 2009)
#3 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kim! Glad to hear I'm not the only one

Btw, Samuel is DS's middle name! I love it.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#4 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM

I'd probably let them soak for a while to soften everything up, give it a bit of a swirl in the soak water, then get some fresh water and do a basic handwash - nothing too vigorous. Then I'd send him to the laundrymat with the wet dipes.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Scrape off what poop you can, then soak them. Just cold water. Then, scrape off what's left and send them to the laundromat. Maybe put some bacout in the wash water.

If you're going to handwash them, after soaking, wash in cold water then boil them. That's my standard procedure for washing diapers by hand. If I use my mom's machine I always put them on the sani cycle.
#6 of 9 Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely soak first to soften things up. Rinse (with vinegar) and wash normally. Then if they're really bad I'd probably throw in a couple Tbsp of bleach and rinse again.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 AM

I would imagine sunning would help the stains- after the other suggestions of course. I'd go easy on the bleach because it might weaken the fibers. I know this time of year sun is hard to come by, but I'd leave them out for a full day if possible. I just did this with dd's dipes after a few months of not being able to sun them and they are white!
Don't feel bad- I know I've tucked a dirty dipe into the diaper bag and forgot it for a few days... oops. But a rinse, boil, and a wash and it's good as new.
#8 of 9 Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Ditto everything said already. Bleach, boil then sun if possible - whatever your preferred method - and you should be good to go.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#9 of 9 Old 03-13-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I think I'll apply several of these suggestions.

Right now I'm waiting to boil them until I can beg/borrow/buy a larger stockpot than my itty bitty 6 quart one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page