HELP! constantly soaking! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all I need a bit of advice.
My ds is soaking wet all of the time! He is an incredibly heavy wetter, and I just don't know what to do next.
Here's the situation:
He is 20 months old.
We use BTP Motherease and BTP swaddlebees. During the day I team this up with an insert on the inside, Something like fleese/ muslin cloth on the outside then a wool soaker. I have both homemade soakers and a Hans Natur and a Poppolini. I also use a flushable liner.
I have only just switched to wool and was using motherease poly wraps and poppolini poly wraps I had the same problems with these.
I change him at least every 2 or 3 hours.
He drinks ALOT, if I'd let him he'd drink tea all day long. He has about 20 oz of cows milk a day split between bed time and nap time. I don't let him have juice as it seems to make his bum sore...another problem we have.
He is just soaking all the time. It seems not only leaking at the side, but he can soak right through wool wraps in no time, then through several layers of clothes.
I don't even use cloth with him at night as he gets so wet and sore, so I use a disp, with a motherease BTP over that and wool over that, and he still can be wet.
Here are the things I don't want to change or would like to improve on...
I want to stick with cloth,
I want to stick with wool if possible,
I don't really want to restrict how much he's drinking.
So what changes can I make to help the situation? (apart from just making him wear a wetsuit )
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I know it's long but I just don't know what else to do.
Any advice appreciated.
Laura
#2 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 11:44 AM

My DS was a heavy wetter (still is, although he's potty trained now) and a big water drinker. Honestly, the only solution we found was more frequent changing. If I put on enough absorbency to get him through more than an hour, his bum would be too fat to be comfortable. Around the time he turned two, I wound up starting to use disposables anytime I couldn't change him VERY frequently, because it started to be around every half hour that I was having to change him, and I had another one in diapers at the same time and it was just too much, all that changing.

My only suggestion would be more absorbency. The best cover in the world won't contain the wetness if you don't have enough diaper on him. If you're can add more absorbency to the diapers you're using, that might be the way to go. I don't know what BTP means-- but if you're using motherease, those are fitteds, right? I had motherease one-sizes, and we used to fold a prefold in thirds and put it inside the fitted. The inserts you're using may not be enough absorbency-- you may need more than one, or something like a prefold that can soak up more.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM

My son is 7 months old, big time nurser, and super heavy wetter as well. I found that the hemp doubles from Hemp Babies (I got them at CottonBabies.com) definitely helped. Have you looked into wool longies? I haven't used them but they've been recommended to me by several other moms.

With the disposables, I have heard that putting one of those super-ultra overnight menstrual pads (the unscented ones) into the front of the diaper helps, though I can't vouch for it personally.

What I do with Sam at night is I take a Green Mountain Diaper cotton twill prefold, put two hemp doublers in, fold it in thirds, and use that underneath a wool cover from Happy Heineys. I would imagine that topping all that off with a pair of wool longies would complete the get up.

Good luck!

I'm Kim... Coloradoan, nursing student, and devoted Momma to miracle baby Samuel (August 11, 2009)
#4 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM

Does BTP= bamboo terry prefold? (just curious- I had to google it. lol)

I'd 2nd changing more often.
You could also try a hemp insert- I've found that it really does give more absorbancy for the thickness.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#5 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 06:49 PM
npl

I think the OP meant Birth-to-Potty (the British way of saying One Size).
I'm guessing she is using the Motherease One Size.

My advice, besides what everyone else said about using a thirstier doubler, is to try the Motherease Sandy's or another fitted that is more absorbant. The Motherease website gives the absorbancy for each diaper. Sandy's worked well for my heavy-wetters, as did Happy Hempy pockets (just the hemp sherpa that I stuffed with hemp doublers). Not sure if you can get those in the UK, though. Also heard good things about the Tots Bots Bamboozles, although those are pretty pricey (might be better in the UK, being that they are local).
#6 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM

How old are your diapers? Is it possible that they are just wearing out? Do you have a way to experiment with prefolds...because that is what I would recommend...with cotton/hemp doublers.

Also if your little guy is drinking tea that might be part of the issue since it is a diuretic...so he'll pee more than if he were just drinking water.

ETA: Oh, and ladies, Ireland is not in the UK. (Sorry it's the teacher in me coming out).
#7 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npl View Post
I think the OP meant Birth-to-Potty (the British way of saying One Size).
Ah, that makes sense! I saw the bamboo pf's at swaddlebees and thought that was it, but the OS thing makes more sense. I thought I knew all the cd lingo

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#8 of 9 Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 AM
npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

ETA: Oh, and ladies, Ireland is not in the UK. (Sorry it's the teacher in me coming out).

Oops - I stand corrected - I went by the language, and didn't think about the actual location listed! You'd think I'd know better having taught Geog. in England!
#9 of 9 Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all,
Thanks so much for the response!
Really good point about the tea... think that needs to change for starters. I have heard lots of good things about hemp liners so will give them a try.
Yes BTP here in this part of the world is Birth To Potty.
Will give all of the above a try and will let you know how I get on..right off to change a nappy
Laura x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page